It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
New health problems

Went to the Dr. Today for my blood work results well now on top of my pad I now have type 2 diabetes . And a shrunken bladder and triger thumb and a painfull left back and hip. They can't give me cortisone either there are fat packs around the nerves of the L1 andL2 vertebra . Now I'm on Metformin 500 mg twice a day for the diabetes.The thing I hate most is I have to change how I eat now that's going to be the killer or me. But I quit smoking 3 years ago so I guess I can do this to. Man I hate getting old. Oh yea nothing they can doo about my back was caused by my job of lifting heavy *** boxes or 30 years. Boy I hope I make it to my own wedding on my own 2 feet in may.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: vann04
BlueSkies14 (03-13-2012), Jacki345 (03-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB Userjgrangran HB User
Re: New health problems

Gosh, Vann sorry to hear that, you really have to watch your health because that diabetes is nonthing to play around with. I hope you are going to a great DR. I would get a second opinion on that I wonder if the drugs you take for your PAD caused that. And if the drugs you take cause a blood level test to be different it sounds like they should of could that diabetes way before now. they once told my mother in law she had diabetes and it turned out she never had it. she did have thyriod problems and later died of colon ca. but she never had diabetes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
Went to the Dr. Today for my blood work results well now on top of my pad I now have type 2 diabetes . And a shrunken bladder and triger thumb and a painfull left back and hip. They can't give me cortisone either there are fat packs around the nerves of the L1 andL2 vertebra . Now I'm on Metformin 500 mg twice a day for the diabetes.The thing I hate most is I have to change how I eat now that's going to be the killer or me. But I quit smoking 3 years ago so I guess I can do this to. Man I hate getting old. Oh yea nothing they can doo about my back was caused by my job of lifting heavy *** boxes or 30 years. Boy I hope I make it to my own wedding on my own 2 feet in may.
Vann

Sorry to hear this.I know its tough to do........but you say you stopped smoking a few years ago,well now its time to STOP DRINKING

Its an issue that many of my friends had to confront/deal with after a diabetes diagnose ......but in the long run its an absolute must

GL,
Ferd144

Last edited by ferd144; 03-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Jacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB UserJacki345 HB User

Ouch Vann, that sux! I'm sorry you're going thru this bad stretch.

I've had trigger thumb (my doc still called it trigger finger) I had never heard of it, but man does it ever hurt. That needle I don't miss tho, and I'm not a wuss about shots. But I will say if you ever are able to get the cortisone shot, it doesn't come back - well, mine hasn't. In fact, oddly my right thumb was locked and I could tell my left was starting up. I didn't bring it up when she shot up the right and I guess there was enough cortisone in the one shot that it took care of both.

Either way, cortisone is BAD stuff. It may relieve the issues instantly, but its NOT good for the heart at all. I always wait till I just can't wait anymore before I get it. (Shoulder acts up)

I sure hear ya on the hip/back thing. Hey Vann, think you prolly should file for SSDI...?? oh yeah, you've already done that. (OK, my comedy routine is over) No applause please, throw money! **snicker-snicker**

Seriously, sorry to hear all of this. Take special care on the diabetes. THATS nothing to blow off. But can be the hardest to handle.

Hugs

Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
(male)

MOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB UserMOnsterpete HB User

Van hang in there. I'm on 2000 metformin a day and lantus injection for my diebetes. And agree with Ferd to stop drinking. Diebetes led to my seizures that I've had for going so long without any control of my sugars.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrangran View Post
Gosh, Vann sorry to hear that, you really have to watch your health because that diabetes is nonthing to play around with. I hope you are going to a great DR. I would get a second opinion on that I wonder if the drugs you take for your PAD caused that. And if the drugs you take cause a blood level test to be different it sounds like they should of could that diabetes way before now. they once told my mother in law she had diabetes and it turned out she never had it. she did have thyriod problems and later died of colon ca. but she never had diabetes.
There is nothing I can take for my pad except a adult aspirin . And as far as the diabiates I just found out that my older sister and brother also have it.i just started to see this dr. I just. Got on Medicare this month.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki345 View Post
Ouch Vann, that sux! I'm sorry you're going thru this bad stretch.

I've had trigger thumb (my doc still called it trigger finger) I had never heard of it, but man does it ever hurt. That needle I don't miss tho, and I'm not a wuss about shots. But I will say if you ever are able to get the cortisone shot, it doesn't come back - well, mine hasn't. In fact, oddly my right thumb was locked and I could tell my left was starting up. I didn't bring it up when she shot up the right and I guess there was enough cortisone in the one shot that it took care of both.

Either way, cortisone is BAD stuff. It may relieve the issues instantly, but its NOT good for the heart at all. I always wait till I just can't wait anymore before I get it. (Shoulder acts up)

I sure hear ya on the hip/back thing. Hey Vann, think you prolly should file for SSDI...?? oh yeah, you've already done that. (OK, my comedy routine is over) No applause please, throw money! **snicker-snicker**

Seriously, sorry to hear all of this. Take special care on the diabetes. THATS nothing to blow off. But can be the hardest to handle.

Hugs
Thanks Jackie I will get this diabiates under controll hell if I can stick it out working 30 years at the same job I can do anything. And stay married to a woman fo 33 years who always cheated on me all the time I can do this with my eyes closed.im a glutton for punishment. Lol Lol

The following user gives a hug of support to vann04:
Jacki345 (03-15-2012)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOnsterpete View Post
Van hang in there. I'm on 2000 metformin a day and lantus injection for my diebetes. And agree with Ferd to stop drinking. Diebetes led to my seizures that I've had for going so long without any control of my sugars.
Thanks I'm going to quit I caught this in the early stages, so I'll get it under controll the dr. Is getting a hold of my insurance for my blood testing supplies.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Hang in there Vann. I also hate getting older because of some of the health challenges associated with growing old. I now have chronic low back pain. Doc told me several months ago I have arthritis in my low spine area really bad. I have to sleep with the head and foot of my bed elevated to relieve some of the pressure points or I literally have to crawl out of bed each morning. Who ever said the golden years were the best years of your life is totally wrong IMO. I would much rather be 25 again, stay 25, work forever, never retire, and then die when my time is up, instead of the normal age progression of getting older, retiring, getting sick, and ultimately dying due to the aging process.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann04 View Post
Thanks Jackie I will get this diabiates under controll hell if I can stick it out working 30 years at the same job I can do anything. And stay married to a woman fo 33 years who always cheated on me all the time I can do this with my eyes closed.im a glutton for punishment. Lol Lol
LOL Vann...I have zero doubt that you can do this my friend!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

have the diabetes thing too, and have to take Metaformin as well, it runs in my family really bad. my younger brother has it and our father dise from complications of it. I have vision probalems from it too, and of course from gttting older, but I was told I have to wear those perscription glasses all the time . And of course they were not covred by my insurance. I did get one regular paior an d a perscription pair of sunglases which are needed in CA. i also smoke , and got very ill a couple of weeks ago , the DR's thought is was infection in the lungs, which happens every year at least once. I take about 9 meidcations a day, on a regular basis, but when sick with other things it is terrible, all I want to do is sleep. I want one of those adjustable beds! If I had one of those I think I would live in that bed A month agaon I jacked up my lower back pretty badly carrying bags of heavy groceries up our stairs. It took several month for the pain to go away, it hurt so bad. I hate the thought of getting older so i am going to try and make the most of my 40's whild I am still there~

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: mscat40
ferd144 (03-15-2012), Jacki345 (03-15-2012), jgrangran (03-15-2012)
Closed Thread