It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
(male)

elkoscare HB User
In need of serious help. Please advise

I was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am 23 years old, and was very active and lead a healthy lifestyle.

Since the symptoms began, I have lost 20 lbs, and feel underweight. I cannot eat anything, as my BG goes soaring. A salad will shoot me from 120 to 150+. I just started Metformin a week ago, 500mg x 2, and am waiting for it to kick in.

I know my condition was brought on by emotional stress. I'm afraid that I will be on meds for the rest of my life, as exercise and nutrition were already apart of my life.

What can I do to keep the BG down? I'm starving!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

rainpebbles HB User
Re: In need of serious help. Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoscare View Post
I was just recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am 23 years old, and was very active and lead a healthy lifestyle.

Since the symptoms began, I have lost 20 lbs, and feel underweight. I cannot eat anything, as my BG goes soaring. A salad will shoot me from 120 to 150+. I just started Metformin a week ago, 500mg x 2, and am waiting for it to kick in.

I know my condition was brought on by emotional stress. I'm afraid that I will be on meds for the rest of my life, as exercise and nutrition were already apart of my life.

What can I do to keep the BG down? I'm starving!
Dear elkoscare:
Has your doctor referred you to a diabetic educator? This should be your first stop after receiving a diagnosis. Your diabetic educator will help you interpret all the new information you've received, via blood tests, doctor's reports, etc., as well as answer your many questions. He/she should provide you with a nutrition plan, or refer you to a nutritionist. They will teach you how to count calories and carbs and work out a meal plan. Your educator can also be an intermediary between you and your doctor.
Learning to manage diabetes is a long and continuous process. No two patients are alike, and no one can predict the eventual outcome of the disease, however, you will have a lot to do with it.
Don't panic! Begin by getting a notebook and logging your blood sugars and everything you are eating. Note any changes in routine, and any out-of-the-ordinary activity, such as extra stress (good or bad), lack of sleep, or change in physical activity. Make sure you are taking your medication exactly as prescribed. Metformin is a very dependable drug which has been on the market for a long time.
Take your notebook with you each time you see someone on your medical team, including your diabetic educator.
As a side note, diabetic patients are sometimes misdiagnosed. You can ask for a second opinion if there is any question about whether you are a Type 2 or Type 1.
Do not stop eating! Stay on whatever diet you've been prescribed, and report your numbers to the doctor. He/she will make adjustments accordingly. Use the medical resources available to you and insist on getting the information & support you need!
Good luck!
"Rainpebbles"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: In need of serious help. Please advise

There are many places on line to get information about diabetic foods.
Everyone is different, some can eat potatoes and no blood sugar rise, others look at a potatoe and sugar goes up.
You need to start counting carbs, like having a salad is good but if you pour a carby dressing on it you may as well be eating a cheese burger and fries. So use like vinegar and oil.
Have small meals through out the day to keep from starving yourself, snacks that are good for you. Pasta is out pretty much and white breads due to many carbs. Whole wheat is better for you and less carbs.
Are you and one or a two, do you test your blood sugars? You didn't mention this.
Walking is the best source to lower your BS along with improved diet.
Go to the book store and spend a few hours reading about your new buddy cause it will stay with you but you can control it most times.
It is very overwhelming at first but once you spend a few hours reading or and getting some help with foods you can and can't eat and it will start to get easier and then just a way of life.
One thing, sugar free cookies and some food are not always sugar freem they have sugar alcohols in them that add up and losts of fats. You need to start reading labels too till you get to know your foods.
I have half an apple with a little peanut butter for protine for a snack. Keep grapes and have a handful 6-7 grapes. Raw cauliflower is great and filling. I use ham and cheese or turkey and cheese and just roll them up for a sandwich as I don't care for whole wheat breads. Baked skinless chicken with a vegie and small salad or just cut up tomato. These are just a few ideas. Breakfast is usually an egg with one piece of ww toast or cottage cheese with a little fruit.
Hope this helps some but do ask your doc for help or read about it on line.

Closed Thread