It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
(male)

darklordd63 HB User
Diabetic foods

I am new to Diabetes control since I had 3 strokes in a month and I'm on prednisone it is raising my blood sugar so I have to keep close eye on what I eat now.

Any suggestions on what to eat that's good for not raising your blood sugar but fills you? The Prednisone makes me hungry 24 hours a day and then of course I have been eating enough salad and chicken to start my own farm. I'm just curious what other diabetics eat.

Thanks in advance.

I also take metformin twice a day; one ER at bedtime. my Blood Glucose was 172 this am. However just 6 hours later it jumped to 350 which bothered me naturally.

John

Last edited by darklordd63; 09-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Re: Diabetic foods

I sm sure that the doctors suggest that you restict your sodium intake, most of all. There are sodium free diets and foods our there, best to get with a dietician for this one. They will modify a diet regiment suited your likes and dislikes these days. Give it a shot, one time visit will let you know if it feels and sounds right. And get with a diabetes educator, it will also help. Lowering sodium will help with the blood pressure and help your heart and body feel good. Let us know what you do and find out on a good diet. hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosier For This Useful Post:
darklordd63 (09-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

darklord..Seeing a dietician will help you make some good choices in the foods you like. Also do a search on low carb and low glycemic foods as even some fruits and some veggies have higher carb loads then others. I hear you about the salads and chicken, it does get old hat as the saying goes.

If this is all new to you the best advice I can give is when you try certain foods, especially something new to you, test after to see how it affects you. Both my husband and I can eat some oatmeal in the a.m. and it doesn't seem to bother us yet there are folks who can't touch it as it raises their sugar too much. Taking Prednisone really does raise havoc with your sugar so try and get into eating foods that are as low as possible in carbs. It truly is a trial and error type thing and you need to figure out what does or doesn't affect you.

Wishing you all the best...JJ.....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
darklordd63 (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
(male)

darklordd63 HB User

Thanks to the both of you..... I have a dietician coming this week and my ever gorgeous and great wife has volunteered to be there so she can learn as well for herself and to help. She's so awesome because she is eating sugar free food now too just so it doesn't tempt me and she says she doesn't want to make me suffer by having to watch. No wonder I married her. She also bought me a carvin book that I had wanted for quite a while and put it in my art room. I was lookin at the book I was like oh wow, did I buy that and now I don't remember?! I was so tickled then so I asked and so I asked her and she told me she bought it when I was in the hospital to cheer me up. WHen I had the stroke my right side and I can't really draw or carve so I was depressed. She found out some physical therapy (encouraged me, kept on top of the dr's and medicines and kept in touch with my parents and hers. In short without her I would have been in big tr ouble. I love her more every year. She's the best. So there was some good that came out of this I guess. Realizing that it could have been much worse stroke too.

The following user gives a hug of support to darklordd63:
rosier (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Sounds like your wife is one very helpful and thoughtful lady. I'm sure with her help and the help of your Drs. etc. should get you through this on a positive note. Your eating habits will be a new lifesylte change and it is great she is willing to eat the same way to give you support.

Keep us posted and all the best of wishes...JJ...

Old 10-20-2011, 04:31 AM   #6
(male)

darklordd63 HB User

It is a blessing, and she has been a great help unlike my xwife whom came in when I was in the hospital and was jealous becuase a girl that was a friend of mine sent a plant and wished me to get well...so she started a huge argument and I had just almost died on the operating table. THat's really when I thought boy this is just not worth it. I mean a little jealousy is one thing but crimeny that's out of control there. THe Nurse had to remove her cuz she caused so much drama. It was sad. Now I am married to a lovely woman who has her own faults like all of us, but that's not one of them and she is very caring. I drank some diabetic food shake it was yucky. Has anyone tried Glucerose shake or glucernose? Whatever they are called?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
(male)

darklordd63 HB User

Welll the one I had yesterday was gross it had a big lump at the bottom.....eeeeew. Just about made me throw up. I swear it shouldn't be that hard to make things like that.

Closed Thread