It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

pearlofrapture HB User
My dad has Type 2 Diabetes

I heard not long ago that my father now has Type 2 Diabetes. Before he and my mom got married, they used to do extreme hiking and biking, but after my brother and I were born he lost touch with his athleticism. He started getting into really bad eating habits. He drinks far too much soda and has far too much sodium intake, there was a point where he would go to a drive-thru restaurant multiple times a day.

Since I was born he has gained almost 100 pounds (this is over a 19 year span), which is a lot of weight to gain. I personally have had pretty decent eating habits throughout my life, I don't drink soda or go to drive-thru restaurants unless there is not other eating options (ex. car trips). I truly am worried about him. Since he found out he had type 2 diabetes I haven't noticed much of a change in his eating habits. He still seems to eat a lot of sodium and there is still a large soda supply in my house.

I want him to be able to change his lifestyle and lose weight so that the diabetes doesn't shorten his life-span, I don't want to lose my father sooner then I expect to. I was born pretty late in his life, so he is on the older side anyway, and I am afraid that if he sustains these eating habits he won't be there for me or my brother's weddings, and he won't be able to see his future grandchildren. I love him so much and just want to help him. I want these bad eating habits to stop and I want him to take control of his weight and his life. I don't know what I would do without him. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can help change his eating habits? Please help.

I love you dad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
(female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User
Re: My dad has Type 2 Diabetes

Changing eating habits is just one thing to do help in his taking charge. Getting exercise, even just walking is more important for a diabetic. And getting regular diabetic checkups are extremely important also. He has to keep up with his diabetes vigilantly. He can have very bad side affects when not trying to keep up with health issues. Good luck and try to information on diabetes from *****. More information might help. Share the information and see what might happen. Do not push the issue hard, he will resist and deny problems. Good luck and hugs for you both, keep yourself checked also for this also. You can inherit this also. Genes play a big part in this.

Rosier
Never give up.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosier For This Useful Post:
pearlofrapture (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

If he was diagnosed not long ago he may be still in a state of denial. Is he on meds. for it? Nagging him will only make him more reluctant to change his eating habits but maybe if you sit down and have a nice talk with him and tell him of your concerns, it might help.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and yes, I was VERY upset as I always had quite low BS and I was one that went into denial. My Dr. started me on meds. even though my A1C was only 6.4 and for a month after being told I wouldn't take the meds. My husband and my son and daughter are Diabetic and have been for quite a number of years yet with better eating habits and taking a low dose of meds. they are doing fine. After my son had a talk of concern with me I finally gave in and started taking my meds. I'm not a big sweet lover but I definately was a big carb. eater so have now cut down any portions of carbs. and eat more protein type foods and have upt my activity level. None of us have a weight issue, it just seems to run on both sides of the family.

Try having a heart to heart talk with your dad and encourage him to take better care with his diet and activities, it certainly will help.

All the best....JJ......

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
pearlofrapture (02-19-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
(female)

pearlofrapture HB User

Thanks for all the advice! I would tell him/help him get more exercise but he also has pretty bad gout in his legs so that limits his movement. And luckily I don't have to worry about inheriting the gene from him cause I'm adopted! Thanks so much though!

Closed Thread

Tags
diabetes, eating habits, type 2 diabetes