It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
(male)

ttwarrior1 HB Userttwarrior1 HB User
Question about lab test and pre diabetes

About 6 months ago doc said i didnt have diabetes but was on my way to it so he prescribed me 500 mg of metformin. I guess its not working because
I just got a letter in the mail after a blood test 2 weeks ago. I went to doc because i ran out and had to get a new prescription. I was out for a week prior to the test .

He says my hemoglobin is A1C of 10.4 and sent a prescription of 1000 mg twice a day. I was taking 500 once a day.

Is this a little extreme? I don't want to take any meds period. I don't think I'll fill it.

Okay i know cinammon and chromium are good for you, what other supplements can i take. Im broke so i need to know when i can take something natural if i continue with 500 mg.

I currently take a multi , vitaman c, vitaminD, about it.

Id like to take something not over 20 or 30 bucks.
I am a 39 year old mail and not diabetic. I know i need to stop eating cereal and doritos and stuff and im trying but not easy. I only drink water and don't take any other meds.

i doubt i get any answers as Ive posted this on 8 forums and no answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Question about lab test and pre diabetes

I'm sorry to tell you that with an a1c of over 10, you definitely have diabetes. Normal is around 4 or 5. Anything over 7 leaves you at increased risk of complications like blood flow issues, kidney failure and blindness.

The best thing you can do right now is cut the carbs from your diet (all "white" food - potatoes, rice, pasta, etc) and get more exercise. Some supplements help slightly with insulin resistance, but without the dietary changes and exercise they won't do much.

As for the met, you are not at the max dose yet, but I have to agree with your doc that you went from prediabetic to full blown diabetes in a short time. You need to be treated aggressively to prevent the development of complications. Some folks with an a1c like yours are put on insulin right away and then weaned off as they do better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
I'm sorry to tell you that with an a1c of over 10, you definitely have diabetes. Normal is around 4 or 5. Anything over 7 leaves you at increased risk of complications like blood flow issues, kidney failure and blindness.

The best thing you can do right now is cut the carbs from your diet (all "white" food - potatoes, rice, pasta, etc) and get more exercise. Some supplements help slightly with insulin resistance, but without the dietary changes and exercise they won't do much.

As for the met, you are not at the max dose yet, but I have to agree with your doc that you went from prediabetic to full blown diabetes in a short time. You need to be treated aggressively to prevent the development of complications. Some folks with an a1c like yours are put on insulin right away and then weaned off as they do better.

well just because the day he took it it was that high doesn't mean i have it. i didn't a month ago or 6 months ago and i was off metformin for 2 weeks when i took that last blood test.

I exercise plenty. What supplements can help though

Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

The a1c test is an average of your blood glucose over the last 3 months. A result of 10.4 means an average glucose of about 250 mg/dl or 13.9 mmol/L if you are in Europe or Canada. So your blood sugar has been high for a while. Normal is less than 100 fasting and less than 140 two hours after a meal.

As for supplements, some folks have good luck with cinnamon (really cheap at the grocery store) or chromium (available at the health food store).

Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
The a1c test is an average of your blood glucose over the last 3 months. A result of 10.4 means an average glucose of about 250 mg/dl or 13.9 mmol/L if you are in Europe or Canada. So your blood sugar has been high for a while. Normal is less than 100 fasting and less than 140 two hours after a meal.

As for supplements, some folks have good luck with cinnamon (really cheap at the grocery store) or chromium (available at the health food store).
lol u lost me on that, so what is my number? I figure being off the metformin for a week may of influenced it plus 3 hour of sleep that night and eating junk the previous days because of the holidays

Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

ttwarrior, did your doctor send you to a dietician to learn how to follow a low gi diet? i agree with above, you have a very high a1c result for someone who is only prediabetic but it can also depend on what you are eating. Have you ever been sent for a glucose tolerance test? you would know if you had because it takes a couple of hours, or is your doctor only relying on a1c results

Old 01-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
lol u lost me on that, so what is my number? I figure being off the metformin for a week may of influenced it plus 3 hour of sleep that night and eating junk the previous days because of the holidays
The a1c, aka hba1c or glycocylated hemoglobin test measures the percentage of hemoglobin cells that have sugar stuck to them. A person without diabetes will have about 4 or 5 % of their cells stuck with sugar. You have over 10%. There are various translators on the internet that will tell you what your average glucose is based on the a1c %. Your average glucose for the last 3 months (although it is most accurate for the last 6 weeks) is about 250. The a1c test is not affected by what you ate the day or week before. While glucose levels over the previous week may affect it slightly, unless you were running at about 1000, the test gives a better idea of what you've been running for the last month and a half and isn't really affected that much by the previous week.

Because this seems to have happened so quickly, have you asked your doctor to test you to see if you actually have type 1? This is formerly known as juvenile diabetes but can happen at any age.

Best of luck to you. You also might want to have the test repeated just to make sure it isn't a lab error (remote possibility but it has been known to happen.)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Type 2 diabetes can come on this fast as well. My father had it hit hard and was on insulin almost from the first test. Went from nothing to being on insulin shots. Alcohol seems to have been a contributing factor to the speed with which he became diabetic. However, when I got it 9 years ago, it came on very slowly and I started treatment when my fasting blood glucose hit 130 at 2 separate blood tests. I've been on metformin since, with the doses going up slowly but surely. For some it comes on fast and some slow and most are in between.

TTwarrior....you doc is doing the A1C as it's something you can't fake. When you eat properly and maybe even take a little too much medication, you can "fudge" the daily blood glucose number so most doc's now know to not base any diagnosis on that one test. So they take the A1C to see what you've been doing over the longer period of time and you got caught. It tells your doc that you are in fact, diabetic.

No one can force you to take the meds. My husband HATES taking anything as do many men. But I watched my father "play" with his insulin and try to find ways to avoid it. He tried to convince everyone that he could drink dry vermouth as it didn't have the sugar of sweet vermouth but it was the alcohol that did the damage and not the dry or sweet label. Amazing how we can lie to ourselves!

And you can lie to yourself too and pretend you haven't developed diabetes or you can go to your doc and get more tests to find out why it developed so fast and how to get it under control. Who knows....you might find out that you have a problem that if fixed, may get rid of the diabetes. But don't play ostrich and bury your head in the sand and pretend you don't have a problem. It could kill you or someone else. My father didn't take his insulin properly and hit a car at 60mph and almost killed everyone in the car...driving with a very high or very low blood sugar is worse than drunk driving and feels somewhat the same. You won't know you are in a blood sugar crisis until it too late.

Do all of us a favor and find out what is going on and how to fix or at the very least, control it. My father died at 62 after only 8 years of uncontrolled Type 2 diabetes......you are only 39....is 47 a long enough life for you? If you want more time than that, see your doc and find out what on earth is happening to you.

Jenny

Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
(male)

dietician, good grief, i dont need a dietician. I already know everything about diet. Doesn't mean i follow it

Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
(male)

im wanting to know what supplements help, nothing else, no other response but natural cures please.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are no natural (or synthetic) "cures". Some folks have limited success with chromium, cinnamon, and ALA (alpha lipoic acid). Beware any supplement company offering to sell you a "cure". They often contain small amounts of herbs that can help with diabetes (do an internet search and you will find all kinds of stuff) but not in sufficient quantities and also at very high prices.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
dietician, good grief, i dont need a dietician. I already know everything about diet. Doesn't mean i follow it
you're not taking this as seriously as you need to. I was diagnosed as prediabetic about 4 years ago, but had symptoms for a long time before that and I've managed to control it with diet alone so far. That doesn't mean it will be the same for you (I've never had an a1c result as high as yours) but diet is a crucial part of controlling your blood sugar whether you are on medication or not, and you are playing russian roulette with your health right now if you don't eat the right way.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #13
(male)

dieticians recommend to eat enriched wheat flour, my doc says enriched wheat flour is the #1 cause of diabetes, and not sugar. White sugar is 2nd on the list.

Makes you think.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

It seems you have it all figured out so good luck with it!

Last edited by captjane; 01-07-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
(male)

nope, and hope i drop dead tommorrow, just ate a cake

Closed Thread