It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
(male)

Piyyyin HB User
Fasting Blood Sugar

I have a question that's been bugging me for years. I am in very good shape, exercise daily (weight lifting, running, soccer twice a week), and eat a low carb diet. Fish, chicken, veggies mostly. I use either soy or olive oil to cook and on salads. Carbs consist of about 100 g beans daily, 3 to 4 pieces of fruit a day, whole wheat bread (sparingly) and a daily oatmeal shake (made with low fat soy milk). I eat virtually no red meat. I drink a glass of wine daily and the occasional beer. Lots of water and green tea. No soft drinks, no fruit juices.

OK, here's the question: My FBG is always between 95 and 100. The rest of my blood panel is enviable. My doc just shrugs when I ask him why it's that high. I have read that it should be less than 90. I'm stumped. I can't eat or be any healthier. So what's going on here? I'm 53 and in athletic shape.

Thanks. I know most of you are dealing with much more difficult heath issues than this.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Fasting Blood Sugar

Your fasting blood glucose is still in a normal range and, given your healthy lifestyle, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It is possible that as you age, you may develop T2 diabetes; however, you are currently doing absolutely everything that you should be doing to prevent that.

It's a little known fact that even very fit, thin, healthy adults can develop T2. There's a very strong heredity factor with T2 but even without that, some people just develop it as they get older. It does NOT necessarily occur only in obese people who don't exercise! So, keep on doing what you're doing and you should be fine, and in your case, if it does progress, it'll be a very slow progression which you'll be able to continue to manage with diet and exercise for several years. All in all, I can see you maybe (just maybe) needing some oral meds in another 10 years or so.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
(female)

notdavis HB User

I'm sort of new to this, but I have a couple of suggestions. You are eating a lot of beans as well as fruit. I would cut back on the portions of both. Most people can get by eating 1-2 fruits per day (berries are the best choice because they are very low in carbs). You can also try cutting out the bread and the oatmeal. I have read that many people with blood sugar problems just don't tolerate oatmeal very well.

You will still need calories to feel full, so try getting them from lower carb sources, like nuts, yogurt, etc.

Maybe try this and see if your fasting numbers go down? Good luck!

Last edited by notdavis; 09-30-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
(male)

ryan883 HB User

I have question that if high sugar increases in blood that is called diabetes but my friend has problem in which sugar level decreases in his blood.What such situation is to be called?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

That is called hypoglycemia. Technically diabetes is hyperglycemia (the hyper meaning high) and hypo is low blood sugar.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
(male)

ryan883 HB User

Thanks for reply.Can you plz tell me what treatment we can do in such situation?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
(male)

ryan883 HB User

Can anybody tell me more symptoms of diabetes?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
(male)

sam480 HB User

Hello,
Your blood sugar level is should be normal as you are describing yourself that you had a
Athletic body and you are doing regular exercise having fewer carobs then after some people gets diabetes from their parents. It's a genetic disorder...

Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
(male)

Jearlm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam480 View Post
Hello,
Your blood sugar level is should be normal as you are describing yourself that you had a
Athletic body and you are doing regular exercise having fewer carobs then after some people gets diabetes from their parents. It's a genetic disorder...
I agree that it's genetic. Nothing can be done about it.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
(male)

Jearlm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan883 View Post
I have question that if high sugar increases in blood that is called diabetes but my friend has problem in which sugar level decreases in his blood.What such situation is to be called?
A variation either way is Diabetes. It is generally inherited. Nothing can be done about it. I have a mild numbness in my toes. I rarely have a reading below 200. I try to diet...without success.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyyyin View Post
I have a question that's been bugging me for years. I am in very good shape, exercise daily (weight lifting, running, soccer twice a week), and eat a low carb diet. Fish, chicken, veggies mostly. I use either soy or olive oil to cook and on salads. Carbs consist of about 100 g beans daily, 3 to 4 pieces of fruit a day, whole wheat bread (sparingly) and a daily oatmeal shake (made with low fat soy milk). I eat virtually no red meat. I drink a glass of wine daily and the occasional beer. Lots of water and green tea. No soft drinks, no fruit juices.

OK, here's the question: My FBG is always between 95 and 100. The rest of my blood panel is enviable. My doc just shrugs when I ask him why it's that high. I have read that it should be less than 90. I'm stumped. I can't eat or be any healthier. So what's going on here? I'm 53 and in athletic shape.

Thanks. I know most of you are dealing with much more difficult heath issues than this.
Perhaps this will give you some comfort: My fasting blood sugars were between 95 and 101 for almost 50 years before they suddenly shot up to 289 at age 70. But I've always avoided exercise, though I have been thin or underweight all my life.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Ryan,

The treatment for hypOglycemia is a fairly high protein low carb diet. If the blood sugar drops too low (much below 70), people sometimes do need to treat that with carbs, but once the blood sugar level gets up to 70, they should immediately follow the carbs with some protein...otherwise they will simply drop too low again.

The cause of hypOglycemia is actually an overactive pancreas which produces too much insulin in response to the stimulus of ingesting carbohydrates. That's why people with hypoglycemia should never eat carbs without also eating some protein and fat...the fat delays the absorption of the carbs, and the protein digests more slowly so there will be something around for the insulin to work on after all the carbs are absorbed.

For Jearlm: Diabetes is NOT a variation either way...diabetes is HIGH blood sugar. As explained above, the opposite (low blood sugar) is, as Cora explained in a previous answer, called HYPOglycemia (diabetes is also called HYPERglycemia). And what on earth do you mean, Jearlm - nothing can be done about it? You can take oral medications or insulin, watch your diet and increase your exercise. If you rarely have a reading below 200, then you need to be on insulin as soon as possible. Consistent blood sugar levels that high are what's going to cause complications, such as the neuropathy in your toes, kidney failure, congestive heart failure, eye problems and possible blindness, skin problems...the list goes on and on. But there IS something you can do to prevent all those things, and that is...get serious about controlling your blood sugar levels. If you're not seeing an endocrinologist, you should be. If you're not testing your blood sugar frequently, you should be. If you're not watching what you eat (meaning, don't eat a ton of carbs at one meal), you should be. And if your oral medication isn't working, you should be on insulin.

Diabetes is a tough disease to deal with, no question about it. But the rewards for dealing with it effectively are very high, and the consequences of NOT dealing with it effectively are very severe.

Ruth

Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
(male)

Jearlm HB User

I test daily and I am on insulin...just too weak to do much exercise, except walking.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
(male)

Jearlm HB User

Thanks...at least I have hope. I test and am on insulin daily.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jearlm,

Well, my question would be...what type of insulin are you on? And do you count carbs and take insulin before every meal? And how often do you test. The numbers you are saying are common for you are very high and something needs to be done to change that. If you can't exercise (and not everyone can...for various reasons), then you need to change your insulin regimen and put more work into matching your insulin to your food intake. It CAN be done, and those numbers CAN be brought down to safer levels.

Ruth

Reply Reply