It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
(male)

matrix456 HB User
Question Worried of having diabetes

Hello, I'm a newbie here (32 years). I'm worried of having diabetes and here's my story...
Since July of last year I've been constantly worried about my health. The first thing that got me worried was that in the middle of the night I woke up sweating, had palpitations and couldn't breath properly. I was scared of heart attack. After 1 month or so started to have tingling on my left forearm (usually in the same place). Some days I had it, some days not. Later some kind of weak muscle and numbness developed in the left arm (Nothing big, I could lift things the same as before, but worried me).
By the end of the year this episodes of sweating, palpitations and breath started again, mostly at night. I freak out again of hear attack and of dying. Since then it got worse...lost motivation at work, was constantly anxious/depressed, feeling tired, shakeness/tingling/numbess got worse, couldn't sleep properly, had episodes when I though I was going to faint, etc.
Finally, by mid of April I collapsed (couldn't go on any more like this) and went for a full check-up (blood/urine test, heart ultra-sound, EKG, abdominal ultra-sound, chest x-rays), pretty sure that something terrible would come out. To my surprise everything came back normal (except for a few minor things, where results were borderline or by very little out of range. Thyroid TSH was just under normal level, but the doc wasn't worried...said it could be caused by stress). The endocrinologist prescribed a medication for sleep/palpitations (Vagostabyl) and Xanax 0.25mg to take it only when feeling anxious.

I calmed down a bit, but now I'm worried of diabetes and numbess/tingling is back in my arms, body, a few days in my face also. The fasting glucose test I did was in the normal range, but very near the upper limit (I read that glucose level increase if stressed/anxious and I was freaking out before the test). Also triglicerides level was normal.

However I have lost about 4kg in the last 3-4 months (dropped from 83 to 79) (during this time I haven't had the normal appetite, but have forced myself to eat more or less regularly (3 times a day)). Since I started googling (WRONG THING) I read read that weight loss, shakiness/numbess/tingling are symptoms of diabetes also. Another thing that's worrying me is that another symptom of diabetes was darkened skin in elbow, knees or neck. I checked carefully my body and noticed a small spot (a 4-5 mm) in my forearm but near the elbow (a few cm off) where the skin was more dark that the rest (nothing big, but noticeable) and I freaked out. I know that a fasting glucose test followed by a 2 hour check can exclude diabetes, but I'm so freaked out that can't go for a check. I read also that typical symptoms of diabetes are blurred vision, excessive thirst, feeling hungry and excessive urination which I don't have....however I can't get my mind clear I also read that usually diabetes start with the above symptoms and later numbness, tingling, shakeness, darkening of skin, etc are developed. Is it possible that the first symptoms are numbness, tingnling, shakeness, darkening of skin or it's my anxiety symptom that's driving my crazy?

Any response is appreciated. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Worried of having diabetes

I don't know about possible diabetes, but have you been checked for sleep apnea? I used to have palpitations and sweating and would wake up in the night with what felt like a panic attack. It turned out to be a sleep issue. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

It doesn't sound like diabetes to me - it sounds like you are suffering from extreme anxiety about your health. The more worried you are about some particular aspect of your health, the more likely you are to think you have the symptoms. A 5mm dark spot on your skin is just a freckle or mole - NOT the type of skin darkening that is a sign of hormone problems. You're losing weight because you're not eating enough. And numbness and tingling is most often caused by hyperventilation, which comes from anxiety attacks. The very first and most obvious signs of diabetes are the excessive drinking and urinating as your body tries to get rid of the excess sugar any way it can, and you aren't having that problem.

If you are too afraid to go to a doctor to be checked out for diabetes, you can go to the pharmacy and buy a basic store-brand test kit over the counter. They generally come with 5-15 sample test strips, so you don't need a prescription. You can test your own sugar when you wake up in the morning, and hopefully the results will reassure you.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix456 View Post
... The first thing that got me worried was that in the middle of the night I woke up sweating, had palpitations and couldn't breath properly. ... By the end of the year this episodes of sweating, palpitations and breath started again, mostly at night. ...
What type of blood pressure readings do you get in the evening, or at night when your symptoms wake you up?

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Reply Reply