It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

davedd HB User
Insulin injection

Just wondering if anybody see's a difference in which area you inject insulin.All my dr's say it does not matter but a week ago i tried a little higher in my stomach & i now use 1/3 less insulin & my numbers are almost normal - low.Before i was always higher never low.
Have had high sugar for 20 years.Only diagnosed 4 years ago.No pills worked & nothing but side affects every day for years.Had special 1 on 1 counselling with people that actually know what they are doing & put me on insulin right away & that day things got way better.First test dr's need to do is measure if your pancrea's works little or not at all.Pills do nothing if it does not work.Lot of bad dr's out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to davedd For This Useful Post:
bobsgram (08-13-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Insulin injection

You can get different absorption in different areas, especially if there is any scar tissue. Hope this helps. Just make sure you rotate sites or you may develop some scarring from the injections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

My GP thought I had Type I at first. I went on Adkins diet and was eating carbs like you were too. I also went on two pills, Glucophage and something else. I only weighed about 135 pounds. In about one month, I saw no difference. My blood sugar was still over 300. She referred me to an endocrinologist and I was diagnosed as Type I. You might check it out. What's your A1C and what is a normal blood sugar reading for you?

I have friends who only give themself injections in their arms. I have tried arms, legs, tummy, and see no difference in the BS readings.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Back when I was on shots, I used my thighs, abdomen, arms, and butt/hip area. No noticeable difference EXCEPT if injecting in the thigh and then doing any exercise...that would definitely cause a low for me.

Now that I'm on the pump, I mostly use my abdomen and the right side of my upper butt area (can't insert with my left hand on the left side).

As Cora pointed out, it is absolutely critical to have good rotation of sites so you don't build up scar tissue, as that will definitely cause problems with absorption.

Ruth

Closed Thread