It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
(female)

Miss Milly HB User
Fasting

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and a bit nervous!

Is anybody here interested in fasting as a way to re-balance body and mind? I have begun 'intermittent fasting' recently and am already finding I feel much better. All I do for now is fast for about 5 hours between my 3 normal meals a day, then I fast for about 13-14 hours after dinner until breakfast next day. So far I have lost about 4 pounds in 2 weeks and am feeling mentally more alert than ever before.

I am interested in people who fast for much longer and how they cope with it. Also if people like me, who are pre-diabetes, have managed to reverse the condition by lowering blood sugar permanently without need for medication.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Fasting

Hi and welcome. While fasting can help with some things, you do have to be careful to not over do it. If you do, you body goes into crisis mode and begins conserving energy, so you may regain that weight you lost. If this is working for you right now and your numbers are good, I wouldn't change a thing. You do what works with this disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

Miss Milly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
Hi and welcome. While fasting can help with some things, you do have to be careful to not over do it. If you do, you body goes into crisis mode and begins conserving energy, so you may regain that weight you lost. If this is working for you right now and your numbers are good, I wouldn't change a thing. You do what works with this disease.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

Miss Milly HB User

Hello Cora

Thanks that is useful to know. But I think I am taking it very carefully really, starting only by ensuring I don't eat between meals and keep my carbs controlled. I will do this for a good while before attempting to go further with fasting.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
(female)

NY_Ms HB User

Hi Miss Milly,

I am new here too. But not new to diabetes.

I have fasted in the past and am planning to do one within the next few weeks.

The longest I have fasted was 5 days. A TRUE fast means that nothing goes into your mouth besides water. If you are planning a true fast you will need to be able to stay home and rest as much as your body needs. Fasting can let your body heal from many things but not if you push your body while you are fasting!

In my opinion, juice fasting is not a great idea for diabetics or pre-diabetics. Fruit juice, as I'm sure you know, spikes your blood glucose level.

At one time I read about a mixture that one could drink while fasting instead of fruit juice. I do not remember the exact recipe (maybe you could Google it) but it was mostly water with some freshly squeezed lemon juice (maybe a full lemon?) and a little Cheyenne pepper, to boost metabolism and just a little honey. I don't remember how much of these ingredients but if you are pre-diabetic then a really small amount of honey would be best. Maybe a teaspoon?

When I have done fasts in the past I consume only liquids or soft foods the day before. If you are interested in cleaning out your colon while fasting I recommend taking some Psyllium husk at the end of the day before the fast. FYI - you will get diarrhea while on a fast. Your colon will empty out completely if you fast long enough .

When I fast I feel better than any other time and have much less pain. Of course, I get tired easily. That is why you must rest when you feel tired during a fast.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

If you do want to go further on the fasting, talk to your doctor first. Going to far in hours between meals is a cause for possible diabetic episode, such as too low a glucose level, or possibly diabetic comma. Please check with your doctor even on this fasting. Really, supposed to eat every 4 hours and use fruit and/or veggies between meals. Keep sweets to very low or no levels. You must be carefull on fasting as a diabetic. Let us know.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
(female)

Miss Milly HB User

Thanks Rosier and hi,

That is very sensible advice indeed.

I am not diagnosed as diabetic - yet. I had a 6.6 result on a recent fasting blood sugar test and the doc is sending me an appointment soon for a glucose tolerance test. I am borderline/pre-diabetic at worst.

My thinking is that by immediately controlling my eating habits and reducing calories and carbs, I can prevent diabetes. So I figure that by fasting between meals I keep blood sugar low. I feel more energetic while fasting and have already lost about 4 pounds in two weeks.

I thought only actual diabetics who are using insulin can ever have blood sugar that is dangerously low? Otherwise surely those on the verge of diabetes are people whose blood sugar is simply too high? I figure it is a good thing to stop overeating and begin to take control.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

I can get low when it I have not had a meal for several hours. I almost went into an episode within the first few months after diagnosis and was glad not to have been rushed to the hospital, was at an amusement park and had only a light breakfast and was without for several hours. Finally, lunch and after chasing after my friend's daughter for 30 minutes, got in line for food, and my legs were shaking. My friend had noticed my shaking and mentioned to me when I joined her after I got my lunch. Boy, that was the closest. I fear more for people who skip meals, it is always a bad idea. I tell them to at least eat a piece of bread or fruit.
You take care and hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
(female)

Miss Milly HB User

Hi Rosier

Thanks. Hugs too, we are on a difficult journey but it is oh so worthwhile.

I do eat 3 times a day so I am easing myself in gradually. I don't overexert myself and am very aware of any dangerous symptoms. I am in awe of those who can do the long fasts, they can only succeed when someone is mentally ready. I am positive the body reacts well to being relieved of the burden of continual digestion, deep healing can only happen when you free it from that.

When you say bread or fruit as a snack, I would say surely some protein would be better? It takes longer to digest and does not make blood-sugar peak like carbs do. I think carbs are fine as part of a mixed moderate meal with high fibre items, protein and a little good fat(such as olive oil).

Old 09-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
(female)

When I said bread or fruit., I usually say it to people who skip meals and say that they do not generally eat breakfast. They go for hours before eating anything, which is hard on the body. The bread is a slice of bread or a one fruit, like an apple or orange, something to put in the empty stomache. I am sorry that I was not clear. I do not advocate eating in that way, I eat meals full of protien and come carbs and be very nutritional. Glad you are doing this slowly, too fast would shock your system. Take care and hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
(female)

Miss Milly HB User

Hi Rosier

I understand, sorry. No problem at all. I totally agree that fasting should be done slowly and sensibly.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
(female)

Nothing to be sorry about, it is just people don't get educated on what they should do when they want to fast to cleanse the or just to skip a meal. You just keep being you and do what you must do for you. Keep your head up high. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosier For This Useful Post:
Miss Milly (09-17-2011)
Closed Thread