It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Not sure of this reading,,,,

Hi,
While on vacation a couple weeks ago I started experiencing heart flutters (I am perimenopausal and this apparently is "normal",,,,,) and decided to go to the ER because it was stressing me out.
During the exam I was given a blood test (among other tests) and all came back normal. When I looked at the test results, my glucose was 134. Now this was taken at 7:00 PM and more than four hours since I had eaten anything. While the doctor didn't seem alarmed and didn't say anything about it, I think 134 is high. I am a 49 yr old female and healthy, but my father suffered from age-onset diabetes 2 and I worry about it.
I have read that being stressed (and I was - thought I was having a heart attack at the time) will cause a higher blood glucose reading.
The last test I had back in 2008 showed a fasting level of 91 which I know is normal. Is 134 too high for a random test given the circumstances?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Re: Not sure of this reading,,,,

The reading may have been from stress, you were experiencing a possible health situation and you were stressing. Have you had another reading since then? That would be a better way to know possibly if you might be borderline diabetic. Have you ever been tested for diabetes, since there is a family health history of it? Might be a good idea to have a physical done and insist on a diabetic test, to be on the safe side. The 134 is a bit high, but not dangerous. But get tested to be sure. For that, you have a good fast, 12 hours, for a good test. Let us know what you may do and find out. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Thanks Rosier,
I have been tested before, but it was four years ago. Last night I went back and looked at the test results again. It was actually 120 & not 134. When I first got to the ER they did a quick test (finger) and that was 134. When they did the actual blood test (and after I had calmed down) that result was 120. So I feel a little bit more at ease, but I am scheduled for a physical next month just to be safe.
I just lost my dad in May 10 days before his 81st birthday, though he was alone when he passed and we don't know if it was a diabetic issue or if he had a heart attack. He NEVER tested his blood and the doctor told him it was time for insulin and he refused. Needless to say, I will get checked out to be on the safe side.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

I started insisting for the test long before my dad died, it was when he was diagnosed, I started to insist at physicals, to get tested. It was after I had my bypass, aortic valve replaced and when I started to have the signs of something wrong, too frequent urination and unquinchable thirst. So it is never too late to test. When it is neg. it is great. Good luck and hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Had my physical Tuesday. Blood test looked great - cholesteral is low, blood pressure was normal, but my fasting BG was 101. When I asked the doc about the high result, he blew it off and said "it's borderline and check it yearly". I hate this guy and will be changing doctors. What does 101 REALLY mean? Pre diabetes? Can I reverse it?

Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
(female)

If he just blew off your worry about your health statis, he has terriable bedside manner. It is sad when a doctor just wants to push patients in the line of money, instead of what matter most, the person. There are a lot of these doctors, they are in the profession for the money, not for doing good for mankind. Good luck in finding another doctor, one who understands why you are advocating good health by checking possibles. They are out there, the bad ones gives us the bad experiences. Keep hangning in there. You will find one you will like and will keep you informed. And on the prediabetes, it is a sign to do good, to get better control. When you find that special doctor, you will get all the care information you need. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well since my dad was diabetic, we still had some of his testing equipment so I decided to take it and start testing myself. One random test yesterday (4 hours after I ate) my level was 91. Today two hours after eating lunch, reading was 85. I need to test in the morning for a fasting level. I am changing doctors though. I still think my old doctor was sensitive to my health concerns.

Closed Thread