It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User
Unhappy Metformin

Has anyone had any side effects from this med. ? Just like to hear your input on this med.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

BrokeBack13 HB UserBrokeBack13 HB User
Re: Metformin

I dont think I have. I think this is like the general everyone with diabetes takes this medication type thing. I have been on Metformin for almost 8 years now, and I take 1000MG 2 times per day. I also take Glipizide and 2 different types of Insulin now.

However, when I did first get put on my oral diabetes medications when I first was diagnosed, I got my first yeast infection. And, I am not sure if it is related to certain medications, but I have gained 70lbs since I have been diagnosed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
(female)

Donna M HB User

No side effects at all, and I've been on it for 4-5 years now.

Take care,
Donna M

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User

Do you mind me asking how high your FBS was when you started metformin ? I guess I'm questioning if I should be on this med. or not.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

DH started taking metformin last month and he's having intestinal difficulties from it... metformin is the first-line medication for type II diabetics - they'll pretty much put you on it automatically because it improves insulin-resistance and helps bring your sugar down.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
(female)

frisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB Userfrisbeefreak HB User

My bf was on that and he experienced chronic diarrhea with this med

Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

If the side-effects are too bad, you can switch to the extended-release version. They say it cuts way down on the diarrhea. Dh is still having problems, but he's only been on it three weeks. He says the XR is easier on his stomach.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

My own question about met is what does it actually DO? DH says it's basically aversion-therapy. If he eats anything with any form of processed sugar in it, or too much carbs, and his blood-sugar gets too high, he gets violently ill and then it drops again! I'm pretty sure that's not its intended effect.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
(female)

geniemac HB User

I take Metformin Plus Actos with goiod results. Are you experiencing problems?
genie

Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
(female)

BrokeBack13 HB UserBrokeBack13 HB User

my fasting blood sugar levels were in the 600's. When they tested it, they all looked at me like I should've been dead or in a coma. They were like, "Oh my God, are you ok"? And I was like, "Yea, I feel fine, what's the problem"? They sent me to the emergency room. That was like, 7-8 years ago though.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Been on Metformin for years. It is known to cause stomach distress in the beginning and seems to get better (not great) with time. Also being itchy in your hands possibly other places. But high sugars can also cause that. It is still a great med for us diabetics I think. Try adding yogurt to your diet it will help with the D.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
(female)

diabetesandme HB User

I have been taking Metformin for about 2 years now. I was put on it because it was thought I was having insulin resistance. Metformin has been a great addition to my insulin regimen. It is known to cause diarrhea in some people when first started, as it did with me, but that soon goes away.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

How much metformin do you take ? DO YOU FEEL IT HELPS A LOT.

The following user gives a hug of support to cuddles1:
diabetesandme (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
(female)

diabetesandme HB User

I take Metformin 2 tablets at dinner and yes it has helped me a lot. At first I didn't really like the idea of taking insulin AND a pill, I thought I was doing something wrong, but some people do build up a resistance to medications when they have been taking it for so long. I have talked to so many other people who take it and they feel it has helped them as well. Has your doctor suggested Metformin?

Old 06-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Yes, My doctor has talked to me about it . I really don't think my sugar is that high. The morning numbers run between 106 112. . My sugar has never been on 125 during the middle of the day. My last a1c was 5.8 . How high does your sugar run ? With my numbers do you think I need metformin? Have you been able to lose weight while on it ?

Reply Reply