It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

vinsquet HB User
Metformin

New to this forum in Diabetes, here is a little history. I have been battling hypothyroidism for the last 2 years since I stopped smoking back 2009, but have been hypo for 12 years. Needless to say since I quit smoking I have gained weight and am 56 years old. About a year ago, my fasting Glucose has been ranging randomly 100, 86, 95, 89, 103, 106 100, 102. In March I asked for A more detailed test A1C Hemoglobin test which ranged from 6.2, 6, 6.3 6.3 and 6 respectively over a period from March thru Dec 2011. My doctor sayís Iím prediabetic and to start watching my carbs and to start exercising. I showed him my exercise log and he saw no problem there.

I have completely changed my diet to low carb (hardly go over 50-70 total Carb daily not net carb) since July, 2011. Actually, I really enjoy eating this way. I was never a sweet tooth person, but would sometimes go on a binge, but I did love Coke. Since being on the low carb, I donít crave Coke anymore and just have lots of water. Do at least 2.5 hours or more of exercise per week most of the time (includes advance step aerobics, walk/jog, and strength training during those times. Before starting the low carbing, I weighed 176 LB and am now at 162 LBs (itís been very slow, could be due to be hypo thyroid too).

I bought a glucose meter and have been testing during the day. My fasting BG is between 100-115 and my post meal reading is between 87 Ė 129. My problem is always the fasting reading and have been reading up on the Dawn Phenomenon.

I seemed to be doing all the right things, low carbing and exercise and cannot get the fasting reading down.
Do you think I could benefit from Metformin and how much dose should I start out with at my weight? I have printed out materials on the benefit of Met for prediabetes and will discuss with the Doctor but wanted your expert opinion. Awaiting your response eagerly. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
(male)

Frederick123 HB UserFrederick123 HB UserFrederick123 HB User
Re: Metformin

I suggest you keep up with the diet and exercise program and don't worry so much about your numbers. In fact,in my opinion, you should throw that meter as far away as you can. You seem too obsessed with the possiblility of becomming a diebetic. Take it from a diebetic, if you are going to get the disease, you will get it. Diet and exercise can delay the onset for years or maybe for ever.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Metformin

metformin is generally used when blood sugar can't be kept under control, but with prediabetes diet and exercise are usually very effective (I've kept mine under control with this for about 4 years now) and have kept my A1c results under 6 all that time. Apart from monitoring your carbs it's also a good idea to break your meals down into 6 small meals a day rather than 3 because it helps keep your blood glucose and insulin levels more even so If you aren't doing that then I would suggest you do and since your A1c results are only just above normal it may be enough to give you better control.

Closed Thread