It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Blood glucose 548 on meds and diet

My blood glucose test 10/4/11 was 289. The doctor then ordered an A1c test; the result was 11.5. After seeing the results of my blood glucose test, and especially in the past week after buying a blood glucose monitor and seeing just how bad my blood sugar was, I'd been eating very lightly to avoid an emergency from very high blood sugar. Consequently I've lost eight pounds

I saw my doctor for the first time yesterday since having diabetic symptoms and was diagnosed with diabetes. (Surprise! LOL) She said she wanted to start meds slowly, so put me on 500mg metformin and 100mg Januvia and gave me an 1800 calorie diet. And she told me that if my blood sugar should end up over 400 and I was feeling really bad, to go to the emergency room. The idea was that she would gradually increase my metformin, but wouldn't do that until my next appointment in two weeks. She also chided me for taking so many blood tests, saying to only take them at bedtime and before meals for now.

I took my meds after dinner last night as directed, but forgot to take my BS before bedtime as I typically go to bed shortly after eating dinner. But by the time I took my BS at 3:30 AM before my middle-of-the-night "snack," it was down to 297. And my before-breakfast reading at 10:00 AM was 291. These were readings similar or slightly better than I'd been getting shortly before seeing the doctor but I'd now been eating more food, so while that was far from being under control, at least we were heading in the right direction.

But then I ate breakfast. The meal plan called for 2 starches, 1 meat, 2 fruit, 1 milk and 1 fat serving. Most of the foods I ate were the same foods as listed as a menu example, though I did substitute an extra meat serving (some ham in my scrambled egg) for a starch serving (example was 1/2 cup cream of wheat). I ended up feeling rather poorly after breakfast, but certainly not so poorly I thought I should go to an emergency room. I did lie down for a few minutes to rest, but I was able to go back to normal activities (even got down on hands and knees to scrub a floor) and by lunch time was feeling pretty normal again. But then I took by BS before lunch about 2:00 PM. 548! That would have been about 3.5 hours since finishing breakfast.

There was no way with a BS like that that I dared to eat the prescribed lunch of 2 starches, 2 meats, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, and 2 fats! I ended up having a marinated bean salad over a mostly green salad which I'd interpret as 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable and 1.5 fat servings. And I'm skipping the afternoon snack of 1 starch and 1 fruit (for which the example was 6 vanilla wafers and 1 small banana. I'd be in the hospital!) My doctor isn't in on Fridays, so I couldn't call her and ask anything.

So what would you do? Follow the diet and resign myself that I'll end up going to the hospital to let them sort it out? Go back to my former low-calorie diet at which I was losing weight until I can get an appointment with an endocrinologist? I have no idea how long that would take. (I'm currently at 120 pounds, what I consider the low end of my ideal weight range.) Follow my gut on diet until I go back and see my doctor in two weeks and ask to be put on insulin? Other?

And how bad do I have to feel before it warrants going to emergency? Some people go to emergency at the drop of a hat, but with high blood sugar, what is true emergency? What would be the symptoms - besides just a bad reading. (And incidentally, I haven't yet had my monitor checked for accuracy, though presumably most of them are now pretty good. My doctor said to wait until my next blood test in about a month.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Blood glucose 548 on meds and diet

There is an expression that says "eat to your meter". In your case I think that will mean cutting out the carbs (starches and fruit) to help bring your sugars down and feel better. Basically keep a food diary and test 2 hours after and see how your glucose is doing. Many folks find the ADA (and doc's) guidelines too high in carb.

Hope things settle for you and you don't have to go to emerg. I would definitely see an endo.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Blood glucose 548 on meds and diet

Uff-Da!, up until 2004 I was having increasing health problems because of my High Blood Pressure, Insulin Resistance and my High Blood Sugar readings (although not nearly as high as yours). I went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance, which dramatically improved my blood pressure, Insulin Resistance and my blood sugar levels, without ever having to take diabetic medication.

I am not a health professional, or health student, so I am not saying that what I did would benefit you, but if you would care to review what I had done to heal my own Diabetic condition and Insulin Resistance, the thread in the High & Low Blood Pressure Topic is "Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure?" and the direct link is:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229&highlight=insuli n

Regardless...... your blood sugar levels are very worrisome. I hope that you can bring yours down to safer levels ASAP!

Take care.....

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-29-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Closed Thread