It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User
Diabetes or not?

Can a person be diabetic without testing positive? I know this sounds weird. Even writing it I want to erase it. I just need to know if anyone else out there has had this.

This year I was diagnosed with neuropathy in my feet. No known cause. The doctor said that most people that have neuropathy also have diabetes.

I had the fasting blood test, I've had the blood test late in the day after eating regularly all day & I've had the urine test. All have come back negative.

A pain management doctor told me that he had a patient just like me that had the same symptoms test negative for diabetes & then all of a sudden tested postive.

I don't know what to think anymore.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Diabetes or not?

You don't need to be Diabetic to get neuropathy. Like you, I know 3 people who have it and are not Diabetic. Yours could be caused from some kind of nerve damage or some other problem. I'm not sure what kind of tests that would be done to show your problem but am sure there is something they can do.

Yes it is possible you could show up with Diabetes later but for now, they need to find out what is causing your pain.

Wishing you the best...JJ...

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
sjb (11-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
Ihate2w8 (10-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

It sounds like you need to set up a consult with a neurologist to find the cause of your neuropathy if it is not from diabetes. There can be many reasons for neuropathy but a neurologist will need to run tests to determine the causes.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
(female)

Ihate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB UserIhate2w8 HB User

I've been to 4 neurologists, a nero-surgeon, a rheumatologist, a vein doctor, my own doctor, a podiatrist & I'm sure there's more in there that I'm forgetting about.

I've have MRI's with & without contrast of my whole body, CAT Scans, blood tests, nerve tests, skin biopsy & again, I'm sure that there are tests tht I'm forgetting.

I've been dealing with this for 3 yrs now. Gotten worse this past year. The skin biopsy found SFN. Since all my other tests have come back negative they are calling it idiopathic.

I guess I'm having trouble accepting that there's no known cause & am continuing to try to find a reason for it so that if the cause can be managed so can the SFN.

I hope that makes sense.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Bless your heart! I know it must be extraordinarily frustrating to have no answers. Unfortunately doctors sometimes can't find causes for why our bodies do the things they do. I really hope that eventually you will get some solid answers that can help you deal with the situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to mim For This Useful Post:
Ihate2w8 (10-19-2011)
Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi sometimes Raynaud's or hypoglycemia ( a prediabetic condition according to some or the opposite according to others) can be associated with neuropathies. Peace.

Closed Thread