It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
(male)

Alex000 HB User
Feel miserable looking for some kind help - question re: blood sugar levels

Hello
I am posting here because someone can help me in a big way just by answering one question. I appear to be suffering from a very powerful and seemingly rare condition. I honestly believe I am a victim of medical negligence in a major way. The anger I have towards doctors in beyond words.
Anyway to try and be as vague about this complicated matter, my problem is that as bizarre as it sounds most food does not fuel my body. I think I have hypoglycemia but its so much more than that. What happens is that most food when i consume it, i slowly begin to become extrememly tired almost as if i'm being sedated..my concentration slowly becomes just awful, i experience a ravenous hunger and overall just feel like going to bed and resting. I have strange reactions to sugar that leaves my body tremblign with heavy heart beats. I do not work because I feel lethargic and am in a horrendous physical and mental state. There are few starchy food that fuel my body but the list is microscopic.
I try to explain to doctors this but they are smug and very condescending. Despite some very concerning test results, they are ignored. IF i don't bribe them they will not help me. I try to ask them if i can prove that this happens to my body in any way but its like talking to a hamster.
I had an idea the other day that I realized could help me in a big way. My idea is that I can monitor my blood glucose level using a monitor. When i consume my pasta which works for me..then a few hours later I eat X food (representing the 99% of food which actually sedates me) and slowly become hungrier and hungrier, I mean surely this means my blood sugar is affected and this would most likely show by my blood sugar levels. SO this is my question, am I correct to assume that this would be the answer I'm looking for to prove that in fact there is definately somethign serious happening in my body when the symptoms I mentions go into action? I will try to be clearer. Lets say I am currently fueled at the moment, later I consume food that doesn't work, something on a cellular level disrupts my state of feeling fueled and I become hungry. Food is supposed to fuel the body but it has the opposite effect on me. So something is terribly wrong. I can measure my blood glucose levels while I feel good, then measure them again after I consume food that makes me feel weaker, and surely the levels would change. From what I understand, after a person eats, levels go up. I'm wondering if with me, after i eat the levels would go down.

Getting a doctor to help me with this is going to be a nightmare because I don't have the $$ to bribe them to help me, but knowing the blood glucose monitor will answer some questions will be a major boost.

Thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: Feel miserable looking for some kind help -question re:blood sugar levels

I would suggest you change Doctors if you feel you have to bribe them. A simple blood test will give your sugar readings and that should be enough to tell everyone what they need to know.
Buying a meter is fine if you want but you need a rx for the strips which are pretty expensieve.
High glycemic carbs will make you tired, like having a bowl of pasta which is very high in carbs and then the sauce and bread. Creamy salad dressings, gravy, most white things such as potatoes, white breads or anything made with white flour, pastry, sweets, ice-cream.
Some things turn to sugar faster then others, Glycemic Index would be good for you to look up to see. Vegetables and salads and small portions of fruit are better for you if your diabetic. Baked chicken without the skin, fish with little or no sauce are low carbs. Use Vinegar and Oil instead of creamy dressings.
It's alot of work at first but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. It would be much easier to just go get a blood test and find out. If you have had a blood test, get the results and see what your glucose levels were. Just ask for a cope of you last blood work! No need to bribe.
There is also people who aren't diabetic that have sugar levels drop and they feel faint when they don't eat for long periods. this is called Hypoglycemia and you can look that up if you like.
Yes, when a diabetic eats to many carbs their sugar rises, so they test before and two hours after a meal to see how they are doing. Too much (big portions) or too many carbs will raise your sugars. Not eating will drop your sugars which is why we need to eat little snacks during the day to try and keep them level and not gorge on a huge meal.

Hope this has helped you some. Let us know what you decide. Good luck to you!

Last edited by sunshine12; 09-07-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
(male)

Alex000 HB User

changing doctors doesn't do anything i've seen a ton of them and they're almost all the same..i'm not paying them $$ if this was usa i'm sure as soon as i whip out my wallet their ears are locked in
i will surely ask my doctor about my glucose levels..i'm wondering now who i should see whther it be an endocrinologist or someone else..i atually read an article about how an endo isn't necessarily the best option for thyroid problems..i need to do this research on my own because the doctors dont say much or help much

regarding the nutritional aspect my diet from that standpoint is fine..its not about whether i'm getting enough nutrition..to put it into perspective: i have a healthy salad with collard greens and protein and what not = i get hungrier,sleepier,lethargic..

then i have a bowl or rice pasta, just pasta which contains little to no nutritional value = i feel it working

i dont know if i have diabetes i feel i'm the only persn in my country with this condition and i mean that literally

Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

I have no idea why you are having these reactions , but I am sorry you are so frustrated and going through this. I really would suggest you see an endocrinologist to do a thorough work up. They will better know what is going on in your body.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

If you are eating regular pasta, like spheggetti, and white rice, you are taking too march starch, especially if you are eating a lot of it in one sitting. Wheat pasta and brown rice is much better. But, as others have told you, you need to go to prime care doctor and have blood work up done to see if you diabetic or othere health issue is at play. Eating junk is not good for everyone, especially for a diabetic. Go get this checked out. Self diangosis and no care is not good for you. Go to the doctor before you end up in the emergency room and facing reality at the end of a needle.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

NY_Ms HB User

Hi,

Sounds like you have had a hard time getting any answers. Sometimes asking the right questions is the key. Have you asked your doctor about the results of your blood tests?

I am diabetic and sometimes I also have that feeling of getting VERY tired, like the only thing that you can do is go to bed. For me that happens when I eat something that I shouldn't and my blood sugar level rises too high.

You said that happens to you when you eat a healthy salad. I know someone else who is diabetic and when she eats a large salad and nothing else for a meal her blood sugar goes far to low. My point is that even among people who are diabetic different foods can effect each person differently. But the advice in the first response about what to eat was exactly how I was told to eat to control diabetes and it's pretty standard advice.

First step: talk to your doctor about test results.

The Following User Says Thank You to NY_Ms For This Useful Post:
sunshine12 (10-14-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
(male)

scottscott HB User
Re: Feel miserable looking for some kind help - question re: blood sugar levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex000 View Post
Hello
I am posting here because someone can help me in a big way just by answering one question. I appear to be suffering from a very powerful and seemingly rare condition. I honestly believe I am a victim of medical negligence in a major way. The anger I have towards doctors in beyond words.
Anyway to try and be as vague about this complicated matter, my problem is that as bizarre as it sounds most food does not fuel my body. I think I have hypoglycemia but its so much more than that. What happens is that most food when i consume it, i slowly begin to become extrememly tired almost as if i'm being sedated..my concentration slowly becomes just awful, i experience a ravenous hunger and overall just feel like going to bed and resting. I have strange reactions to sugar that leaves my body tremblign with heavy heart beats. I do not work because I feel lethargic and am in a horrendous physical and mental state. There are few starchy food that fuel my body but the list is microscopic.
I try to explain to doctors this but they are smug and very condescending. Despite some very concerning test results, they are ignored. IF i don't bribe them they will not help me. I try to ask them if i can prove that this happens to my body in any way but its like talking to a hamster.
I had an idea the other day that I realized could help me in a big way. My idea is that I can monitor my blood glucose level using a monitor. When i consume my pasta which works for me..then a few hours later I eat X food (representing the 99% of food which actually sedates me) and slowly become hungrier and hungrier, I mean surely this means my blood sugar is affected and this would most likely show by my blood sugar levels. SO this is my question, am I correct to assume that this would be the answer I'm looking for to prove that in fact there is definately somethign serious happening in my body when the symptoms I mentions go into action? I will try to be clearer. Lets say I am currently fueled at the moment, later I consume food that doesn't work, something on a cellular level disrupts my state of feeling fueled and I become hungry. Food is supposed to fuel the body but it has the opposite effect on me. So something is terribly wrong. I can measure my blood glucose levels while I feel good, then measure them again after I consume food that makes me feel weaker, and surely the levels would change. From what I understand, after a person eats, levels go up. I'm wondering if with me, after i eat the levels would go down.

Getting a doctor to help me with this is going to be a nightmare because I don't have the $$ to bribe them to help me, but knowing the blood glucose monitor will answer some questions will be a major boost.

Thanks so much
what are your sugar levels ? you do sound like a diabetic with high sugar.. You will be tired and feel like poop . When you feel this way are you having to urinate allot and are you thirsty if so you need to see a internal doctor ASAP

Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
(male)

Alex000 HB User

thanks again

i ask about my test results constantly and they always react the same way whatever the test is referring to "weeell it might be slightly low but its not big deal"..ie they said the exact thinga bout my thyroid results..and my free t4 or t3 was below range...

regarding the blood sugar, wouldn't mine be low if i'm constantly hungry to the point i'm close to fainting?..i literally tip over from disorientation because my brain lacks oxygen and blood circulation..
i actually don't urinate that frequently and i drink plenty of water so i'm never thirsty or dehydrated..but since 2009 my chest has become very tight and it has been harder to breathe when lying down..doctors do nothing to react to this..i did a few cardiograph things but obviously its going to show normal since it could be trapped esophogal gas or heart flutters from food unable to digest properly

the only sugar in my diet is from fruits...but sometimes i still experiment with food..ie: last week i had a small bowl of shreddies and since then my chest has been very tight and my heart beats are deep and shaky..it feels like a rattling in my chest.. i don't know how to describe it , it feels like a partys going on near my hear region and its very disturbing

i might have to move to the us, the gp's in canada are lousy imo

Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

I hope you are not serious to come to USA. It is not always better here. You have to have insurance to get even somewhat good medical treatment. If you get luck a good doctor. Some doctors get tight lipped and you have to use a crowbar to information out of them. I even had a supposed cardio doctor who took my blood pressure and said that it was 500, but not over what. I was asking my brain, shouldn't I be dead or or least out? Crazy things. But there are a lot of good doctors, I am sure there are in Canada. But it is hard, no matter the country, to get good quality health care. Keep us updated and hope you will find out what is going on soon. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #10
(female)

Donna M HB User

Hi Alex. So sorry to hear that you feel so miserable.

You didn't mention whether you eat meat and eggs. If you are not getting enough protein, and have an actual protein deficiency, the symptoms can be exactly as some that you have described. The deficiency can affect the heart muscles, cause extreme lethargy, etc.

Also, have you considered food allergies? Food allergies are not limited to peanuts and shrimp, as some people think! People can be allergic to, or be sensitive to, many, many foods. And the resulting health problems can be quite serious.

As others have suggested, I would definitely consider seeing an endocronolgist. If no luck there, consider seeing an allergist that does food testing. I know it's hard to find competent doctors that you will like and will actually care about you. Ask around or research online. Try to find some that are recommended by other patients.

I hope you find some help soon. Let us know how it goes.

Hang in there,
Donna M.

Last edited by Donna M; 09-20-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
(male)

Alex000 HB User

hi again

it seems my problem is more of a food intolerance issue as opposed to food allergy..i don't think lack of protein is a problem..i used to lift weights before and eat tons of protein with no results which at the time i thought was a little strange..turns out my body just doesnt absorb protein..when i eat meat my body trembles at night..my guess is tremendous trouble digesting it

im going to try and visit the hospital emergency room this week to see if they can help..this might work..it seems my heart is beating harder each day and its getting tougher to sleep at night i dont know what the heck is happening

Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
(female)

Best to go to regular doctor first, emeregency room is for emerencies only. You need to talk to a regular doctor and have tests run first.The emergency room should only be last resort. It costs a fortune to go through the emergency room. Please set an appointment with the regular doctor first. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
(female)

Donna M HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex000 View Post
hi again

it seems my problem is more of a food intolerance issue as opposed to food allergy..i don't think lack of protein is a problem..i used to lift weights before and eat tons of protein with no results which at the time i thought was a little strange..turns out my body just doesnt absorb protein..when i eat meat my body trembles at night..my guess is tremendous trouble digesting it

im going to try and visit the hospital emergency room this week to see if they can help..this might work..it seems my heart is beating harder each day and its getting tougher to sleep at night i dont know what the heck is happening

Alex, food "intolerances" and food "allergies" can produce the same symptoms. The only difference is that with a true allergy, the body produces antibodies and/or histamine. Only blood testing can determine if you have either. Also, I'm surprised that you are not considering the fact that you may have a protein deficiency, even though you stated above that it "turns out my body just doesnt absorb protein". If you have such a deficiency, it's no wonder you're feeling so miserable. This can be life threatening!

I hope I'm not coming off in a negative way. I'm just trying to help. I hate to hear of people feeling so bad, because I know how it is! I don't think the emergency room will be much help. I doubt they're going to run the kind of tests that you need.

Keep us posted and let us know how you're doing. I hope you find some relief soon.

Donna M.

The following user gives a hug of support to Donna M:
rosier (10-01-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
(female)

Miss Milly HB User

I think you have got yourself very worked up and it must be awful for you. Change your diet to the healthiest possible, take moderate exercise like brisk walks. Find ways to relax properly. Then you need a good general checkup and proper tests for diabetes.
I wish you good luck, this can be sorted.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Hi Alex, [I] see you mentioned that you do not eat sugar. All carbs are sugar which is why we have to count carbs. A huge salad can raise your BS also, it depends what you put into it and what dressing you use.
White rice, is usually not acceptable for diabetics because it turns to sugar fast. Look up high and low glycemic foods on line, it will help you. Also being hungry or famished sometimes is part of diabetes. I find that the more carbs I eat..the MORE I want. So it's better to not cheat even with little things.
I agree with the er. They will do your blood, pressure and if your having chest pain..put you on a monitor and watch. Then send you home unless your ekg is really bad. And you will get a bill for 3 grand. Find a good internist-ask at the hospital.
You need to eat small meals through out the dayto level off your BS. I think I mentioned that before. And as you mentioned, if your body doesn't accept protein??? What are you doing about that?
Feel better and good luck to you, hope you find someone who will help you with your medical problems.

Last edited by sunshine12; 10-14-2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Closed Thread