HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   OGGT with C-Peptide enough? Urgent, plz (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/886036-oggt-c-peptide-enough-urgent-plz.html)

peace4health 01-18-2012 10:27 AM

OGGT with C-Peptide enough? Urgent, plz

I'm scheduled to have an OGTT on Friday, and I'd appreciate if anyone could reply today or tomorrow.

The doctor told me they'd be checking my Glucose and C-Peptide levels during the 3-hour test, because I occasionally have hypoglycemic symptoms.

My fasting glucose has been in the range of 100-106 (5.6-5.9mmol/L) in the past 8 years, except for a couple of times when it went as high as 111 and 115 (6.2 and 6.4mmol/L). I'm not on any medication, have never been.

Now, [B]my question is [/B]whether measuring only the C-Peptide levels without Insulin is enough for an accurate diagnosis of whatever I have.

I'd like to add that in my country I'm free to choose whatever test I want to undergo, so I may just pay for Insulin and have that done, too. But in that case, does it make sense to have C-Peptide and Insulin tested at every hour, alongside Glucose?

The only reason I'm not very enthusiastic about doing both C-Peptide & Insulin is the cost. I'll have to pay for each test as if it were a routine one, not a part of the OGTT.

Thanks for any input.

[I]Editing to say oops:) I noticed I mistyped OGTT in the title, but hope it's not too misleading. I just can't change it. [/I]

peace4health 01-19-2012 12:59 AM

Re: OGGT with C-Peptide enough? Urgent, plz

Does anyone know if checking C-PEPTIDE levels during the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test is enough for knowing what's going on in my body, or should INSULIN be checked as well?

Thanks

Cora1003 01-19-2012 06:04 AM

Since c-peptide is a by product of the production of insulin, it is a very good indicator of how much you are producing. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that testing for both is redundant and you may as well save some money.

peace4health 01-23-2012 05:40 AM

Well, in the end I had the Insulin levels tested, too. I reasoned it was better to lose money than information. And I've undergone a 5-hour OGTT instead of 3. Just my wish, as I had read that hypoglycemia might manifest itself past the 3-hour mark.

I've posted my Glucose results at the Hypoglycemia board/subcategory here. In my understanding, they do indicate Reactive Hypoglycemia. I have not posted my Insulin & C-peptide results in order not to overload readers in one post. I think I'll do post them later.

Thank you anyway, Cora!

JJ 01-23-2012 12:02 PM

[SIZE="2"]Sometimes it is better to lose a bit of money to get accurate testing. At least this way you know what the results are and know exactly what is going on. Hopefully you made out well. I am going to look at your other post to see how you did.

Best of wishes....JJ....:wave:[/SIZE]