It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
I eat six small, healthy balanced meals and I chew but not swallow lots of snacks!

Since I've stopped ALL snacks and just eat my normal, small, 6 low calorie, low carb, balanced, very healthy meals each day; my fasting blood sugar (FBS) has been in the lower 80's and my blood pressure has remained around 122/72 ALL THE TIME.

The only difference? I actually snack much more than I did before. I snack on two bags of low salt popcorn; tortilla chips; chocolate bar; granola bars; soy ice cream; and plenty of caffeine free coffee to wash it down. Buts....... I do not swallow the snacks! I only chew them up, but do not swallow. It works for me. Keeps my blood sugar at healthy levels and gives an old retired guy like me something to do while I surf the net, or watch my favorite shows via my TIVO.

Anyone else into "chew but not swallow"? How well does it work for you? Do you also maintain a healthy diet?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: I eat six small, healthy balanced meals and I chew but not swallow lots of snacks

Hi there. I hope you don't mind a kind of gross question, but what do you do with what you have chewed? Is it like chewing tobacco and you spit into something? I have to admit that I am not eating well. I have a variety of stomach problems and cannot eat much and have reflux and gastroparesis. I've lost a ton of weight and have been eating calorically dense stuff to maintain my weight (I'm a 93 pound weakling right now). I'm worried about my cholesterol, but my dietitian reminds me that it's more dangerous for me to be underweight right now and the bad food is just for the short term. I am having a bit of fun with some of what I eat, but I'm also tired which is probably due to a bit of lack of proper nutrition.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cora1003:
Machaon (10-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: I eat six small, healthy balanced meals and I chew but not swallow lots of snacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
Hi there. I hope you don't mind a kind of gross question, but what do you do with what you have chewed? Is it like chewing tobacco and you spit into something?
Exactly. I say "chew but not swallow" so that I don't gross people out.

I buy the supermarket brand Entree plastic bowls, five for $2.50, and use them. They close air tight and work out very well! I also use regular bowls for when the snacks are safe to dispose of normally thru the sewer pipes.

Quote:
I have to admit that I am not eating well. I have a variety of stomach problems and cannot eat much and have reflux and gastroparesis.
Sorry to hear that. Those are difficult problems to deal with.

In my case, back in 2003-2004 my Heart Failure, Diabetes II, Insulin Resistance, Chronic High Blood Pressure and Health were rapidly going down hill. I could not sleep or sit except for being straight up. I could not recline or lie down. I had constant breathing problems and swelling and was very weak.

Going on a very strict, small meal, low calorie, frequent eating diet of seven meals per day has basically saved my life and made me feel much better!

But I have no idea how a diet like that would effect you, either bad or good?

Quote:
I've lost a ton of weight and have been eating calorically dense stuff to maintain my weight (I'm a 93 pound weakling right now). I'm worried about my cholesterol, but my dietitian reminds me that it's more dangerous for me to be underweight right now and the bad food is just for the short term. I am having a bit of fun with some of what I eat, but I'm also tired which is probably due to a bit of lack of proper nutrition.
In order for the metabolism to properly process calories into energy, it must be given a balance between healthy fats, carbs and proteins. The most frequent recommendations that I have read are: Carbs 50%; Fats 30% and Proteins 20%.

I hope that between your doctors, your dietitian and yourself, you can quickly find solutions to your health problems. You sound like a very nice person, and deserve better health!

Take care......

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The following user gives a hug of support to Machaon:
Cora1003 (10-23-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Cora1003 (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Cora,
I'm so sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble. Have you tried any of the liquid meal replacements, such as Glucerna, Boost or Ensure? Even if you can only sip a bit at a time, it might help supply more nutrition.

Ruth

Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Thanks Ruth. I'm not taking them for a variety of reasons. First (and foremost) I can taste the chemicals. Yuck! Secondly, because of the gastroparesis, I only have a limited amount of room in my stomach, so I do go for foods that I like and that are calorically dense - cream soups with some crackers, etc. I try to balance my protein, carbs, and fats and I'm at least stable right now.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Since I've stopped ALL snacks and just eat my normal, small, 6 low calorie, low carb, balanced, very healthy meals each day; my fasting blood sugar (FBS) has been in the lower 80's and my blood pressure has remained around 122/72 ALL THE TIME.
Over the past week, I added a few grapes to my cereals and my one egg microwaved omelets. My blood sugar and blood pressure readings were all at wonderful levels, but my ankles, feet and lower legs bloated up!

I stopped adding the grapes to my meals, and my ankles, legs and feet have gone back to normal.

It makes me think that the grapes caused my carbohydrate load for the day to exceed the comfortable limits for my metabolism, even though my blood sugar levels were still at healthy levels.

So....... the lesson for my day? Blood Sugar readings can be great, but our diets could still be too high in carbohydrates!

Quote:
I snack on two bags of low salt popcorn; tortilla chips; chocolate bar; granola bars; soy ice cream; and plenty of caffeine free coffee to wash it down. Buts....... I do not swallow the snacks! I only chew them up, but do not swallow.
Not to admit defeat to the grapes, I tried to "chew but not swallow" grapes. It isn't as much fun as my other "chew but not swallow" snacks, so I'll just have to forget about grapes. No big deal!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 10-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I now "chew but not swallow" three granola bars, two bags of popcorn, tortilla chips, a variety of different soy or rice ice creams, AND a nice creamy almond milk chocolate bar.

"Chewing but not swallowing" along with my very healthy diet, has been of great benefit to me.

My blood sugar readings have become even lower as I have continued to "chew but not swallow" my snacks, and not actually eating them!

For instance, my blood pressure, bright and early this morning, at 4:30am, was 117/68, my fasting blood sugar (FBS) was 86 and my two hour postprandial blood sugar was 93!

Anyone else "chew but not swallow" in addition to eating a very healthy diet?

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-25-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

Machaon,

"Chewing and spitting" is an eating disorder, it is very common and also dangerous. It can also lead to other eating disorders.

Although on the surface, chewing and spitting may not seem to be harmful, there are many potentially harmful consequences to the behavior. People with this disorder can experience physical problems, such as swollen glands, mouth sores, cavities, cracked teeth, sore throats, and irritated or ulcerated stomachs. When a person begins to eat the salivary glands cause stomach acids to flow. Because the person has spit out their food, these acids instead work on the mouth and stomach, resulting in the problems described above.

Seeing, smelling, and tasting food also triggers the release of insulin. When a person is constantly chewing and spitting there is excess insulin. Insulin increases appetite, which makes the person feel hungrier. This intensifies the urge to chew and spit. Therein lies the addiction to chewing and spitting, which can be very difficult to stop.

In theory it sounds like a great idea, get all the taste out of your food but no calories, in reality it is dangerous.

Pup

The Following User Says Thank You to pupcake For This Useful Post:
Machaon (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
Machaon,

"Chewing and spitting" is an eating disorder, it is very common and also dangerous. It can also lead to other eating disorders.
I think almost everyone has an eating disorder.

If you would stand at a street corner and watch the people go by, almost everyone going by is overweight! I watch cooking shows and almost all of the chefs are grossly overweight! Over-eating causes all kinds of health problems. Over-eating, and eating the wrong diet, are national health problems.

Quote:
Although on the surface, chewing and spitting may not seem to be harmful, there are many potentially harmful consequences to the behavior. People with this disorder can experience physical problems, such as swollen glands, mouth sores, cavities, cracked teeth, sore throats, and irritated or ulcerated stomachs. When a person begins to eat the salivary glands cause stomach acids to flow. Because the person has spit out their food, these acids instead work on the mouth and stomach, resulting in the problems described above.
I've now been "eating and not chewing" great tasting snacks for months without any health problems at all. If anything, I have been feeling better and better. I just came back from my annual physical at the Cleveland Clinic and my doctor came over after the physical and shook my hand and told me that I was in remarkable physical condition for someone my age! You have no idea how great that made me feel!

On the other hand, you have some good advice and information and I appreciate your well-informed input! I will certainly be looking out for any signs of problems caused by my "chew and not swallowing". So far, everything has been great! I am really enjoying guilt-less snacking.

Perhaps my demanding physical exercise, combined with my very healthy diet and my taking the magnificent medical discovery and breakthrough Coreg, is helping me to avoid any problems with "chew by not swallow"?

Quote:
Seeing, smelling, and tasting food also triggers the release of insulin. When a person is constantly chewing and spitting there is excess insulin. Insulin increases appetite, which makes the person feel hungrier. This intensifies the urge to chew and spit. Therein lies the addiction to chewing and spitting, which can be very difficult to stop.
This is very interesting info! Thanks! The excess release of Insulin might lead to Insulin Resistance, I condition that I had used to have. I'll have to watch for any signs of my Insulin Resistance coming back. I'll sure find out if there are any problems with "chew and not swallow" because I am really enjoying it, my health is doing better than ever, and I intend to continue with my current diet until I notice any signs of problems.

Quote:
In theory it sounds like a great idea, get all the taste out of your food but no calories, in reality it is dangerous.

Pup
Because I have Diastolic Heart Failure (my Atria are enlarged by 50%); heart valve disease; permanent atrial fibrillation; etc., I have complete blood tests including A1c about every three months. All of my blood tests and physicals have been at very healthy levels; and my latest EchoCardiogram has shown my heart disease to significantly improve over the past year. The damage to my heart used to extend down into my ventricles, but not any more!

So..... I must be doing something good, right? Regardless, I am going to seriously consider your wise, informed advice and information, and make sure that what I am doing doesn't lead to an increase in health problems.

Thanks!

Best of health!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-25-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

If you have been doing it for months- try to stop, You may not be able to. Do a search online for "chew & spit" I'm serious.

Pup

Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
If you have been doing it for months- try to stop, You may not be able to.
I would not like to stop, but I would reduce the "chew but not swallow" if I had to.

I used to get ankle, feet and leg swelling, when I had too many carbs in my diet. The swelling went away after I cut back on carbs. A little while ago my feet, ankles and legs started to bloat, again.

I had recently added grapes to my four cereals per day, and to my one-egg microwaved omelet, eaten twice per day. I've eliminated the grapes from my diet and my swelling has gone away. All this time, I have been "chewing but not swallowing". My complete blood count has been great, my cholesterol and triglycerides have been at very healthy levels, and my A1c has averaged around 5.3%.

So...... as long as the "chewing but not swallow" has absolutely no apparent negative effect on my health, and I really am enjoying it, I plan to keep it up!

Quote:
Do a search online for "chew & spit" I'm serious.

Pup
I did a lot of researching of "chew & spit" over the past several months of my "chew but not swallow". That is actually where I got some ideas of the best methods to use.

I "assume" that the reason why my "chewing and not swallow" has not given me any problems, at all, is because I also eat a very healthy, small meal, low calorie, balanced diet.

However, I do very much appreciate your concern and your input. As a result of your posts, I have been researching "salivary enzymes" and "insulin" and plan to continue my research in order to find out more about the relationship between chewing and insulin. I've had much higher blood sugar levels in the past, and have also suffered from Insulin Resistance and certainly do not want to go back to those nasty days ever again!

Thanks, again!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-25-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
If you have been doing it for months- try to stop, You may not be able to.
I have experimented with my health many times, and except for one unfortunate bad outcome, I have had a lot of luck in curing or greatly improving my own health, with little help from medical professionals.

Back in 2000, after years of ENTs and multiple annual sinus infections, I discovered a method for permanently curing my sinus infections. I have now gone over a decade without a sinus infection.

Back in 2004, I had very unhealthy blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides; and I was also Insulin Resistant. I was able to cure my own Insulin Resistance and lower my own blood sugar, blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides down to permanently healthy levels, with little or no help from medical professionals.

Back in 2004 I was having constant breathing problems, edema, over-sweating, weakness, fatigue and chest pains, and the damage to my heart was spreading down into my ventricles and heart valves. Through research and experimenting I have been able to reverse my heart disease and greatly improve my Heart Failure and Heart Valve Disease.

Through my home experiments with SLIT, I have been able to greatly reduce my allergic and Asthmatic reactions to some of my most significant allergens, and it has significantly improved my quality of life. Unfortunately, one of my SLIT experiments backfired, and has cause me some moderate problems.

I do this, not to boast, but to make a statement that as a 70 year old senior citizen, I have had to be very proactive in my own medical care in order to survive my serious health problems.

In summary....... I do what I have to, in order to stay healthy. If I have to cut back, or eliminate my wonderful, enjoyable, very tasty "chew and not swallow", I will!

Regardless, I do value your input. I am enjoying learning more about the digestive system, and "chew and not swallow", and if it weren't for your input, I would not be doing this!

So..... thanks!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-25-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
... Seeing, smelling, and tasting food also triggers the release of insulin. When a person is constantly chewing and spitting there is excess insulin.
Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Needless to say, I've been doing a lot of research into "chew and not swallow" and Insulin. (what can I say, I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands. Wife is out with her girlfriend "sipping" beers and I am left "chewing and not swallowing" my popcorn right now).

I found something called Cephalic Phase Insulin Release (CPIR), which is a release of Insulin during the chewing/tasting Stage of digestion. The tests that were performed on humans concentrated on the effects of taste upon CPIR. It seemed like they were most interested in the effects of sugar versus artificial sweeteners, where it was found that both sugar and artificial sweeteners both elicited a release of Insulin during chewing.

One test with women showed a significant CPIR reaction during the first few minutes after consuming "sweet tasting" items, whereas non "sweet tasting" items did not cause a significant CPIR reaction.

Another test with men showed no CPIR reaction after sucking on sweet nonflavored tablets.

The articles are very difficult to read and to understand, so I am just beginning my study of the CPIR results.

If I have to cut down on my sweet tasting "chew but not swallow" snacks, I will, either because of the CPIR studies, or because of my own complete blood tests and A1c, every three months, or because of increasing symptoms.

I just took my blood sugar after snacking on a chocolate bar and tortilla chips. It was 97. That concerns me because, I would think that it should be higher, and perhaps an Insulin response is keeping my blood sugar at healthy levels after "chew and not swallow". On the other hand, I do a lot of demanding physical exercise. So..... what to think???

Tally Hoooo! Off to do some more boring reading about Cephalic Phase Insulin Release (CPIR)

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-26-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

You may be cutting the food into six meals, but you are still taking in salt, no matter what you are trying, you absorbe through the mouth into the blood stream You need to get into healthy snacking like an apple or orange, not a lot of them. It won't hurt your glucose to eat healthy snacks, just not so many in the way you are eating them. If you have problems with the glucose and diet, get with a diabetes educator. Trying this way you might be doing more harm than good. Make sure this is okay with your doctor. Good luck. And hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosier View Post
You may be cutting the food into six meals, but you are still taking in salt, no matter what you are trying, you absorbe through the mouth into the blood stream
Thanks for your feedback. I had hoped for comments, so that I could better research my "chew and not swallow" to make sure what I am doing is safe and healthy.

From my reading, from creditable sources, salt gets absorbed by the small intestines, along with the nutrients from the food, and not significantly absorbed either in the mouth or through the skin. That makes sense to me because if the skin absorbed salt then those who spend a lot of time at the beach would be in lots of trouble!

Plus..... I eat four salads per day and two veggie plates per day, both of which are low salt.

Needless to say, I will continue to research this issue, but continue to "chew and not swallow" my popcorn and tortilla chips.

If you could tell me why do you think that the body absorbs/digests salt through the mouth, it will definitely help with my research!

Quote:
You need to get into healthy snacking like an apple or orange, not a lot of them.
Thanks, again, for the advice!

My Diabetes and Insulin Resistance is controlled very well through diet and exercise, without having to take any Diabetic medication. I eat ¼ small apple with my cereal, four times per day. I used to eat ¼ orange at breakfast, but it had a negative effect on my blood sugar so I cut out the orange.

Quote:
It won't hurt your glucose to eat healthy snacks, just not so many in the way you are eating them.
Makes good sense. Thanks!

Currently, I do not eat any snacks, just "chewing and not swallowing" my snacks. It is really working out GREAT for me and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I hope that I can continue this tasty, enjoyable "hobby".

However..... I am cutting down on my sweet tasting, "chew and not swallow" snacks, because of the comments from pupcake, regarding the Insulin response to chewing. In my research, I learned that chewing sweet tasting foods probably trigger an Insulin reaction. Plus.... I did a lot of "chewing and not swallowing" of sweet tasting snacks yesterday and experienced some swelling in my feet and ankles. Today, I will still "chew and not swallow" my snacks, but I will reduce the sweet tasting ones, and see if my feet and ankles do any swelling today.

Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure levels are still at a very healthy reading!

Quote:
Good luck. And hugs for today.
Thanks for your good advice and for commenting on this issue. You brought up an interesting point about the absorption of salt by "chewing and not swallowing", which I intend to research further. Tis not easy, though, finding creditable sources and articles, so it takes a lot of time!

Best of health! Thanks!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 10-27-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Closed Thread