It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
Nasty cyst

Sister had nasty cyst removed from her back leaving a gaping hole. I need to change her bandage 2x a day. Doctor said cyst was a result of her being diabetic. She takes metformin and watches her diet. Are these cysts likely to come back ? It is very painful to change her bandage and cram gauze down into the wound itself. Doctor didn't prescribe adeguate pain relief so that had to be revisited. I ahve heard these can come back or pop up other places.
What ARE these things ?

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
(female)

Puddin HB User
Re: Nasty cyst

It certainly can come back if they didn't get it all the first time. I don't think that's necessarily because of the diabetes, though. I had a sebaceous cyst in the middle of my back probably 15 years ago that my pcp removed in his office. He said he thought he got it all. All was good for a while but it did eventually return. I tried to "manage" it on my own hoping that it would resolve itself. Big mistake. A couple of years ago, at a regular visit to my pcp, I showed it to him. He immediately made me an appointment with a surgeon because I had let it get so large, he couldn't handle it in his office. Next day the surgeon decided to try to take care of it in his office, but was skeptical because he had never seen one so large. He arranged for home healthcare people to come to my home to take care of it. Watched it for a while and then trained my husband to take care of it and they would just come out once a week to keep an eye on it. They decided that I needed to go back to the surgeon because it wasn't healing like it should. Surgeon decided to work on it again as a one-day surgery at the hospital. Worked for a while, but still wasn't healing properly so I went in one more time for one-day surgery. After this, the surgeon arranged for the home healthcare people to hook me up to a would vac which literally keeps suction on the wound to draw out all the nastiness (sorry so graphic). This went on for a couple of months. They came to my house every other day to take care of the wound vac. Eventually, it healed. The surgeon kept me supplied with oxycodone during this whole thing, but there were times when the wound was being worked on, I would still end up screaming from the pain. I would have to ask to take a break. Now I just have a nasty crater in the middle of my back, but at least it's okay now. Been about a year. Sorry so lengthy, but I just want you to know what CAN happen if you don't tend to it aggressively from day one. If it doesn't look like it's healing properly, get back to the doctor! My first mistake was waiting so long to go to the doctor when it started showing up again (I'm talking years). And I should have gone back to the surgeon when the home healthcare people suggested that I do so. Both my pcp, surgeon and the nurses said that the whole thing was complicated by my diabetes. Again, sorry so lengthy. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread