It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

jean054 HB User
Neuropathy for Pre Diabetes Possible?

I have been experiencing bilateral tingling in my hands and feet and deep aches in my arms and legs. Its been going on for at least a year. It's so symmetrical I don't think it's a neurological problem.

I've been testing my blood sugar and it's about 98 to 101 in the mornings and 130-140 after eating. But, I am thin and petite, not the typical picture of diabetes. I eat very healthy, but I do drink wine at night.

Is it possible to be pre-diabetic and experience this?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Neuropathy for Pre Diabetes Possible?

You don't really have to be pre or even Diabetic to get Neuropathy. Your numbers look ok but have you had an A1c test done to see if you are possibly pre or Diabetic? As far as eating properly, exercising and also being thin doesn't exclude anyone from becoming Diabetic. Most people assume if one is overweight they become Diabetic but many, many folks who are thin, eat well and exercise get it as well. Your pains may be associated with something else so I would have a talk with my Dr. to see if something else is going on.

Good luck...JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Have you talked to the doctor that treats you for the possibility of what this might be? You should ask the doctor questions, it is power for you to have to be your own health advocate. The need to know is to question someone, and at least get some idea. It might be a sign for many reasons. Best get this check, this has been going on for a year, too long. Be sure to let us know what you do learn, medicine changes all the time. Hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
(female)

jean054 HB User

My Hb1Ac was 5.6 last year (scale 6.0 - 7.0) Is that heading towards it? I will retest it again in a couple weeks.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

An A1c of 5.6 is an average of your glucose running about 122 which is good. I usually always ran a 5.6 to 5.8 for most of my life. Then in 2009 it jumped to 6.4. After re testing again in 4 months it was still 6.4 so my Dr. put me on 500 mgs. of Metformin and I now run an A1c of 6.1-6.3 and she feels that is just fine.

Wait and see what it is this time and have a talk with your Dr.

Good luck...JJ...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
(male)

Carl Tausig HB User

Hello!

Agreement with the comment stating that diabetes is not a necessary antecedent of neuropathy. Neuropathies have causes other than elevated glycemia. e.g., immunological.

Feel well!

CT

Closed Thread