It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

raishi HB User
Question Not sure what to make of Glucose Tolerance Test results...

Hello!
I recently got my results back from a Blood Test/Glucose Tolerance Test, and have found myself pretty confused about how to react to them, so I thought I'd like to see if anyone was familiar with a situation like this...

Test Results:

Fasting Glucose: 89
Glucose 1 hour after "cider": 137
Glucose 2 hours after "cider": 99

Fasting Insulin: 5.28
Insulin after 1 hour: 63.24
Insulin after 2 hours: 102.40

HOMA-IR: 1.16 (Normal = 1.6 or less)

"Test for insulin secretion delay"/"Ratio of insulin secreted in second half": 2.42H (Normal= Less than 1.5)

Thyroid:
FT3: 2.07 (Normal range of 2.30 - 4.00)
FT4 at 0.87 (Normal range of 0.90 - 1.70)

Testosterone=Normal
Pap Smear=Normal

Other "symptoms":

-Have not menstruated naturally since stopping Birth Control in October of 2010. (Always had irregular periods, but never not menstruated for such a long time.)

-Sensitivity to refined carbs and sugar when not balanced with fat/protein (irritability/loss of clarity)

-Loss of Libido

-Water retention upon consumption of refined carbohydrates or sodium

Other potentially relevant details:

-Have been "underweight" for my height (5'6") for the past 3 years or so, but have never fallen below around 103 pounds.
Dealt with disordered eating/exercise habits for quite a while.

-Chronic stress and sleeping problems for the past 2 years.

-No family history of diabetes or anything other than high blood pressure (I have always had healthy blood pressure)

-Eat very balanced diet low on refined carbs and exercise regularly (walking/hiking).

As I do not see any obvious problems in my current lifestyle, aside from being underweight, stress, and sleeping trouble, I am just not sure where the problem is coming from.

If anyone has any sort of idea what might be going on, and what would be a good approach to dealing with it, I would be incredibly thankful for any sort of feedback or response!

Thank you for reading! Best wishes.

R

Last edited by raishi; 02-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
(female)

peace4health HB Userpeace4health HB Userpeace4health HB User
Re: Not sure what to make of Glucose Tolerance Test results...

The only thing that comes to mind is Insulin Resistance. Your glucose levels are perfect, I think. It seems your pancreas is overproducing insulin, but why? Do you have hypoglycemic symptoms like shakiness, lightheadedness, weakness, sweating and hunger which all pass as soon as you eat something sweet?

I hope someone more informed can help you.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

raishi HB User

Thanks for your reply! I've never experienced shakiness or sweating.. Whenever I eat refined carbohydrates on their own, I tend to feel weak and spacey a couple hours after eating/once I start to get hungry again, and don't deal with the hunger nearly as well (often get irritable and edgy).
Eating something with fat or protein seems to help me more than eating something sweet at such times.
I don't experience this when I stick to a diet higher in fats and proteins with minimal/no refined carbs and sugars...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
(female)

Well, then your high insulin levels are a mystery for me... High insulin in the absense of high blood sugar (at the moment when insulin is measured) usually indicates insulin resistance.

Do you have a blood glucose meter? You could try to test 1 and 2 hours after those meals that make you feel weak. My Glucose Tolerance Test was less informative than a glucometer.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
(female)

Just a thought passed my mind. Could you be having an insulinoma? That's a tumor of the pancreas (NOT cancer) that keeps producing insulin.

I've read that the diagnosis is made by measuring the blood sugar and insulin levels at the same time, and if the blood sugar is low (not sure if low means below normal, or just not high) with a high insulin level, then that confirms insulinoma. Sounds like your case?

I've also read that these tumors are so small that an ultrasound might not show it.

The Following User Says Thank You to peace4health For This Useful Post:
raishi (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
(female)

raishi HB User

I hadn't considered such a thing, but I will look into it! Decided to go ahead and try to get an appointment with an endocrinologist.. Thanks again for for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Closed Thread