It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 239
Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User
Medicare and test strips

How does this work in a retail pharmacy? I understand that a type 2 can get 100 strips each three months for a 20% copay after the deductible is met, but how does the pharmacy know that the deductible has been met? How much info must be on the prescription--just the number of strips or are there other requirements?

Consulted Medicare and find that the Medicare number is entered and if the deductible has been met, the coverage is authorized.

Last edited by Laura789; 09-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Newbie
(female)
 
NY_Ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Posts: 3
NY_Ms HB User
Re: Medicare and test strips

Last I knew Medicare does not pay anything for test strips. My mother pays full price for hers weather or not the deductible has been met.

Update: Sorry, I was wrong about this. My mom had told me that she pays full price for strips but really she isn't. It costs more for her strips than other prescriptions so she thought they weren't covered.

Sorry for the incorrect info. I tried to delete the post but could not figure out how.

Last edited by NY_Ms; 09-15-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: new information

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 3,555
SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Medicare and test strips

I'm on an insulin pump and I've been told that medicare will pay for as many test strips as I need as long as I provide a 30-day log once every six months proving how often I test. We will see...my doctor just submitted the scrip for me to test 8 times per day, and my pump company will be handling this order through medicare...I'll let you all know what happens.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 09-14-2011 at 10:34 PM.

 
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: California
Posts: 239
Laura789 HB UserLaura789 HB User
Re: Medicare and test strips

I would be interested in how this develops. According to the Medicare website, a type 2 may have 100 strips every three months and anyone on insulin can have 300 every three months if a doctor says how many are needed per day.

 
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
JJ JJ is offline
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
JJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ct.
Posts: 3,704
JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Medicare and test strips

I'm on Medicare and I get a 3 month supply sent to my home. Medicare pays for 80% and my supplimental insurance covers the other 20%. My husband has the same thing. Your Dr. needs to call in a script as to how many times you need to test and then either the supplier or your pharmacy calls it into Medicare and your other supplimental insurance co. if you have one. At first I was testing twice a day and now down to once, so my supplies go according to my Drs. script.

Hope this helps...JJ....
__________________
When you come to the end of your rope..tie a knot and hang on!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
shall i carry on using test strips? dewing Diabetes 7 01-09-2010 04:55 AM
If Your Test Strips Are Too Expensive... beluvdlily Diabetes 0 01-05-2010 08:39 PM
Help! Am i diabetic? dewing Diabetes 53 10-25-2009 12:30 PM
best test for bs, fasting or 2 hr post meal? donna70 Diabetes 4 10-11-2008 10:05 AM
Need suggests on getting Nephew insulin & test strips sandi2932 Diabetes 5 08-07-2008 08:20 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!