It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

Lenie HB User
Talking Just diagnosed have plenty of questions. :)

Hi everyone. I have just been diagnosed with type 2, at first I was petrified because complications of diabetes is what my brother died from. Now I am doing much better with the emotions though. He was type 1, I am 2 and I am going to take care of this.

I have always had very dry skin called Ithyosis, which is a scaling look and action of the skin. I started taking 500 mg of Metformin on Friday and by that evening my skin had cleared up and stayed that way!!

The doc of course wanted me to go to a dietician, but being a self pay I can not afford what they ask so I have just been relying on the internet and friends with the same diagnosis. I seem to be doing well, but the nurse at the dr.s office said to only check my level first thing in the morning. While my friend says that when you first have it that you should check it more often to help make the diagnosis of weather the medicine is working and you are eating the right things.

My ultimate goal is to go back off the meds. My levels are running around 180 in the morning and 230 in afternoon.

Any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lenie:
Wanda Pullen (08-03-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lenie For This Useful Post:
Wanda Pullen (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed have plenty of questions. :)

If you are only going to test once per day, then vary when you do test. The trick is to eat to your meter. Eat a known amount of carbohydrate and then test 2 hours after. You will see if that carb is ok for you, needs to be eaten only in smaller portions, or if you have to eliminate it. Test occasionally after breakfast, sometimes after lunch, and sometimes after dinner. This will help you get a good handle on things.

There are many good sources of carb information, including labels, so get to know what you are eating and how it affects you. You will be able to teach yourself better than any dietitian.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
Lenie (08-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
(female)

Lenie HB User

This meal planning thing is just all so confusing!!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

A good general guideline, at least to start, is to eliminate white foods. Potatoes, pasta, rice, bread. Eat lots of veggies and lean proteins. I know there are others here who follow a low carb program and I"m sure they'll chime in and give you a hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
Lenie (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Cora gave you some very good advice. When I was first diagnosed 2 years ago I tested in the a.m. and then 2 hrs. after starting a meal. As time went on my Dr. said to just test in the a.m. or if I eat something different to test after that meal just to see if it makes me spike or not. Now I'm back to just a.m. testing.

Do a search on low carb and low glycemic foods and it will help you to plan your meals. Even fruits and veggies have different carb loads, so pick out the lowest ones to eat. Many folks can't eat oatmeal and yet both my husband and I have no problems so everyone is different. I did find that eating Pop Weaver Lite popcorn as a snack sometimes at night is quite filling and pretty low in carbs. Hubby and I share a bag a few nights a week watching tv. It will take a little while to get use to your new diet, but after awhile it is almost like second nature.

Introducing some apple cider vinegar helps me as well, as done a little ground cinnamon on my oatmeal in the a.m. Maybe you can put some vinegar type dressing on a salad at dinner time or lunch. It's good for the cholesterol as well.

Best of wishes and good luck...JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 08-03-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Spelling!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Lenie (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
(female)

Lenie HB User

That is one of my biggest things. I normally don't eat a lot of carbs. But everything I have says I need 5-6 servings a day. So it is okay to substitute veggies or fruits that are healthy in place of all the carbs? I must add though that my most favorite food in the world is potatoes!! But I have not had ANY since Friday. I ate a lot of junk food and sweets. So I did this to my self. I just thank God that I had 52 years to eat what I wanted.

Thank you for all of the great advice.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lenie:
JJ (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I hear what your saying as my Dr. was totally shocked to see my A1c as a 6.4 cause I normally had low BS. She actually thought the lab made a mistake so had me go again 3 months later. My other numbers were fine as she considered my diet fine.....

We all need some carbs. as it is energy for the body but picking out the good carbs is the trick. Trust me, I cheat as does my husband but rarely. Afterall we are human. I eat potatoes as well as pasta but my portions are VERY small now. Junk food I was never a fan of or fast food places so I have no problems staying away from that stuff. Fruits and veggies are fine just go for the lowest carb ones and the ones on the low glycemic load index.

Like I said, do some research and find stuff you like that is healthy for you and after awhile eating without the junk food will be second nature to you. Don't blame yourself either as many people eat perfectly and still get Diabetes and others eat TOTAL junk and never get it. Eating small portions several times a day is much better then just eating maybe 3 big meals, just pick your snacks carefully. I was told to eat 3 decent meals a day with at least 3 snacks a day but I'm not a big eater so I eat 3 medium meals a day and 2 snacks as that is all I can handle. We all are different so eat which ever way your comfortable with.

Best of wishes...JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Lenie (08-04-2011)
Closed Thread