It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User
metformin side effects, anxiety, surreal?

I've only been taking 1/4 of a Metformin for a few days. I am working up to the 500 mgs, the dose is 500 mgs. so yesterday about 4 to 5 hours after I took the dose, I started feeling kind of funny. I started feeling kind detached from my environment. it was really weird and creepy. I didnt sleep a wink all night from the anxiety this was involking and i'm so tired today that I cannot see straight so I hope i am typing straight at least. Is this a normal reaction or just me? I dont know what happened to me. I was just doing some things around the house when I started feeling surreal feeling, sorta like I was doing these things but not really doing them, watching me doing them, I dont know I cant quite explain it but it triggered round after round after round of anxiety bursting through my body....i'm so so so tired....can it cause this and can it cause insomnia? I dontknow what to do, i'm afraid to touch it again now...I cant go around feeling that way, i'ts not normal and it scares the crap out of me!

The following user gives a hug of support to jamie007:
PatriciaSc (08-23-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mchavers1 HB Usermchavers1 HB User
Re: metformin side effects, anxiety, surreal?

I feel you, I've been on metformin, but it is so important that we dehipnotize ourselves, and no longer allow all the decisions to be made by the doctors. I am doing some serious research on alternatives, and will be gratefull to share whatever I have.

Stay tunned will get back to you on this. God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: metformin side effects, anxiety, surreal?

Jaime,

Are you testing your blood sugar levels? And if so...how often? It's possible that your blood sugar actually went too low, which could have caused the odd, detached sensation and the surreal feeling. Also, when the blood sugar goes too low, the body produces more epinephrine, which makes you feel very anxious. At the same time, if the sugar goes way too low, the liver will release stored glucose, causing you to rebound and become way too high, which could explain why you felt so exhausted the next day.

Without proper monitoring of blood sugar when one is on medications, whether oral or insulin, one is basically groping around in the dark. If you're not already testing your blood sugar at least 2-3 times a day, I would suggest you do so, especially while working up to a therapeutic dose of the metformin. If you find you go low at a certain time of the day, you can eat a little bit of food to prevent that from happening.

Ruth

Closed Thread