It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
(male)

Rick49 HB User
Morning BG higher than Bedtime BG

Has anyone had any success in lowering their morning readings?

Rick

Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Morning BG higher than Bedtime BG

How high are your morning numbers and are you on meds.? You may want to do a search on the dawn phenomenon. If this is what your experiencing sometimes a small snack before bedtime will help, mostly some kind of protein and a bit of carbs. Sometimes the longer you go without eating, like all night, sends your BG up. Your much better off eating 5-6 small meals all day then starving your body. Do the search and see if it might be your problem and eating a small snack before bed just may help. Make sure you also discuss this with your Dr. as if your taking meds. he/she may want to adjust your timing.

Best of wishes...JJ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I eat six small, balanced, low calorie meals per day. When I stay true to my diet, my morning blood sugar reading is around 90. When I cheat on my diet.... the more I increase carbs, the higher my morning blood sugar readings.

I also do from 400-500 push-ups per day, 300 weight lifts, 140 weight curls, stationary bike, 18 minutes on my stepper, and two 30 minute power walks with my wife.

Both the diet and the physical exercise help to keep my blood sugar readings in very healthy ranges in the morning and all day long AND I do not have to take any diabetes medications.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
(male)

Rick49 HB User

...I've been trying different nightime snacks before bed and my numbers are around 140. When I go to bed they are usually around 110. I'm not taking any meds yet and am experimenting with diet to see if any meds are going to be necessary. My last A1c was 6, so I bought a glucosemeter and have been checking my FBG in the morning, then I check it before a meal and two hours after a meal.
....I'm seeing that potatoes and rice have quite the dramatic effect on my PP glucose readings. I drink an Atkins shale for breakfast and that brings my BS down fairly quickly into the 100-110 range.
...I've done a lot of searching onthe dawn effect and haven't really found anyone who has found a good solution. I thought maybe someone here had tried something that worked well for them.
Thanks
Rick

Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

One way that sometimes works is stop eating at 7:00 pm. And watch those bedtime snacks, they can do a number on your numbers. And there is the dawn phenomon, I have experienced that myself. Good luck in finding a way to lower the numbers and hugs for today.

Rosier
Never give up.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
(male)

JAYKAN1 HB User

Hi Rick,

To reduce your PP glucose please try replacing potatoe and rice with pasta. This is how I cook my pasta. I boil the water and add some salt then put the pasta in to boil for ten minutes. (I usually use the direction on the package for how many minutes) and take the water out and put some parmesan cheese on it.
It works very well for me and gives me more energy for physical activities.
And keeps my PP glucose low.

Jay

Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
(male)

Rick49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosier View Post
One way that sometimes works is stop eating at 7:00 pm. And watch those bedtime snacks, they can do a number on your numbers. And there is the dawn phenomon, I have experienced that myself. Good luck in finding a way to lower the numbers and hugs for today.
I think that is good advise, thank you. Even though I can't sleep if I'm hungry, I now only have zero carb snacks after dinner. Mostly atkins stuff. I may also be seeing a relationship with what I have for dinner, effecting my early morning sugar. I suspect maybe a rebound effect during the night. I had three mornings where my BS was around 110 and I had low glycemic meals that night for dinner. Last night (6pm) I had eggs and hashbrowns and this morning my BS was 140. So that may be something for me to look at.
Rick

Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
(male)

Rick49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYKAN1 View Post
Hi Rick,

To reduce your PP glucose please try replacing potatoe and rice with pasta. This is how I cook my pasta. I boil the water and add some salt then put the pasta in to boil for ten minutes. (I usually use the direction on the package for how many minutes) and take the water out and put some parmesan cheese on it.

Jay
I'll try that. I haven't tested my BS after a pasta meal yet to see the effect. I have to have gluten free pasta so hopefully it's glycemically ok.
Rick

Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
(female)

Naamah HB User

The best thing to do is to write down what you eat and when you eat it every day. I also record exercise, mood, and other factors like sickness that may be causing my numbers to be high. By recording these things you can determine how your body is responding to what you eat, how you feel, and your exercise level, which will ultimately lead to better control.

Personally, I have found that a small snack with 15-25g of carbs lowers my FBG, but others find it raises theirs. Exercise can have an even bigger impact than eating. Honestly, for myself I think that stress and anxiety played a large part in me becoming diabetic, and anxiety levels are the biggest factor in predicting my FBG. For me, taking anxiety pills for the first time in my life had a huge impact on my blood sugar.

I also have a higher FBG than any other time of the day, including post-prandial after a meal with 40+g of carbs. I am on Metformin, and my morning number is still the highest of the day. However, I have checked my BS at night (3am) and if I take it 1 hr or later after waking up without eating breakfast it is below 100. This means that I am not running high blood sugar for a long period of time, so although I try to keep it as low as possible, I won’t fret about it as long as my A1C is good next on my next visit with the doctor. Try taking your BS a couple of hours before you normally wake up as well as an hour after you wake up (fasting), and see how your numbers turn out. If they are low, then I wouldn’t worry.

If you A1C is below 7%, but especially if it is below 6.5%, it is unlikely that your doctor will recommend medication. I have just come to accept that my normal is a little abnormal in comparison to how most people work. As long as you are not running a high BS all night long, then it should not have a huge impact on your A1C.

When I was diagnosed at the beginning of this year my A1C was 10%. I have revamped my diet to eat only low glycemic index carbs with no more than 45g of carb per meal, and I try to stay at 30g or less most of the time. I have given up white bread, pasta, and potato. I try to eat raw green veggies as a portion of my meal at least twice a day, but three times a day if my numbers are high. This helps tremendously. I also try to exercise at least 3 times a week, but preferably every week day. It is especially important to exercise if you know you will be bending the rules for a birthday or other celebration (I had a small spike around my birthday and valentines day). I started out taking metformin 2x day, glyburide 1x per day, and Zestril at 10 mg. My doctor has lowered by Zestril to 2mg, because my blood pressure was too low, and took me off glyburide because I was experiencing side effects. They also added depression and anxiety medication, which has done wonders for how I feel and my blood sugar. In less than two weeks after diagnosis I went from an average blood sugar of 275 to an average of 110. Now my morning FBS is usually between 105 and 115, and my post-prandial as well as random BS is running under 100. I am pretty sure my medication will be reduced or eliminated when I get my next A1C.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
(male)

Rick49 HB User

Naamah,
...Thanks for the reply. I've been following a diet based on the GI for many years but do allow myself to be "bad" one meal on the weekends. After a few months of following this diet, I saw my blood pressure drop from 135/80 to 118/75 and it has remained in that general area for several years. I also saw my Triglycerides drop from 350 to 97. I have to be gluten free for other reasons and I have greatly reduced my potatoes and rice.
...I started keeping a log of what I eat and my BS reading as you suggested and as long as I avoid loading up on the "Bad" carbs, I'm ok except for that FBC in the morning. It's consistantly 130 to 140 until I eat something. I've tried the carb snacks and protein snacks and so far nothing has really made a difference. There were however 3 mornings where my fbc was around 115. But I could not identify the driving force there but your statement about stress has me wondering. That's one factor I hadn't considered.
...My last A1C was 6 and it's been gradually coming up at every physical, so I'm trying to see what is driving this number. I think the FBC is going to be a factor but I stopped cheating on my GI diet like I was and that may help. Hopefully I can avoid or prevent full blown diabetes but sometimes when I have a high carb meal, my Post Prandial will be in the 190s so that tells me I have issues that need addressed.
...Again thanks for your reply.
Rick

Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
(male)

gator16335 HB User

My morning count was anywhere from 189 to 245 and then after lunch would be around 135 then after dinner 110 - 120 so I found out that eating a half toasted peanut butter sandwich before bed time or even a cpl handfuls of unsalted peanuts would bring my morning numers down to a whopping low of 126.. Works for me..

Last edited by gator16335; 04-12-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
(male)

gator16335 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYKAN1 View Post
Hi Rick,

Jay
Pasta? Wow... Pasta is loaded with carbs.. My doctor told me to stay away from anything that is white, except women...lol..., so pasta for me is wheat, bread is wheat and I have converted over to sweet potatoes which isnt all that bad...

Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
(male)

Rick49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator16335 View Post
Pasta? Wow... Pasta is loaded with carbs.. My doctor told me to stay away from anything that is white, except women...lol..., so pasta for me is wheat, bread is wheat and I have converted over to sweet potatoes which isnt all that bad...
I believe pasta that hasn't been overcooked, still firm (al dente?) is lower on the gI or has less effect than say white bread, because it digests slower than regular wheat products.
Rick

Old 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
(male)

Rick49 HB User

Quote:
My morning count was anywhere from 189 to 245 and then after lunch would be around 135 then after dinner 110 - 120 so I found out that eating a half toasted peanut butter sandwich before bed time or even a cpl handfuls of unsalted peanuts would bring my morning numers down to a whopping low of 126.. Works for me..
I'll give it a try.
Rick

Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
(male)

gator16335 HB User

Quote:
Aw 2 nights in a row I had an orange about 1 hr before bed time and my both morning BGR readings were 113 and 109 respectively. Think I may have come upon something cause I love oranges....

Reply Reply