It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

Pegger HB User
How to get a large enough blood sample

Hi!
In the past few months, I've met with both my doctor and my naturopath and they actually agreed on something: they both think I have hypoglycemia. I'm not at risk for diabetes. I started doing some research into the condition and I'm pretty sure that I have reactive hypoglycemia (which means that my blood sugar dips two hours after meals). I've learned that one of the better ways to diagnose this condition is to check my blood glucose levels once every hour for a couple of days. The information I gather would also be very useful to present to the doctor. (She didn't seem very knowledgeable about the condition and she gave me some misinformation. I want to present some convincing data so that she'll agree to refer me to an endocrinologist.) So I went out and got a OneTouch monitor. The pharmacist instructed me on how to use it and I brought it home. That's where the frustration began. I'm unable to get large enough blood samples (or at times even to draw blood) in order to get a reading. I went back to the store, and another pharmacist spent some time with me suggesting different tactics: washing my hands in warm water, shaking them, warming them in my armpits, waiting 10 seconds before milking my finger, etc. We also tried a different lancing device, but had no luck. I hardly drew any blood at all. I have good reason to believe that this is due to my low blood pressure.
I'm assuming that I'm not the only person with low blood pressure who uses a glucose monitor. Does anyone out there know of any tricks (or special lancing devices) which might help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Re: How to get a large enough blood sample

The best way to get it a good sample is hold the hand down the side and shake, not vegeroiusly, for a minute or less. That is to get the blood flow good for your fingers. The slight shaking of the hand while lowered at your side is a good way for the blood to flow to the fingers. I have had problems myself and the instructions in the book with the meter will mention ways to get the blood flowing into the fingers. Good luck with this tried and working method.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

In addition, the lancing devices come with a depth adjustment. It may be you simply need to poke a slightly deeper "hole". Also, running your hand under warm water can increase blood flow to the fingers also and may help. Don't forget to dry your hands thoroughly or you may have a problem with accuracy and dilution.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
(female)

Pegger HB User

Thanks, Rosier! I did try the other ideas in the manual, but nothing worked. I tried shaking my hand, but only for about 20 seconds. I'll have to try doing it for longer.

Last edited by Pegger; 10-16-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

Pegger HB User
Thanks, Cora!

Thanks, Cora. When lower adjustments on the lancing device failed to produce any blood, I progressively moved up to the highest setting, and that still didn't work. Furthermore, the warm water didn't help, even if my hands were dry. I'll keep searching. Sooner or later, a solution will present itself...

Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
(male)

partnerbaby HB User
Question Re: How to get a large enough blood sample

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger View Post
Hi!
In the past few months, I've met with both my doctor and my naturopath and they actually agreed on something: they both think I have hypoglycemia. I'm not at risk for diabetes. I started doing some research into the condition and I'm pretty sure that I have reactive hypoglycemia (which means that my blood sugar dips two hours after meals). I've learned that one of the better ways to diagnose this condition is to check my blood glucose levels once every hour for a couple of days. The information I gather would also be very useful to present to the doctor. (She didn't seem very knowledgeable about the condition and she gave me some misinformation. I want to present some convincing data so that she'll agree to refer me to an endocrinologist.) So I went out and got a OneTouch monitor. The pharmacist instructed me on how to use it and I brought it home. That's where the frustration began. I'm unable to get large enough blood samples (or at times even to draw blood) in order to get a reading. I went back to the store, and another pharmacist spent some time with me suggesting different tactics: washing my hands in warm water, shaking them, warming them in my armpits, waiting 10 seconds before milking my finger, etc. We also tried a different lancing device, but had no luck. I hardly drew any blood at all. I have good reason to believe that this is due to my low blood pressure.
I'm assuming that I'm not the only person with low blood pressure who uses a glucose monitor. Does anyone out there know of any tricks (or special lancing devices) which might help me?

Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
(male)

partnerbaby HB User
Question Re: How to get a large enough blood sample

I have the same problem so I wadded up a small piece of aluminum foil and put in the lancer under the lancet so as the lancet will go deeper and that works most of the time for me.:

Old 10-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
(female)

Pegger HB User
Thumbs up Thanks, Partnerbaby!

Now that's creative! That's the kind of trick that a pharmacist wouldn't think of. I'm going to try it tonight! I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by mod85; 10-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Closed Thread