It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
(female)

bimik HB User
Excessive thirst for a month - FSG 97, A1C 5.2% - what is it?

Hi guys,

I'd really appreciate any tips on how I can deal with my thirst. For the last couple weeks I have been having excessive thirst, especially in the evenings. I have been working very long hours and didn't have time to exercise or eat well. I am 125 lbs, 5'9. With my thirst, I also experienced loss of appetite. Last weekend, I felt that I have especially dry mouth and thirst, so I went to the emergency room. My fasting glucose level was 97. A few days ago I went to the primary health care doctor and he check my FSG again, it was 98 ( I had a little bit of Gatorade in the morning, very little though) and A1.C was 52 %. I have checked my FSG before, around 6 months ago it was 93. I don't know what to do about my thrist, it goes really bad if I eat smth salty. My sodium levels were pretty low though. My doctor suggested that everything is fine and I should contact him if my symtoms worsen. I have no family history of diabetes. But I think 97 FSG is almost borderline prediabetic. Could this cause my excessive thirst and dry mouth symptoms? Also, forgot to mention that 2 weeks ago i developed some yeast infection which I also read that is a symptom of diabetes. I am worried as I can't kill my thirst and I don't know what to do about it.

I'd appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.
Bimik

Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Excessive thirst for a month - FSG 97, A1C 5.2% - what is it?

bimik: Excessive thirst can also be a sign of dehydration. Your sugar numbers look great. If you're not eating right then you should at least be drinking something to give yourself some electrolytes. Drink some coconut water or some gatorade that have electrolytes in them. You could very well have a yeast problem or thrush too. You could also have had some type of virus. Have you ever considered detoxifying your body? Yeast infections are common in women that eat a lot of sugar.

The Following User Says Thank You to 92261 For This Useful Post:
bimik (03-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
(female)

bimik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92261 View Post
bimik: Excessive thirst can also be a sign of dehydration. Your sugar numbers look great. If you're not eating right then you should at least be drinking something to give yourself some electrolytes. Drink some coconut water or some gatorade that have electrolytes in them. You could very well have a yeast problem or thrush too. You could also have had some type of virus. Have you ever considered detoxifying your body? Yeast infections are common in women that eat a lot of sugar.
Thanks so much for the reply. I feel better now but I still drink more water than usual, I also drink power drinks as well. There are days when I feel much more thristy, like today and I can quench my thirst. I am trying to consume less sugar now. I also had a non-fasting glucose test done and my result was 109 (fter 2.5 h of eating rice, bread, meat). I counted 2.5 h after I finished eating so it it probbly 3 h after strt of the meal. I might get nother FSG done this weekend because all my other tests are good.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

With those numbers I seriously doubt you have Diabetes, or even pre. You said you have been working long hrs. and not eating or exercising properly either. If you have had any kind of cold symptoms it is a possiblility your system is a bit run down. If your a big coffee or tea drinker, let up on them as they are like a diuretic and will dehydrate you. Stick with either ginger ale or gatorade, but not too much and plenty of water to try and re-hydrate. I get dehydrated easily myself and my Dr. told me to lay off so much coffee and tea and get some extra rest. Just to ease your mind maybe the next time you see your Dr. ask for an A1C test, it is non fasting and will give you an average of what your BS has been running the past 3-4 months.

Wishing you the best....JJ.....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
bimik (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
(female)

bimik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
With those numbers I seriously doubt you have Diabetes, or even pre. You said you have been working long hrs. and not eating or exercising properly either. If you have had any kind of cold symptoms it is a possiblility your system is a bit run down. If your a big coffee or tea drinker, let up on them as they are like a diuretic and will dehydrate you. Stick with either ginger ale or gatorade, but not too much and plenty of water to try and re-hydrate. I get dehydrated easily myself and my Dr. told me to lay off so much coffee and tea and get some extra rest. Just to ease your mind maybe the next time you see your Dr. ask for an A1C test, it is non fasting and will give you an average of what your BS has been running the past 3-4 months.

Wishing you the best....JJ.....
Thanks so much. I did an A1C about a month ago when my symptoms started and it was 5.2 %. I also had yeast infection for which I took antibiotics and now it's gone. My thirst was better. But yesterday I had a steak with brussel sprouts and rice and it was quite salty, after that I was extremely thirsty all the time before going to bed and I woke up with very dry and chopped lips. I do drink lots of tea, so I will limit the intake and maybe drink chamomile. I also feel kind of sleepy after huge meals. I want to get pregnant therefore, I am worried about this issue. I have a quite a stressful job but I try to limit my stress now and drink more. I also reduced sugar intake. I might get another FSG next week.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Bimik: My throat is excessively dry these days too. I have estrogen dominance so I know some of my problems are hormonal. However, the air is dry also and the pollen counts are high. I don't know where you live but many areas of the U.S. haven't had a lot of rain to add moisture to the air and that could be causing problems with your throat. Depending on where you live you might even have the heat on. Ask your doctor to check all of your adrenal glands, thyroid, etc. See if you can get your pH levels checked. Cut back on caffeine if you drink it. It's a diuretic and you need to keep the fluids. Have you tried sucking on hard candies to help?

Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
(female)

bimik HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92261 View Post
Bimik: My throat is excessively dry these days too. I have estrogen dominance so I know some of my problems are hormonal. However, the air is dry also and the pollen counts are high. I don't know where you live but many areas of the U.S. haven't had a lot of rain to add moisture to the air and that could be causing problems with your throat. Depending on where you live you might even have the heat on. Ask your doctor to check all of your adrenal glands, thyroid, etc. See if you can get your pH levels checked. Cut back on caffeine if you drink it. It's a diuretic and you need to keep the fluids. Have you tried sucking on hard candies to help?
Thanks for the reply. I don't think that's my case as I am 28 and usually have regular periods. My thyroid was fine. I cut back on caffeine, I was feeling better for a few days but after a large meal, I again got very thirsty. There's also smth with my throat ( maybe infection) and I get some mucus. I am very afraid it is beginning diabetes

Reply Reply