It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
Question OGGT with C-Peptide enough? Urgent, plz

I'm scheduled to have an OGTT on Friday, and I'd appreciate if anyone could reply today or tomorrow.

The doctor told me they'd be checking my Glucose and C-Peptide levels during the 3-hour test, because I occasionally have hypoglycemic symptoms.

My fasting glucose has been in the range of 100-106 (5.6-5.9mmol/L) in the past 8 years, except for a couple of times when it went as high as 111 and 115 (6.2 and 6.4mmol/L). I'm not on any medication, have never been.

Now, my question is whether measuring only the C-Peptide levels without Insulin is enough for an accurate diagnosis of whatever I have.

I'd like to add that in my country I'm free to choose whatever test I want to undergo, so I may just pay for Insulin and have that done, too. But in that case, does it make sense to have C-Peptide and Insulin tested at every hour, alongside Glucose?

The only reason I'm not very enthusiastic about doing both C-Peptide & Insulin is the cost. I'll have to pay for each test as if it were a routine one, not a part of the OGTT.

Thanks for any input.

Editing to say oops I noticed I mistyped OGTT in the title, but hope it's not too misleading. I just can't change it.

Last edited by peace4health; 01-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
(female)

Re: OGGT with C-Peptide enough? Urgent, plz

Does anyone know if checking C-PEPTIDE levels during the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test is enough for knowing what's going on in my body, or should INSULIN be checked as well?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Since c-peptide is a by product of the production of insulin, it is a very good indicator of how much you are producing. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that testing for both is redundant and you may as well save some money.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
peace4health (01-19-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
(female)

Well, in the end I had the Insulin levels tested, too. I reasoned it was better to lose money than information. And I've undergone a 5-hour OGTT instead of 3. Just my wish, as I had read that hypoglycemia might manifest itself past the 3-hour mark.

I've posted my Glucose results at the Hypoglycemia board/subcategory here. In my understanding, they do indicate Reactive Hypoglycemia. I have not posted my Insulin & C-peptide results in order not to overload readers in one post. I think I'll do post them later.

Thank you anyway, Cora!

Last edited by peace4health; 01-23-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Sometimes it is better to lose a bit of money to get accurate testing. At least this way you know what the results are and know exactly what is going on. Hopefully you made out well. I am going to look at your other post to see how you did.

Best of wishes....JJ....

Closed Thread

Tags
c-peptide, hypoglycemia, insulin, ogtt