It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
(male)

bapush HB User
Metformin and Diarrhea

Has anyone who's had diarrhea on Metformin been able to switch to another type 2 diabetes medicine (other than insulin) and not have the diarrhea?

Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Metformin and Diarrhea

That is one of the most common side effects of Metformin. I had a horrid time with it until I started taking it just before my biggest meal, which was dinner about 5 p.m. Taking it on an empty stomach drove me bats.

Good luck...JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

I have had problems off and on with that side affect, which is very common and is on the warnings that come with the fill. You have to find something to help ease the discomfort and be sure to eat a meal with a dose of metformin. Be good and hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
(male)

bapush HB User

Two other questions:

Can the diarrhea be intermittent and still cuased by the Metformin? You see, I have days when I am fine and then Wham! Diarrhea.

Also, Can I develop this diarrhea even though I have been taking metfomin for years and didn't have this probelm before?

So you know, I've had a serious diarrhea problem for over 6 weeks now, and its kept me out of work (I'm a shcoolteacher and can't legally leave the kids alone to run to the bathroom) My GI has taken me off of every other medicine, except the Metformin (I think she's worried about my Blood sugar, and I think she think's that since I've been on it for years, it can not be the cause). They've done blood tests, stool tests, etc. I had a sigmoidoscopy 10 days ago, and they still found nothing. Today, I'm scheduled for an endoscopy, and I'm really scared aobut them NOT finding anything, but my diarrhea continuing.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

Hopefully ethe enoscopy will find the answer. It is unusual for you to have it for six weeks and be unable to work. Something is amiss and it it something else other than the metformin. Hopefully, you will soon get a answer. Six weeks is too long and you are getting it checked now. Be good and hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Closed Thread