It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

debdaniel HB User
Insulin pump vs. shots

I have been on insulin for about 3 years. I do shots 2 times a day. Since I am on plavix for last 2 years my poor abdomen is black and blue from the bruises. I am so sick of the needles. Would an insulin pump be a good option? Is it easy dealing with the pump?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Insulin pump vs. shots

Bruising is of course more common when one is on a blood thinning medication. And you can get bruising at an insertion site, even when you're on the pump. The difference is that on the pump, you insert the site once every 3 to 3-1/2 days, and that would be only one bruise site. I'm on aspirin therapy, and I've had sites that have bruised, and other sites that haven't. I even had one site bleed like crazy when I removed the site (although it had been fine for the entire 3 1/2 days that the site was in.) Needless to say, I got a huge bruise on that site.

And you don't always bruise...I've been on aspirin therapy for about two years, and I only get bruising maybe one site out of 15. Can't say what would happen with Plavix, though...my doc wanted me to stay away from it because I also take omeprazole which apparently reacts with Plavix.

Anyway, while the learning curve when going on the pump is quite steep, in my opinion it's well worth it. I have much better control on the pump than I ever did with shots (A1c's of 6.2 to 6.5, compared to 7.0 to 7.5 on shots). You have to learn how to count carbs, though, so if you're interested in a pump, that would be the first step...that and gearing your insulin to food. Most people go on the "poor man's pump" first - lantus or levemir for basal insulin with humalog or novolog for bolus insulin, counting carbs to determine how much bolus insulin to give.

And you need to test often when on a pump...I test a minimum of 6 times a day, and sometimes as many as 8 or even 10 in unusual circumstances.

Don't get me wrong...I absolutely ADORE my pump, and wouldn't go back to shots for any reason whatsoever, but using a pump isn't that simple, so do a lot of research first and make sure you can commit to doing the work before getting one.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

RA1NB0W HB User

Pumping changes your outlook and routine - among other things. I've had mine for...3 years and wouldn't choose to return to MDI. You may also want to try the I-Port which eliminates the # of different pokes you have per day..

the product was released after I had my pump, so I never tried it, but here is what they say about it; You Can:

•Take correction doses without the cost of an additional skin puncture
•Reduce the trauma that can follow multiple skin punctures
•Avoid skipping shots or altering your meals to avoid injections
•Minimize physical and emotional injection barriers

Best Wishes,

R

Last edited by RA1NB0W; 01-12-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: pressed enter too soon!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I LOVED MY PUMP!!! Sorry for shouting, but it's something I feel really strongly about. It was fantastic for having a different basal to handle the dawn phenomenon. It was great for sleeping in or eating an extra treat. Skipping meals was no problem. And the tiny increments you can change the dosing by allows for much tighter control. Also one shot every 3 days is terrific too. I don't know how you'd do with the plavix, but I suspect you would be ok in the long run.

Best of luck.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Just to add. Don't get me wrong, a pump is a lot of work. You have to test a lot and you have to learn carb counting and figure out all your ratios and settings. And since things don't always stay the same, the work is often ongoing. But I found the benefits far outweighed the work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
debdaniel (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
(female)

debdaniel HB User

Thanks for all your responses.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
(male)

Diabetic1 HB User
Smile Re: Insulin pump vs. shots

I don't know your medical history but I was very close to having to use a pump.My diabetes was so out of control I just didn't care.I ate what I wanted whenever I wanted and however much I wanted.My A1C numbers were 14-17.My doctor warned me all the time that if I didn't get my diabetes under control something bad would happen.Well,he was correct;I got Charcot foot in my right foot.Also,I broke my ankle too.I'm about to get my ankle surgery and the Charcot foot is in the healing stage.I found out the way to getting off of insulin and controlling your diabetes is to watch what you eat! Push yourself away from the table and count your calories.I have a long way to go but I am much smarter now!

Closed Thread