It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

cocolulu HB User
32 yr old - Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy - PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello All-
I have been a Type I diabetic for 25 years;
I have been experiencing pretty severe tingling and needles in my left foot (they come and go)....also, I was diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in my left elbow at the end of 2010.....I'm only 32 years old and terrified at the thought of not being to move, feel, function because of DPN.....my stress levels have climbed through the roof for the past 3 weeks...
I'm scheduled for a nerve conduction test on Wednesday for my left foot....the podiatrist thinks I could have "peroneal nerve problem"

I read a lot of threads talking about the supplements which help with DPN.....how long can I take these for? I'm only in my 30s....can I take those for the rest of my life, if they work?
Does efficiency of the supplements wear off after a while?

My last A1C is 6.6...the one before that was 7.4. i have been on the pump since 2006...since i got the pump, my A1Cs have been 7.2 in average.
My whole body hurts....my arm, my leg feels funny with all the needles and tingling....PLEASE HELP ME!!!
I am truly desperate at this point!!
Is there anyone out there that has been using ALA, GLA, B12, any of those for a long time with positive results?
Also, what combination of these supplements works best?

Thank you!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: 32 yr old - Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy - PLEASE HELP!!!

I used the ALA, GLA and vitamin C (known as the dpn cocktail - do a search for it) for years. I haven't in a while but that is due to other issues. It isn't a short term solution, but it does help. I would highly recommend it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

cocolulu HB User

I had the EMG test done yesterday...they told me everything is normal...no signs of large fiber PN.....they said based on my symptoms & age that it could be a pinched nerve in the back. Here are the reasons:
1) I went in for what I thought was a kidney infection - the culture came back negative; doc said it's a muscle in the back but still put me on cipro for 7 days - preventative??!!
2) tingling in my foot (the 3 outer toes) and peroneal nerve worsen when I sit on a hard surface; sitting on a plastic chair intensifies the needles and tingling in my toes
3) I'm right in the age group prone to pinched nerves (30s)

HOWEVER....yesterday, I noticed burning in my toes for the first time....i have quite a bit a walk to my car from my desk....when i got in the car I could feel a cold-like burning-like sensation in my feet....I should probably also mention that my feet felt really bruised from the EMG test (WORST TEST EVER!!!)
They got better by the time i got home (15 min drive)

So my question is - what do I do next? Could it be small fiber neuropathy that the EMG test is unable to diagnose?
Do I go see a neurologist or a back doctor?
My feet do not hurt at night...actually they feel the best in the morning. I also have no problems going to sleep...they do not bother me.
My feet are cold most of the time....I'm trying to watch now to see if the cold feeling is actually more towards burning.....I'm going nuts!!....hot, cold, burning, tingling....WHEN IS THIS GOING TO STOP?? if ever...

I purchased all supplements for the DPN cocktail....I'm a lilttle worried about the ALA and BGs....read somewhere that it mainly affects BGs in people who take metmorfin...I'm on the pump....how low is low for BGs?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I'm not a doc, but this does sound more like a back problem to me. Especially since peripheral neuropathy usually occurs in both feet. I had a similar problem. I was told by an er doc that I had femoral nerve neuropathy, but it turned out to be a back injury. Everything you describe is what I had in my leg when I had the problem.

I never had any problems with ALA and bgs. In fact, some T2s will take it to help control their glucose levels. Also, anything below 70 mg/dl (4 mmol/L) is considered low. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread