It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
(male)

bigmuny HB User
Insurance rate increased b/c of A1C

I am a 61 yr. old male with no health problems and recently applied for Life insurance. The rate for my category was Best with no health problems and never having smoked. I found a 20 yr. Term Life policy for $160 a month and took their required medical test. They did the A1C and now it came back with a blood sugar reading of 137 and a A1C of 6.6...Now they say I am a substandard table 2 and this has shot my monthly rate up to $461 per month now. No one in my family is or has been a diabetic and that goes for Grandparents. Would I be considered a diabetic with these readings and if not should I request another lab test. What is the best time of the day to take a lab reading?? My wife is Type II and I often check my blood sugar levels and they are always low..somewhere around the 80 on up to 120 level depending on the time of day. This was a fasting blood work that I did in the late afternoon and I had coffee with creamer and sugar substitute that morning. Anyone have comments I would appreciate it...thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Insurance rate increased b/c of A1C

Usually a fasting reading of 127 twice or an A1c of 6.5 is considered Diabetic. If you have never had any sugar problems in the past I would ask for another test as it could have been an error. Best time to do a fasting is in the a.m. after an 8-10 hr. fasting overnight.

An A1c usually tells what your sugar levels have been running over the last 3-4 months. If this was done by the insurance company and not your own Dr. I would call your Dr. and ask what he/she thinks you should do.

Best of luck...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread