It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

ceedeebee HB User
Diabetes/stroke/testing

Hi, All. My mother suffered a stroke on New Years Eve and is still dealing with cognitive issues so I am now responsible for all her meds. Because of the fear of recurrence, I have been trying to manage all the things I can - she's on coumadin, so I manage her blood levels; weight; blood-sugar; four therapy sessions, and so on. Upon leaving the rehab in early Feb, her doc suggested I test her BS 4 times a day - pre-breakfast, an hour before each meal, and at bedtime. I've been doing that and making sure her sugar stays no more than 200 - 250 (acc to her rehab doc). When it is above that, I do learn what I can give her and what I cannot.

Upon seeing her new primary care doctor last week, she said we only need test in morning, as she's more worried about her sugar going low in the morning. My mom is 72, recently diagnosed with diabetes in august 2011, and on 4 mg per day of glimepiride (sp?). Does this make sense to you? I know the pcp was aware that I am on leave from work and taking on a lot and wondering whether she was doing that to help me? Or is just morning testing enough since I reported the average of around 200 during the period I was testing four times a day? My Type A-ness is wondering whether I should go back to the four times a day testing just to make sure, altho I did breathe a sigh of relief when she told me to test once.

Thoughts? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply