It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
(male)

mark4785 HB User
Diabetes: Strange Symptoms

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for 7 years now (I was diagnosed July of 2004) and for the past 4 years I have been controlling my glucose levels using Novorapid insulin via pump theraphy after having controlled my levels with the outmoded mixtard insulin via a Novonordisk pen.

At the age of around 17, I began developing new symptoms of diabetes which involved very high and uncontrollable hyperglycemia between the specific times of 10 am and 2 pm. Within this time frame, my glucose levels typically rise to 12 m/mol right up to 18 m/mol and the only thing that I can do to induce a reduction is to excessively exercise. Unfortunately, from experience, no matter how much insulin I administer during this time frame, I find it has absolutely no effect. When I first started experiencing these high blood glucose levels I naturally gave myself a number of correction boluses, only to find it had no effect; thus I'd continually administer correction boluses thinking perhaps that I'd not administered enough. The effect of doing this was that the correction insulin would lay dormant until late evening at which point it would cause a dramatic fall in my glucose level to the point that I'd go dizzy, very cold, confused and my blood pressure would drop to dangerous levels.

I think a natural question that one might ask after reading the above is, why does insulin, during the morning period, not reduce my glucose levels? At the age of 14, when I was diagnosed with type 1, this problem did not exist, so what has changed since then to make type 1 a living hell to live with?

Another strange symptom I now experience is a recurring feeling of sickness (which lasts for only 1-2 seconds) when my insulin is having no effect on my glucose levels, and, I get recurring claminess on my forehead (just below my fringe) which travels down my shoulder blades; this has occurred despite having a glucose level between 5.0 and 8.0 m/mol on some days. What could be causing these symptoms, especially the latter?

I have consulted with my Doctor about the recurring claminess and I was shocked and disgusted to hear from him that attempting to do blood tests to reveal what may be it's cause would be deemed a "waste of NHS monetary resources". The NHS means the National Health Service which provides free medical treatment in the UK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Diabetes: Strange Symptoms

Hi Mark. Have you thought about changing your basal rate during the morning when you glucose rises? This might be more effective than dosing with corrections. I was actually more insulin sensitive during that period and had to decrease mine.

Not sure about the claminess. I found it had to do with eating and sometimes the amount of sodium in my food. I would often break out in a sweat with mealtimes and it was embarrassing.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Closed Thread