It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Need some direction...

So I bought a BG meter several months ago when my thyroid was out of whack and I was having issues with hypoglycemia, and I also had a fasting blood glucose done at work over 100. I can't remember what my readings were typically back then but I was testing in the morning before eating and then 1 hr and 2 hrs after eating. I seem to recall my fasting numbers being slightly elevated back then (100 -112) but my readings thru the day all seemed normal, though I don't remember what range I thought was normal.

This week I got out my meter and did a fasting test to make sure I knew how to use it and my # was 126. Tried again the next day and it was 135. I had an A1C done a few months back and it came back as 5.4. Any ideas what would be causing my fasting #'s to be so high? I have gotten lazy with diet and exercise and did get on the treadmill to get some exercise tonight, but from what I've read diet and exercise don't help much with fasting numbers. Is that true?

Are there some guidelines of when I should be testing to keep an eye on this and what my ranges should be?

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Need some direction...

Heckofagal: When you get up in the morning your liver is spilling glucose. For T1's that have highs in the a.m. they call it the dawn effect or the dawn phenomenon. The body is designed like this so you don't faint when you get up. It's giving you sugar so can get some fuel. Try checking your sugars at 2 hour intervals and see what they show. You're better off waking up with a 126 or a 135 instead of a number 70 or lower. Try eating a nighttime snack with some proteins in it, like peanut butter and jelly sandwich or peanuts for proteins. Proteins break down slower and will keep your sugars more stable. An A1C of 5.4 is great.

Exercise is a natural insulin and that's why it helps T2's regulate their sugars better.

Try getting some coconut oil and eat some of it. It'll help boost your metabolism and produce ketones which is the body using fat for fuel instead of carbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Thanks for the response 92261. I've not been diagnosed with diabetes, do these numbers indicate I am headed that way? I am hypothryroid and the last time my thyroid was out of whack it threw off my blood sugars too. I'm thinking that might be what is going on again now.

Just tested 1 hour after dinner and I am at 111. I will keep a log the next few days to keep an eye on things.

I've heard of the health benefits of coconut oil. So producing ketones is a good thing?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Heckofagal: Some may say that those are prediabetic numbers. Are you seeing and endocrinologist for all of this or just your PCP? An endo can see the whole picture. Thyroid and diabetes are all part of the endocrine system. I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar numbers right now. Get the thyroid in order and see what happens.

Producing ketones is o.k. for weight loss. There's a diet called the ketogenic diet that is used for controlling epileptic seizures. It's a high fat diet and makes your body produce ketones. Ketones can be fatal for diabetics if you end up in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). When ketones are present in a diabetic they need to be flushed out. To get rid of them you have to drink lots of water, take more insulin if you're a T1, or get to the hospital. They can dehydrate you and if you get the DKA then you're in deep trouble and could end up in a coma. If you're in DKA you need to be in the ER for sure.

The coconut oil will produce ketones but for a non-diabetic it shouldn't be a problem. You might feel a little nauseous. Your urine will be yellower. Doing a juicing detoxification of your body can produce ketones, too. You might feel like you have the flu for a few days and then you feel like you're on a high with all kinds of energy. You still need to drink tons of water to flush the ketones out because you don't want to end up with kidney stones or kidney damage. They're filtered through the kidneys. You also have to watch for gall stones. When losing weight rapidly you could get gall stones. Doing a juicing detox will push your blood sugars low. You can have ketones with a high OR a low sugar. Many times diabetics get ketones if they've got a sickness, cold, or have one coming on. Having ketones when your sugars are low is worse than having them if you're high. If you're low, you can't get the insulin in there to help flush them out because it just drives your sugars lower. If you can't drink/eat, then you can't take more insulin. Some meds even have the same side effects as low sugars. Estrogen dominance has the side effect of low sugars. There's another thing called Reactive Hypoglycemia. You don't have to be a diabetic to have it. Some people just have low sugars for no reason. If you get ketones, don't exercise. You could pass out!

Reply Reply