It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User
Insulin resistance

My doctor said my blood sugar was only a little high after fasting which means I have insulin resistance. He wants me in for another fasting blood test on monday and then 2 weeks later I have to go in and drink sugar water.

He claims this is what has been making me gain weight for the past 3 years. I did some research and really do not see much of a difference between insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.

He said diet was my medicene, yet a friend of mine has pre diabetes and takes injections.

Should I be on meds too?

Last edited by Flutterbye77; 08-13-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
(female)

cdgbdr HB User
Re: Insulin resistance

Hello, I'm surprised to hear of someone with pre-diabetes taking injections, but, some with pre-diabetes/insulin resistance do take medication. My family doc was not impressed but th endocrinologist started me on metformin. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
(female)

BooksRule HB User

A few months ago, my doctor said that since my fasting blood sugar was a little higher than it should be, he would have me take a 'glucose tolerance test' (the four-hour one where you drink the sweet orangey stuff and have your blood taken a few times). The results were that my levels were okay at the end of the four hours, but at the mid-point they were still higher then they should have been. This told him that I was insulin-resistant. He only told me that this was my 'warning sign' to try to watch what I eat, lose weight and exercise. After four months of basically not doing any of that on a regular basis, I went back for my regular checkup. My levels were still in the 'gray area' (my BS level had gone up one point). He is still going to allow me to try to get the levels down without any meds at this point. I go back in 3 months. I'm doing fine so far (only one week of healthy eating and exercise so far, but that's good for me) and keep telling myself that this is my last chance to do it without getting on any more meds.

So, I think every doctor is different. Mine is okay with trying the diet/exercise for a little longer, but others might want to go ahead and use medication. The good news is, that even when one is put on medicine, changing diet and exercising more can many times make a difference and enable a person to go off of the medicine. I'm hoping to do that with BP meds at some point in the future.

Last edited by BooksRule; 08-21-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

The best medicine for insulin resistance is diet, not pills. Medicine can complement diet but it will not fix it and only helps about 50% of the time

If your friend is on insulin injections they are diabetic (pre-diabetic is like sorta pregnant in that case)

Taking a pill for everything does not work, sometimes you have to work the fix yourself.

Go Ask Alice

Pup

Old 08-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
(female)

avvocatessa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterbye77 View Post
My doctor said my blood sugar was only a little high after fasting which means I have insulin resistance. . . . .
He claims this is what has been making me gain weight for the past 3 years. I did some research and really do not see much of a difference between insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
The differece between being insulin resistant and diabetic is basically your fasting blood glucose number -- over 125, and you are diabetic. If 100 or lower, you are normal. In between 100 and 125, you are insulin resistant. You don't have diabetes (yet) but you will if you don't get your numbers under control.

I have Type 2, well controlled with medication, diet and exercise. I have a genetic predisposition for diabetes, but with diet and exercise, I am able to usually keep my fasting blood glucose level below 100 -- so in the normal range, but it wouldn't be that way if I didn't exercise, eat properly, and take meds.

The reason you gain weight with insulin resistance is that there is more glucose in your blood than your body can use (because you are still making insulin, but your body isn't using it properly). If your body can't use glucose, it will store it as fat. This is what happened to me. When I got on medication, plus lost weight from diet and exercise, my glucose numbers became closer to normal too.

In many ways, being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes was a good thing for me. I am healthier now than I have been for many years. The things I have to do to keep my diabetes under control and stay off insulin as long as possible have the added side effect of making me healthier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avvocatessa For This Useful Post:
Flutterbye77 (08-23-2011), pupcake (08-21-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

My doctors office called today and said my new blood test said I was i nsulin resistant, I asked what the number was and the girl said 88. Sound slike I am fine from what I read here, but now I am told I need to go in for the 2 hour sugar test.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Flutterbye!

In my case, my health was severely effected by my Insulin Resistance, probably because I suffered Insulin Resistance along with soaring blood pressure, permanent Atrial Fibrillation, heart valve disease and Heart Failure.

I never went on medication for either Insulin Resistance or Diabetes. However..... recovery took years of eating a difficult, unexciting, strict UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center diet targeting insulin resistance. I also did, and still do demanding daily physical exercise.

My health has improved greatly and I have been able to increase the carbs in my diet without suffering like I used to, and without my blood pressure going up. I know to cut back a little on extra snacks and other goodies when my fasting blood sugar creeps up towards the 100 mark. Buts..... I continue to cheat on my diet as long as my FBS stays under 100 and my two hour PostPrandial stays under 120 and my one hour PostPrandial stays under 140.

I've posted a lot more in the Heart Disorders Topic under the title: 25 years fighting CHF, High Blood Pressure, Permanent AFib, Insulin Resistance. at the following link:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=4792195&highlight=insul in#post4792195

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 08-28-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Closed Thread