It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

elkoscare HB User
Just Diagnosed. Need Help!!

I was just diagnosed with type II diabetes. I think it was brought on by extreme psychological stress.

Here is my concern.

I am 23 years old, and quite healthy. I recently (before being diagnosed) began eating really healthy, and running 15 miles a week. I am by no means overweight. In fact, I have lost 10 lbs. since my stress began.

I have read a lot about improving diet and exercise, but am concerned that these won't help me because I was living that lifestyle before.

The doc has me on Metformin, and I am trying to eat a low carb diet. Lots of veggies and meat.

Is anyone else in this position? Am I likely to have to be on insulin? Please advise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed. Need Help!!

It sounds like you're doing the right things to get your sugar down. You may never need insulin. I know people who take a few different oral meds. for their diabetes and have never had to use insulin. Keep up the good work with your diet and exercise and keep the faith. Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Don't worry, keep up what your doing. I too was like you and never gave a thought to getting this. But I sure did and I kept up my healthy life style and keep walking or running what ever you do because it keeps your BS down.
I did have to change my diet of course because I ate what I wanted and I couldn't continue to do that. Spent a few weeks at the bookstore reading up and learning about carbs, complex carbs, no carbs. I just walked after every meal which I didn't do befor.

You can pretty much keep your sugars down with diet and exercise maybe even get off the meds if you try hard and your Doc is on top of it. Diabetes is a progressive disease but I know many who have had it for 20-30 years and no insulin. Some prefer to be on insulin but I am with you about insulin. Good luck to you and keep on being healthy, it never hurts.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

My husband and his sister have been type 2 for over 30 years and still on oral meds. I was put on meds. 2 years ago in Aug. and my Dr. thinks it is stress related as all my life I had low BS. I'm waiting for my next A1c to see if I can get off of them as she said my diet etc. is fine but due to hubby's health issues the last 3 years it has me under a lot of stress. I'm hoping now that he is getting much better and my stress is less things will get better. Just keep doing what your doing.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 08-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
(male)

howardman652 HB User

hello ! wow your young for diabetes well I am 57 yrs old and i been active working for years also i have been a heavy set man for yrs i had two older children in their 30's always worked till i got sick in 2003 i had a back problem went back to work been sicke now since last summer with diabetes type 2 also just had a cacinoid canerous tumer remover from my belly . so are you keeping the sugars level down keep your morning readings low . I developed this verve damge in my feet from diabetes pain full and i aslo developed a hernia since the surgery i just had .i really am disabled now the pain from my feet and back too painfull. I can advise you to keep control on sugar your young for this disease ! I have ben to support groups and doctors are pushing a gastrick bypass to reverse diabetes but your ok your not overweight I am from large famiy and we all have diabetes seems like i may be the worse I hate the painfull nerve damage so see the doctor and maybe a visit to joslin clinic in boston may be good for you check out your pancrease good luck please take my advise

Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Hi Elkoscare,

You are, indeed, quite young for Type 2, unless you were overweight? You did mention losing 10 pounds, but don't know if you were overweight with that extra 10?

If not, then you may want to make sure two tests were done and that they are repeated in a few months. Those are GAD antibody tests and a C-peptide test. Those can tell conclusively if it's T1 or T2, but with T1, those tests may be inconclusive in the first couple of months.

If you are in fact T2, you may well be able to manage it without insulin. If you're actually a T1, then you will need insulin in the near future.

Either way, please try not to be afraid of insulin. Yes, it does pose some difficulties, but none of those are overwhelming or unmanageable. The single most important thing for ANY diabetic, whether T1 or T2, is to keep blood glucose levels under fairly tight control. Doing so not only avoids complications, but it makes daily life much better, as out of control bg's can make you feel like crap.

Ruth

Old 08-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
(female)

Traci99 HB User

I was recently diagnosed with PRE diabetes - type 2. I quit smoking and also had a neurological disorder that caused me to be bed-ridden for a year. Anyway after I quit smoking - I gained 70 pounds over 15 months. So I understand why I got it, because I went from 120 to 190. But when diagnosed with pre-diabetes 4 months ago I went to work on losing weight RIGHT AWAY. I cut out as many carbs as I could, I even stopped eating fruits, even the "safe" kind. I was very scared because I DON'T want to be on meds so I maybe went overboard. I lost 20 pounds over 4 months but I didnt start working out. It was all diet. I recently started checking my blood sugar again and to my surprise it was EVEN higher then it was 4 months ago. I had my first true diabetic reading this morning (230) after eating toasted oats cereal which has 23 carbs per cup and no sugar added. My mom said oats make her sugar go way up so not to be too alarmed. How can oats make your sugar go up? I thought they were good for diabetics.
I am upset. I now weigh 166 pounds which is 20 pounds lighter, though I know I am NOT at all finished with the weight loss, I really thought that 20 pounds would make a dent in my blood sugar levels. Is more weight loss needed? I am confused because my doc said if I even lost ten pounds it would make a big difference.
I am 35, female and 5'7.
I would appreciate any advice..it takes forever to get in to see my doc.
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Traci99; 08-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Traci,
You should make your own post so you will get replies. This was Someones elses post.

Closed Thread