It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
(female)

greengirl11 HB User
Exclamation Friend is a diabetic type 2 on med's BUT wants to go on insulin

I have a really good friend who has been a diabetic for atleast 4 years if not longer. She is on blood pressure med's, metformin, and other med's as well. Anyway, she is obese and does not take of herself at all. She does not monitor her glucose levels. She pretty much eats what she wants. It's affecting her so much that she pretty much refuses to take care of herself. Her health is going down hill. She's still very young (late 30's). Because she does not monitor what she eats and doesn't check her glucose, she wants her doctor to put her on insulin. He doesn't want to because he knows she could easily control her glucose levels and watch her diet. Well, she is going to another doctor. I already told her if she goes on insulin, she will HAVE to monitor her glucose sugars even more, count her carbs etc. She will have to do a lot more monitoring of her diabetes more so than she would being on med's and watching her diet. What are the ramifications of going on insulin when you're not even addressing it at all? To me, she is being completely ignorant and I see her dying within a year. It is that bad! I don't know what else to tell her.

Last edited by greengirl11; 09-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Friend is a diabetic type 2 on med's BUT wants to go on insulin

If you are not going to test and count carbs and then inject insulin, it is a recipe for disaster. You can either go too low (not likely if she is eating whatever she wants) or go too high by not taking enough insulin. Either way, it's a good way to lose control of the diabetes and end up with more complications. What does she expect going on insulin? She will definitely need to test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Ditto everything Cora said. Insulin is not a panacea for diabetecs; it is just another tool in the arsenal of weapons against this disease. But insulin only works if one is using the other tools, which include testing, testing, and more testing, counting carbs, and managing one's meal plan.

Ruth

Old 09-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

They will only put her on insulin if her glucose is not managed properly with/without medication. I have a weight problem, but I manage well on not eating tons of fried foods, to keep the chloresteriol down. She sounds like she is in denial all the way. It is her family besides you and her doctor, to show her what she is doing to herself. Please keep standing by her, although you have done everything you can do th scare her. She has to sometime face blindness, loss of limbs and more meds if she keeps this up. Talk to her family and her doctor and try to scare her more, get pictures of amputed limbs, and someone in a wheelchair. Anything to try to scare her, just don't get gruesome. But I know it is hard for someone to admit they have a health issue, I have two, heart from birth and diabetes from issues and genes. Good luck and be tough. Talk to her family. They might be able to get through to her and get her to get help. She has to know.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Although I don't often say this, I do sometimes think scaring someone into compliance can work, but I think it'd have a better chance to work if the person has proof that managing blood sugar definitely can prevent complications. To that end, I would refer the person to the results of the Diabetes Care and Complications trial (DCCT), which gave the actual statistics of complication prevention in tight control versus normal control. If I have time later on, I'll try to find a reference to it and check with the administrator if I can post it here.

Ruth

Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

I hope the proof is someone else you know that is diabetic that can talk to her. that would be possibily better. Someone who has been there and can show her what happens. Or you could talk to a doctor to get advice on what to do. The proof is seeing someone with missing limbs or talking about the other complications that are not easliy seen by the regular eye. She needs to have someone to talk to her, getting proof is showing someone to her. And going to other people for advice is good also, but she might still stay in denial and say that it all won't happen to her. I will pray for your strength through this time and get what you need to help your friend. Denial can resist a lot of proof, but hopefully she will see what you are trying to do for her. You are a good friend. And it will hard as time goes on. It is hard to watch someone we care about on a distructive road. But good luck and hang in there and let us all know what happens, no matter how long it takes.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
(female)

greengirl11 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies and comments. I really appreciate that. One thing I forgot to mention is that she did have problems with both of her feet. She had a sore on one foot and it wouldn't heal properly, so she had it looked at, had it wrapped, and had to wear a boot on it. That took almost a year to heal properly. Then her other foot (same thing). She basically had a hole in her toe. It was horrible. She thinks that having diabetes is normal.She even said at one point that she just wanted her foot amputated. I'm just baffled! I'm still trying. One of the problems is that she is avoiding my phone calls, but she says she's "busy". So, I will still call her and I will write her a letter. It's crazy, I've tried calling her for the past 4 weeks and we only talked once. We used to talk 2-3 times a week. The only other thing I'm going to do is keep trying to get a hold of her and call her mom on Monday. This is just insane.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
(female)

You might be doing a service by getting in touch with her mom and explain what she has been doing and saying lately. Wanting her foot cut of is said out of frustration, I have done that myself with my allergy skin problem years ago as a child. The pain and try to get well from anything is hard to bare at times. Getting her mother involved is the best step you can make, the calls you make are maybe too much for her. Mothers have a special touch sometimes in this kind of situation. Good luck and keep us posted. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Closed Thread