It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User
Metformin questions and Metabolic syndrom help.

I am 54, female and i weigh 180 pounds. I am insulin resistant.

My aic is 6.1 and my insulin 16. My cholesterol is high, triglycerides are high, same for hdl and ldl both way off.
I am hypothyroid as well and have been for 10 plus years now. I have a major ANXIETY disorder that I deal with daily and agoraphobia from it. I also have a fatty liver, not fatty liver disease but a fatty liver from all the high cholesterol and high insulin levels. My fastings range from 100 to 117 daily. My two hour fasting are mostly under 145 but when I eat ice cream will soar to 161 or 169, so I don't eat it often. My Dr. convinced me to try Metformin because it has been impossible for me to lose even one pound! I eat pretty good most of the time but i DO need to exercise More consistently!!!! so my question is, I am to take Metformin 500 mgs once a day for now, till I see my Dr. again. This is NOT A TIME RELEASED DOSE. It is regular. So when should I take it? and when will I see results in in lowered blood sugar and lowered fasting?

I'm really hoping that this will help with some weight loss? Does Metformin help lower cholesterol? I am to increase my exercise as well to help lower cholesterol stuff, I take a fish oil to hopefully help with all the other stuff too. I do not want to get diabetes 2, so I am motivated. I am on the cusp of not having it and having it, I could flip either way depending on how diligent I am with diet and exercise...any thoughts would be so much appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Metformin questions and Metabolic syndrom help.

Right now you are just on the brink and I think with some weight loss and proper diet you can avoid becoming Diabetic. Of course noone really knows, but it's a good chance you won't.

As far as the Metformin I take 500 mgs. and was told to take it with my largest meal, which is dinner. I tried taking it in the a.m. but it raised havoc with my stomach. Everyone is different but that worked for me.

I hope you do commit yourself to losing those extra lbs. and get on a good exercise program, as it really does help. I have not noticed any difference in my Cholesterol but I'm sure with losing some weight you will see those numbers come down as well. High Trigs. are usually associated with elevated sugar levels, so that should come down as well.

With you also having a Thyroid problem that contributes to higher sugar and cholesterol. Hopefully with some hard work and proper diet your next set of blood work will be better.

Wishing you the best...JJ...

Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
(female)

JJ Thanks so much for your reply!
I was just wondering if the 500 mgs of Metformin that you take if that is the extended release or regular release? I'm wondering because i thought my Dr. told me to take it twice a day but then the bottle says only once a day, so not sure if she changed her mind or if that was a mistake on her part. Do you know if taking it once a day will be helpful if it is only the regular release? I have not made it up to the 500 mgs a day yet. I started about 1/4 of the pill to avoid side effects. So far I have not had any so will probably work up to the full 500 mgs this week..If I get side effects from meds I tend to jump off of them before allowing them to subside and the med to work. I hope I wont have to take it too long though, maybe 6 months or so depending on how motivated I am to lose the weight. Did you lose any weight on Metformin? Or maybe you didnt need to. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Mine is the regular Metformin. I had problems with it at first so the Dr. had me take 250 mgs. for a week and then I jumped to the 500 mgs. I have a very sensative stomach so I needed to kind of get use to it.

You should call either your Dr. or the pharmacy and ask if it is the extended or if you should be only taking it once a day. I didn't really need to lose any weight but did lose about 9 lbs. within about 4 months. I think I was so afraid to eat anything I was overly cautious with my food. My A1c was 6.4 and it dropped to 6.2. At first the Dr. wanted me to take 1,000 mgs. but I told her NO as to me that wasn't a bad A1c, plus Drs. were sent an article that said trying to get ones A1c below 6 could be dangerous, so we stayed at 500 mgs. I just keep ranging between 6.2-6.4 and she said if it stays that way just leave well enough alone.

As far as the side effects, with me after I made sure I took it like 5 minutes before eating they went away. Hubby takes his an hr. before eating or if he forgets an hr. after. He is on a couple of different meds. and so far so good. They lowered his doseage of meds. as well due to the article. It was his VA Dr. who told us she recieved it and then when I had my appt. I asked my Dr. and she said yes, they had just gotten the notice a week before.

Just work your way up to where you feel comfortable and do expect a bit of a GAS problem for awhile, but nothing you won't beable to handle. Hang in there, it does get better.

Wishing you all the best...JJ... Keep us posted.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Mine is the regular Metformin. I had problems with it at first so the Dr. had me take 250 mgs. for a week and then I jumped to the 500 mgs. I have a very sensative stomach so I needed to kind of get use to it.

You should call either your Dr. or the pharmacy and ask if it is the extended or if you should be only taking it once a day. I didn't really need to lose any weight but did lose about 9 lbs. within about 4 months. I think I was so afraid to eat anything I was overly cautious with my food. My A1c was 6.4 and it dropped to 6.2. At first the Dr. wanted me to take 1,000 mgs. but I told her NO as to me that wasn't a bad A1c, plus Drs. were sent an article that said trying to get ones A1c below 6 could be dangerous, so we stayed at 500 mgs. I just keep ranging between 6.2-6.4 and she said if it stays that way just leave well enough alone.

As far as the side effects, with me after I made sure I took it like 5 minutes before eating they went away. Hubby takes his an hr. before eating or if he forgets an hr. after. He is on a couple of different meds. and so far so good. They lowered his doseage of meds. as well due to the article. It was his VA Dr. who told us she recieved it and then when I had my appt. I asked my Dr. and she said yes, they had just gotten the notice a week before.

Just work your way up to where you feel comfortable and do expect a bit of a GAS problem for awhile, but nothing you won't beable to handle. Hang in there, it does get better.

Wishing you all the best...JJ... Keep us posted.
JJ Thanks so much for your reply. I just wanted to reiterate that you said you take 500 mgs of metformin a day and it is the regular one NOT the extended release? I think that that is what you are saying.

I dont quite understand how once a day helps but you are proof that it does, lol. Do you know how long it took to lower your A1c and bring some weight down even though you didnt need to lose it.? I'm really excited hearing first hand that someone taking it once a day has been helped!

Obviously i'm not taking enough yet to help lower my blood sugar as proof a few days ago I had a mini blizzard and it soared to 161 in on hour and two hours later it was still 142 and by 3 hours finally dropped to 127. I dont test like that usually but i'm still in kind of a testing stage as to what makes it high and not high.

So far Iknow ice cream and frosting does and pizza if I eat the crust but if i just eat down to the crust it is still under 145 but pushing it, lol. I eat alot of Dream Fields for carbs, they dont raise my BS at all, so I can get my carb fix from them....but cannot eat tomato sauce with it so I use light alfredo sauce insead...so yep still working on finding out what triggers it. Hope one day Metformin will help enough that I can have my mini blizzard once a week on Sunday...wont have any today thats for sure, not after several high readings through the week, eeek!

Well thanks so much for your time and patience...i'm sure I may be back with another question, hope you wont mind...and oh as for the gas! Welp need I say more!? Lots of tooting going on here, lol.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes mine is the regular Metformin and not the ER. My Dr. doesn't like to over prescribe so started me off with as low a dose as possible. Like I said, my A1c still fluctuates but I am not going to kill myself with meds. trying to get it down below 6. My A1c went down to 6.1 at the next 3 month lab work and as I said for over a year it goes between 6.2 and 6.4.

My oldest son use to take 2 different meds. for a couple of years and he also is now down to 500 mgs. a day. Like he told me, he feels better on the one doseage and although his numbers may not be below 6 all the time he is happy. He is a nurse so I guess whatever works he is happy with. He lost weight as well, maybe about 10 lbs. in 6 months so he tries to maintain that level.

Yes testing different times is good cause this way you do find out what may spike you and what doesn't. Like anything it is a hit and miss thing. Some days certain foods may bother you and other days it may not. Like my Dr. and our Cardio Dr. has always told us, don't deny yourself a treat just do everything in moderation. I know I am going to dread going for blood work this month as I have to admit I have been soooo off my diet type thing it is pathedic, so I am NOT expecting a good report this time.

Oh yes, my son already had warned me about the "gas" thing but it's not half as bad as I know some folks go through, so I won't complain. Hopefully your lucky with the doseage and get good results, just remember this is basically a lifetime commitment. As I said before, we cheat every so often but don't make it a habit as I don't wish to be put on anymore meds.

Wishing you the best...JJ...

Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
(female)

JJ I really blew it this evening! I know tomorrow I am going to start hitting it hard with Metformin and exercise. I decided to have my ice cream one last time for a while. I didnt seem to enjoy it though because I didnt have my marshmellow in it. So i didnt eat much of it and my BS was at 125. I decided to also have one last icky meal at McDonalds, my fave, and I had had a double burger with onion only, a few fries and a few gulps of a regular coke!

So I started out at BS of 125 and 2 hours later here it is at 174! I think that that is thee highest reading i'ver EVER EVER had! Its sort of creeping me out! is there a way to lower it right away when and if that ever happens again? Woudl eating some protein lower it quick or do i just have to suffer through it? Dang I just dont learn, grrrrr. I so love pop though. I've been drinking caffeine diet coke and I know that is not good either with all that aspartame but the pop is probably my biggest down fall. This makes me want to run and take 1000 mgs of metformin to bring it down but I wont and I dont think it works that way anyways, does it. A counselor i see says he takes some pill called pradin or something like that name and it lowers Bs within 30 mns. I may have to ask my Dr. about that for emergencies! So any advice on lowering this immediately? I'm actually hungry because that burger didnt hold me over but i'm NOT going to eat till it goes down under 130 at least...

Old 08-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well all I can say is I think you had best not do that anymore. As far as a quick fix no I have no info. about that at all. When facing Diabetes you have to make up your mind to stick to a good diet and exercise and make it a life long change. It will take some time but that is the only way your going to keep your numbers down and lose the weight. Yes most everyone cheats every so often but it has to be ONLY every so often.

Your numbers are going to fluctuate with eating or even a lousy nights sleep or any illness or stress, but eating off limit foods..especially fast food is definately NOT going to help. As far as diet soda, I don't think that is all that bad but keep it at a minimum. Also not eating till your numbers come down is not the way to go. You need to eat at a certain time each day and stick to it, and taking an extra doseage of Metformin isn't the way to go either. You want to stay with the doseage your Dr. said so you will have to eat accordingly or you will be on a higher doseage and I doubt you want more meds. Many folks if they eat properly and exercise stay on a low doseage or sometimes even get off oral meds. but it requires work on your part.

Best of luck...JJ....

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Well all I can say is I think you had best not do that anymore. As far as a quick fix no I have no info. about that at all. When facing Diabetes you have to make up your mind to stick to a good diet and exercise and make it a life long change. It will take some time but that is the only way your going to keep your numbers down and lose the weight. Yes most everyone cheats every so often but it has to be ONLY every so often.

Your numbers are going to fluctuate with eating or even a lousy nights sleep or any illness or stress, but eating off limit foods..especially fast food is definately NOT going to help. As far as diet soda, I don't think that is all that bad but keep it at a minimum. Also not eating till your numbers come down is not the way to go. You need to eat at a certain time each day and stick to it, and taking an extra doseage of Metformin isn't the way to go either. You want to stay with the doseage your Dr. said so you will have to eat accordingly or you will be on a higher doseage and I doubt you want more meds. Many folks if they eat properly and exercise stay on a low doseage or sometimes even get off oral meds. but it requires work on your part.

Best of luck...JJ....
JJ, I sooooo know how right you are! I just got back from Cardiology appt. and he said that i'm at a point right now that I CAN go either way and that diet, exercise and Metformin can help turn this around. pretty much what I already know and you reitterated to me as well. He is going to do a stress test, some breathig tests and some blood work. He thinks some of my problems are the beta blockers with shortness of breath and weight gain. He wants to think about trying some called digitalis, I dont know what it was exactly but something like that.

So for now going to cut down on calories and start the exercise program...doesnt look like much exercise for today will happen except house cleaning and rearranging and that is alot for me right now, lol.

Wish me luck on my journey and I am taking 1/4 Metformin for a few more days then going to half for a few days then to 3/4 for a few days then finally taking the full dose plunge! What a long ole process but I will get there on the meds, lol.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Digitalis is used to treat congestive heart failure (CHF) and heart rhythm problems (atrial arrhythmias). Digitalis can increase blood flow throughout your body and reduce swelling in your hands and ankles.

Some people do get shortness of breath and weight gain on a Beta Blocker so maybe the new meds. will help. My husband had trouble swallowing when he was on 100 mgs. of Atenolol. It's rare but our Cardio Dr. said his dad had the same problem. We all react to meds. differently. As far as the Metformin, you can really do a half pill for a week and then the full 500. That is the way I did it and it worked fine as I am extremely sensative to meds.

Yup, definately time to say hey..I am going to do this new lifestyle change so I will get better. I hear ya about the good old housework. Yesterday was vacuum and dust and today is wash the floors. With the AC on they will dry quickly as it is like an oven outside.

Keep us posted on your tests and good luck..JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
jamie007 (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
(female)

hmmm, that is interesting that your hubby had trouble swallowing as I do too but not on same drug. Someone on yahoo answers told me that 500 mgs once a day is too small of a dose to do anything...I hope they are NOT right.

Well I took an at home hba1c test. I did one in March and I was at 5.9, today sadly at 6.3! that really is not good...and i'm so disappointed in myself but am being diligent today just the same...ordinarily that would make me want to go have a nice cold pepsi.sigh woe is me.

Soooo this new me though while at the store was actually looking for low carb candy/chocolate....I have a bad sweet tooth and need something for that fix so I wont fall off the wagon. I was going to buy this chocolate i've been buying for months till I seen the 14 carbs and 7 sugars, so didnt buy it.

I did end up buying something called Extend Bar. Had I really looked at the ingredients before buying it i would not of bought it.

first ingredient is SOY, bleh, not suppose to have soy with thyroid or so i was told by several people on a thyroid board. So too it has 20 carbs and only 4 sugar alcohol. They are suppose to control hunger by controling blood sugar levels for up to 9 hours.! I thought this would be a good in between meal snack but so far it did not fill me up and I am still hungry and have not consumed 20 worthless carbs.

I eat dreamfields, cooked el dente, and do not raise blood sugar. I ate some with some sausage and peas about 3 and by 5 was feeling hungry again. I took my Bs and I was at 94!!! No wonder I felt so hungry. I didnt want to eat only two hours after that meal so I've forced myself to wait another hour to eat. I figure I have to get use to feeling low blood sugar levels as normal instead of freaking out when i feel them and feel hypoglycemic and run for food...

So now that I at that bar, I feel i've wasted some carbs. Do you know a good carb number per meal to shoot for.?

I' know i'm overloading on all these questions and maybe smeone else will jump in (doubtfull) and help so i'm not dumping all this stuff on you.

Maybe i should go back to the dietician. She told me that I could have 40 carbs per meal and 15 per snack...seems high to me and she said I can have 4 glasses of milk a day, I love milk!

ok...I think i've picked your brain enough for the year, lol. maybe i will ask Dr. for dietician help again and see what goes on from there. I'm really hoping when I do stress test, breathing tests and they are all good that Dr. will take me off beta blockers and start me on digitalis. if it helps with swelling fingers i am all for it!

I do eat a lot of veggies, like green beans, peas, mixed veggies with corn, peas and green beans, i eat them as a main meal with meat as a side dish...I hope its not too much carbs cause I love them and they are filling and the meat I hope is not too much protein..I need to find balance sme where and today i started and tomorrow I will take half the Metformin instead of the 1/4 to get going on this! thanks so much! you are awesome!

Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maybe some folks just can't take a beta blocker? Don't believe everything you read on the web as everyone is different. I know may folks who do well on 500 mgs. of Metformin and others need more.

Yes a friend of mine has Thyroid problems and was told soy isn't good by her Dr. I'm not familiar with it so not sure. As far as your A1c going to 6.3 I would wait till you have a lab do it as I'm not too sure how accurate those home things are. If it is going up, all the more reason to get going on a new diet and exercise.

Your going to have to experiment with foods as to be totally honest I am not all that familiar with certain snack things etc. Have heard the Dreamfield stuff being whole wheat is suppose to be better then regular pasta and the less cooked the better.

I was also told about 35-40 carbs per meal and 15 for a snack. Of course it also depends on the person as some are more sensative to carbs then others. Like I said, hit and miss till you get use to knowing what does or doesn't raise your BS. Maybe a dietician is a good idea it sure can't hurt.

No problem picking my brain. I do try to help but I'm also no Dr. so my words or advice is what was either told to me or what I have read. I really hope I have been of some help anyway. As far as how much protein or carbs is the best, someone with more knowledge then myself might beable to help as I just eat everything in moderation. I'll admit I am not a big fan of counting things so I just eat small portions of everything and hope I'm balancing things out.

I may not be around the next 2 days as we lost a VERY dear friend today and I know we will be busy helping the family as best we can. He had a long battle with cancer but lost the battle today.

Take care and all my best of wishes...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
annie42 (08-08-2011)
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
(female)

JJ, I am so so very sorry to hear about your friend. Had I known I would not of been buggin you today.

My sincerest sympathy and prayers are with you and your husband and friends and family. I'm deeply sorry for your loss.. ***HUGS*** TAKE CARE!

Old 08-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Jamie...Don't worry you didn't bug me last night. I just wanted to let you know I will be busy as I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Hopefully today you were able to go up to the higher doseage of the Metformin and if so hopefully it didn't bother you. I'll log in when I can to see how your doing.

Good luck...JJ.....

Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
(female)

JJ, I hope all is well for you. I'm sorry for your loss.

today was a kind of lousy day.
I decided to do an experiment with some low carb yogurt and kashi crunch cereal.
My fasting BS this a.m. was 98! shocked me!
So I started from there at 97 and ate the yogurt and kashi and in one hour my Bs shot up
to 178! Eeek! an hour later it was down to 105. I ate again 1 1/2 hours later a low carb turkey wrap and never felt really good from then on today. My BS the rest of the day has been only up to 110 as the highest...and that was AFTER a McDonalds hamburger and a few fries. It seems everything I ate today was low and I was constantly hungry and feeling hypoglycemic. I finally had some good chicken, peas and cottage cheese for dinner and felt full for about 2 hours only. So I dont know what happened today. that was before taking the Metformin which I only took 1/4 again today but will take 1/2 tomorrow for sure! any thoughts on this crazy thing today? I'm so thankful that my BS came down so quickly from that 178, that really scared me! I wont be eating THAT again...Well I hope you get some rest and dont worry about answering me till you are ready and feeling better. I feel so bad about your loss. I said a prayer for you today and your family (ihope you dont mind) and I hope healing comes quick as I know how hard it is to lose someone you love take care of yourself Jamie

Closed Thread