It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

cdmom HB User
blood sugar rises when i don't eat

Hi - I'd so appreciate any info if anyone's experienced something similar:
I had a blood panel done and to my surprise the RN told me my blood sugars were high. Ever since my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer a few years ago I've been incredibly careful with my diet. I'm thin, I exercise religiously and I eat very few carbs. I don't eat pasta, rice, candy, refined sugar of any kind and I don't drink soda or alcohol. The only bread I eat is a single slice of sprouted grain bread in the morning. Other than that it's veggies, lean proteins, nuts, dairy and the occassional piece of fruit. I promise you - I'm not exagerrating. So as I said, I was surprised when my blood sugar came back high on the test. I bought a monitor and test strips and started testing my blood sugar levels and what's weird is I find that when I don't eat for a few hours (especially if I work out really vigorously) I feel shaky and anxious - but I test my blood and the sugar levels are high. I'm so confused. After I eat, they go back down a bit. My fasting levels are in the normal range...I'm concerned because I had an uncle who had Type 1 diabetes that wasn't diagnosed til he was almost 50...
I'd really appreciate any insights. Thank you so much.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: blood sugar rises when i don't eat

First off, what do you mean by "high"? Different folks have different standards. If it is actually high, then it could be your liver dumping glucose in response to your body's requirement for energy. It's not that selective though and tends to over do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
(female)

Jenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB UserJenny1434 HB User

Hi Cdmom, I would ask my doctor to give me an A1c test. That will let you and your doctor know what your average blood sugars have been running for the past three months. You need to find out if you are a diabetic.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
(female)

hannah31 HB User

I agree with Cora that your liver could be dumping glucose because of a need for it due to exercise (perhaps).

Your comments about your weight (not heavy) and what you eat (or don't eat) can only suggest to us that you are probably not developing type 2 diabetes. My own familiarity is with type 1 diabetes, not type 2. My son has type 1 and celiac disease and I can tell you sometimes his blood sugar rises without food: that just means he needs at that moment a higher dose of the basal insulin (he takes Levemir for that). I'm wondering what happens when you eat a high carb food (if you ever do). Since you have BG testing equipment at home, you could actually give yourself a glucose challenge. The procedure is to test in the morning on an empty stomach, then drink two cans of soda (or juice with equivalent carb content), then test an hour and two hours later (or more if you like). Two hours later I believe you are expected to be below some number (I think it is 140 but maybe others here can confirm that). We have never done the glucose test at home, but an endo at one point told me how one does it, and commented it is easily done at home if you have the meter for measuring blood sugar.

I'm a little concerned you could be developing type 1 (although I am not a doctor so don't get too upset by just me suggesting it). If you ate a high carb diet one would expect the main issue to be your body's inability to deal with consumed sugars (or carbs). If you are really eating such a very low carb diet as it seems you might be, then perhaps your body is struggling to produce the maintenance dose of insulin needed (which normally does not happen with t1d until a little later I think).

My son for example, for some months after his t1d still produced enough insulin that he needed no basal dose, just doses for meals (but his meals were typical meals with some carb content). Our bodies do need a little insulin all the time, not just to deal with the food we eat.

Still it seems a little far fetched that you could be short on this low level of needed basal insulin (by your body not producing enough), and I think the liver dumping sugar explanation might make more sense.

In any case, you could do your own home glucose challenge and find out the answer if you wanted, or you could go to an endo who specializes in diabetes (hopefully not just type 2) and you could also get an answer there.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

cdmom HB User

Thank you so much!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

cdmom HB User

Thanks for your suggestion. My insurance covers basically nothing so I've been hesitant to ask for more testing, but I think you're right - I need to find out for sure if I'm diabetic. I really appreciate how quickly the kind folks on this board reply!

Old 10-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
(female)

cdmom HB User

Thank you so much - I will definitely try that. It's interesting you mentioned celiac disease: my family history has several autoimmune diseases in it, celiac disease being one of them. I hope your son is well. My sister's son has celiac and it's meant an enormous amount of adjustment and learning. I'm always amazed by the power of mothers to basically give themselves medical educations on behalf of their kids. Thanks again.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
(male)

Carl Tausig HB User

Hi!

Perhaps you have a stress syndrome expressing glycemic surges from stress hormone elevations, e.g. ACTH, cortisol, epinephrine, responsive to the situation concerning your husband. Have you had the the appropriate blood chemistry profiles to determine whether that might be the case? If were found to be the case, or if it were suspected, on competent examination, perhaps you'd consider therapy, talk or chemical.

Best of luck.

CT

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
(female)

cdmom HB User

Wow - thank you so much. I hadn't considered that. I think I'm going to have to ask for more info & testing from the doctor. Best to you,
cdmom

Closed Thread