It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

Equitorial HB User
Please help, do I have prediabetes!?

I have always had a sweet tooth, and eat a lot of sugar foods in my day. I am a female, 5' 2'', and 21 years old. I have a BMI of 24.8 which is still in the "normal" range but any higher would be considered overweight.

I do not eat many vegetables, eat mostly things like soups and noodles, only eat meats like chicken, tuna, and beef, along with various sweets. Always been a chocaholic, and I must admit very often I'd make chocolate frosting just to eat it. I don't exercise, am inactive, and drink lots of water. The sweeth tooth seems to be genetic, as my grandmother once made a cake for her kids afterschool when my mother was young and she ate the whole thing before they got home. She was the same body type as me, not overweight, but not exactly a healthy weight either.

For the past year or so my periods have slowed and became very infrequent. Recently when I eat something, especially something sweet, I will feel a dull, achy, burning pain in my stomach, but mostly in my back behind my stomach. Because of this I have begun to fast and am going to try to eat more vegetables and fruits along with things high in fiber like oatmeal. The pain at times was pretty intense and I had to lay down. Also, when eating foods I have gotten moments of intense heat that almost make me sweat and make me feel very uncomfortable. I have not gone to the doctor about my menstruation but it has been worrying me, my mother says not to worry because it can happen in young people from time to time, but I feel I'm a little too old to have that still happen.

I am worried I am getting prediabetes or have it, and am wondering any tips on reversal or if these are known to be common symptoms of prediabetes. These symptoms are very new, within the week, other than my missed periods.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Re: Please help, do I have prediabetes!?

Sorry your having such a hard time. With history in your family I would try to make better choices about eating especially curb your sweet tooth. There are many foods out there you can eat and small amounts of fruits. Try testing your sugar the next time you eat and break out in a sweat, that happens to some when sugars are high.
And yes it is possible for your period to skip around or stop. At 21 you should be seeing a doctor about this just to be sure and tell him about the pain you have when eating. It could be an ulcer or something else. There are many things that could be doing this and to guess at it would be foolish. I would rather have it checked out along with a blood test so you know whats going on.

In the mean time try to eat better and less carbs. Noodles are very glycemic unless your using whole wheat pastas. But you have to watch the amounts you eat of them just like everything. Fasting is not good if your diabetic. Go get it checked out from a good internist and obgyn for your period.
I think we all love sweets, but I find if I cheat a little and have a little choclate I seem to want more and more so actually it's better for me to just avoid the cravings if I can.
Good luck to you and hope you see your Doc and go from there.

Closed Thread