It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
(male)

struff2000 HB User
Please Help

Hello,
I am a type 2 diabetic that was supposed to be controlling it with diet and exercise. Unfortunately I have not done so and my numbers have been high for the past 8-9 months or so. I went to the doctors after 1 year without a blood test and have not gotten the results back yet. He did say that I have a trace of protein in my urine. How bad is this and can I control it? He put me back on Metformin 500mg and cholesterol and blood pressure meds.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Please Help

The trace of protein could be something as simple as a mild infection, or it could be the very early signs of kidney damage. It can be reversed at this stage through good glucose control and good blood pressure control. I suspect that the bp med you are on is one of the variety that tends to help protect the kidneys. All in all you will probably be fine if you can get control of the diabetes. Good luck.

Last edited by Cora1003; 01-27-2012 at 06:31 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cora1003:
struff2000 (01-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
(male)

struff2000 HB User

Thank you so much Cora! I have been reading other posts and it seems like you really know a lot about diabetes. I just want to say thank you for taking the time to help us understand diabetes......

Old 01-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Struff,

From your letter, it sounded as if you had been on metformin but stopped taking it? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I'm wondering why you had stopped taking it. I know that many people complain about gastrointestinal problems (gas, bloating, nausea) with metformin, but many people have found that if they start it on a very low dose (250 mg at a time) and then gradually increase it, they can avoid the side effects.

Diabetes is one of the rare diseases where we, the patients, actually have a lot of control in how the disease is treated. With T2, diet and exercise can be very, very helpful and can even in some cases totally control the illness; but often T2 is somewhat progressive, and if one doesn't control it, one can easily end up on insulin. So it is much better to control it earlier than wait until it's too late. Easier to say and harder to do, I know! But stick with the diet and exercise as much as you can...don't let one bad day turn into 8 bad months again, and stick with the medication. At this stage it's quite likely that you can still prevent complications, and that's what you want to do.

Ruth

Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
(female)

itsmylife87 HB User

I am going through the same issue and i got the same medication as you! He called me last week and told me that I have bad cholesterol that needs to get fixed asap because "my heart" is at stake. My problem is not that I'm not willing to diet and exercise, it's just that I dont have the $$ to pay for the diet and I feel limited of what I can eat. I'm only 24, and this scares the crap out of me. Just last week i had a mental breakdown when i found out about the cholesterol. I feel i have no hope =(

Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
(male)

struff2000 HB User

Ruth,
Thanks for the response! I do not know why they took me off of the Metformin in the first place. I am just scared to death about kidney problems. I started taking the Metformin 4 days ago and just this morning my blood sugar was down to 108 from 170-190. Is it possible to work that fast?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

There's a saying on some diabetes boards when people are talking about medications, insulin, glycemic indexes, etc. - "your mileage may vary." Pretty much applies to everything about diabetes, so I guess the metformin could easily have started working that fast for you. That's a good thing, right?

Ruth

Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
(male)

struff2000 HB User

Hello again,
I just had blood work done and the results were Protein = 30 and Ketones = 10. Both are out of range but other kidney function blood work came back within normal range. What does this mean? Also, I have been having a weak urine stream, could this be from starting Metformin?

Thanks

Closed Thread