It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User
Huge discrepancy between meters, which to go by now???

I totally understand that meters varies by about 10 % or so.
but I bought strips for an old meter because I found them really cheap.
I decided to test it against my current meter.

My old meter is a walgreens true track and my current one is a walgreens truetest.

So old meter said 151 current meter said 92.
I retested with same same blood and without same blood and different fingers, and still wide differences!

old meter 150 current meter 93

I had not eaten in 4 hours and I was feeling hypoglycemic and hungry.
I am inclined to lean towards current meter reading at the 92.

Now I am out of strips for current meter and have only this old meter with high readings...

I dont believe I could of been 150 after 4 hours but I did have a bite of a cinnamon roll, a small bite but an hour or more before that..

the current meter is what i've been using for a long time but what if i've been misled all this time with current meter and my numbers have all the time been this high??? that will really suck cause then it means that i've been way too high for so much stuff that I could be diabetic now instead of prediabetic..

uggggh, now i'm worried...what should I do?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Huge descrepence between meters, which to go by now???

The only way to know for sure which is accurate is to take the machine to the lab the next time you go and test when you get your labs drawn. You will then see how close your meter is to the lab value. Btw, the industry standard for meters is plus/minus 20%, not 10.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

Re: Huge descrepence between meters, which to go by now???

Well I have 4 meters! Dont ask! LOL.
one is 112, 115, 131 and 137, lol, take my pick huh?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Huge discrepancy between meters, which to go by now???

Pretty much. If your actual blood sugar is 110, then the meter can read anywhere from 132 to 88. Quite the range.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

You might want to get some test solution to test the strips and see if they're falling within the posted range on the bottle.

Ruth

Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
You might want to get some test solution to test the strips and see if they're falling within the posted range on the bottle.

Ruth
There are 2 of the 4 meters that are only 1 number apart so not too bad.
This a.m. fastings I got 100, 104, 105 and 133..
the difference between 100 and 133 is a diagnoses of diabetes and that is why
it is important to know which one is correct. I've been going by the 100 meter so that is a normal reading for me, the other ones arent too bad but if the 133 is correct then i'm in biiiiiiig trouble cause then i'm sure I have diabetes already which I didnt even know! i'm going to a take care clinic today at a walgreens to see if they will compare for me...just not sure if I am to use the same blood same from same finger or what?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Well, here's the thing, Jamie...if your fasting blood sugars are running over 100, then you at the least have insulin resistance/pre-diabetes. That said, you need to work on good meal plans and getting more exercise into your daily routine. You don't need to, and probably shouldn't, wait until you get a diagnosis of diabetes! Losing weight if you need to and managing your carbohydrate intake would probably be all you need to do at first anyway...and doing it sooner, rather than later, could prevent you from ever having to go on oral medication or insulin.

So my advice at this point would be to stop obsessing about the number and start treating yourself as a potential diabetic who wants to stave off the onset as long as possible.

Ruth

Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
Well, here's the thing, Jamie...if your fasting blood sugars are running over 100, then you at the least have insulin resistance/pre-diabetes. That said, you need to work on good meal plans and getting more exercise into your daily routine. You don't need to, and probably shouldn't, wait until you get a diagnosis of diabetes! Losing weight if you need to and managing your carbohydrate intake would probably be all you need to do at first anyway...and doing it sooner, rather than later, could prevent you from ever having to go on oral medication or insulin.

So my advice at this point would be to stop obsessing about the number and start treating yourself as a potential diabetic who wants to stave off the onset as long as possible.

Ruth
samQkitty, I totally and whole heartedly agree with you! Actually i'm at a point where I am going to throw them ALL in the trash! so fed up with numbers and sticks/strips and pokes! what upset me so much about this is that the meter i got the strips for said my numbers were like 50 points more then my regular meter and that meter PUT me in the diiabetic range!!!! thats what freaked me out! I have four meters, dont ask how, and 3 of them were in fairly close range of each other and this am. for fasting the same 3 were all witihin range and the odd one was 133, the rest were 100, 104 and 105 i think...those are my pretty normal ranges but last couple weeks with my good eating my fastings have been 94 to 96 and a couple 100..so I know I am doing so much better!

Today I had a echocardiogram for my heart and when I find out the results then I can hopefully resume some exercise, but right now I am pretty exercise intolerant, out of breath easy...trying to find out if beta blocker related (betaxolol), out of shape, or something wrong..should find out Monday the results, hopefully, am hoping Dr. will call yet this evening with results for me! otherwise yeah, I am tired of the meters, I am going back to old faithful for now and forgetting the other 3...anyone want a free meter???> LOL

Closed Thread