It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 08:23 AM  
(male)

Admirer HB User
Question What blood glucose level is REALLY damaging

Recently diagnosed (though I don't believe so myself) with diabetes (my doctor says so) and have been reading a lot about it lately. They (the medical professionals) have set impossible goals like any fasting blood sugar over 5.6 is killing beta cells or anything above 7.8 after eating is damaging to nerves and arteries (I guess that is why we all die eventually considering these impossible to achieve goals set recently by medical professionals), but what glucose level is REALLY damaging to nerves and arteries causing leg amputations, blindness, kidney failures and heart attacks. My own feeling is that a SUSTAIN level of over 10 or occasional jumps to above 17 are the kind of readings that result in serious problems. Am I right or do I live in an optimistic world of my own? Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by Admirer; 05-27-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 AM  
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: What blood glucose level is REALLY damaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admirer View Post
... Am I right or do I live in an optimistic world of my own?
Are you able to check and recheck your sugar levels yourself?

Someone with diagnosed diabetes would become more optimistic if they were pro-active about their serious health problem and went on an appropriate, balanced, low simple-carb diet; combined with appropriate daily exercise.

It might not be the best choice for you, if you decide to risk your own future health and well-being with higher than scientifically proven, safe blood sugar levels.

At any rate, I wish you the best of health for your future!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-27-2012 at 09:01 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Admirer (06-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2012, 10:50 AM  
(male)

Admirer HB User

I have done my own measurements. It is around 7 in the morning (between 6.4 to 7.3) and goes up to between 10 to 12, 2 hours after supper. Only a decade ago a fasting sugar level of below 7.8 was acceptable and after eating reading of 10 was well within good range and now it has come down to unachievable levels of 5.6 and 7.8 respectively!!!!.

My point was that I don't believe it will cause serious complications at my levels unless it goes up to 15 and higher and stays there for a long while. And my question was if the latter statement was true and if not then what level will cause SERIOUS complications?

The medical experts have not made much progress in curing diabetes and the medications they prescribe (like metformin) are decades old (unlike other diseases, for diabetes there is nothing new on the market to work better than older medications decades old). Instead they set impossible goals (like an after eating sugar level of under 7.8 which even for healthy young adults would be hard to achieve) to make up for their own lack of action or progress!!!!.

Last edited by Admirer; 05-27-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:31 PM  
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

They are not impossible goals. They are just somewhat unpleasant, unhappy and depressing goals. It takes strict dieting and significant physical exercise to achieve healthy blood sugar levels without medication.

I do it. My blood sugar and my blood pressure are both at healthy levels 24 hours per day. I am close to 70 and have Heart Failure and Insulin Resistance (Pre-Diabetes) plus some other serious health problems. I've got to jump through hoops to keep my blood sugar healthy and to survive Heart Failure with energy and a high standard of living.

In my case, I've got Asthma along with Insulin Resistance. If I eat too many carbs during the day, my Asthma bothers me all night long and I don't get any sleep!

Buts...... I miss my pizzas and my beers and my meatball subs and my ice cream and my chocolate and my eating out and my .... etc.,,,, etc., etc. Constantly having to cope with my illnesses can be challenging.

You are a lot younger than me. You obviously don't want to have to struggle with being diabetic. But.... you are smart enough to understand that unhealthy levels of blood sugar, over time, are not healthy for you and will slowly attack every organ, gland and nerve in your body.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-27-2012 at 12:37 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Admirer (06-03-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 03:15 AM  
(male)

Admirer HB User

Thank you very much for taking the time and responding Machaon. Highly appreciated.

In my case I didn't check my blood sugar level because I had symptoms of any kind but randomly. Last time I checked my Glucose level was in 1999 and they were 6.1 in the morning and 11.0, 2 hours after but at that time I was not diagnosed with diabetes because these levels were normal then and now I am because of new standards!!!!!.

Therefore my glucose levels may have been there at those levels for many years without me knowing. So if those levels are really damaging then damage is done already and not much I can do about it. That is why I am asking those who are experts or battling this problem for years as what glucose level is really damaging to our organs because I believe the recently stated level of above 7.8 is too conservative and too harsh to be true.

Last edited by Admirer; 05-28-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM  
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

I don't know how to convert from those levels to the ones they use in the US... but the closer you can manage to get your sugar levels to 'normal' and the longer you can manage to keep them there, the better your health will be. Yes, they have lowered the threshold for diagnosing diabetes and given more people the label of 'diabetic' - but that's because they found out that the earlier people start treatment, the better their control is, and the better their control is, the less likely they are to develop the really nasty diabetic complications. If you can't get your sugar levels down through diet and exercise, try adding medication to the mix.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaji For This Useful Post:
Admirer (06-03-2012), Darly314 (10-17-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Machoan has given you good advice, Admirer. The reason the goals have been upgraded is that the old goals led to too many people having complications before they were even diagnosed with diabetes. In fact, under the old guidelines, many people were diagnosed when they went to the doctor for other problems which turned out to be caused by diabetes.

And under the newer guidelines, complications have been reduced dramatically! With tight control, blindness and amputations are becoming rare, and kidney disease, congestive heart failure, and other problems have become much less common than was the case before. And the numbers you are running, especially after meals, are too high! Sometimes way too high (12 at two hours after a meal is way too high!)

You can continue to believe whatever it is you want to believe, but denial is not your friend, so I would definitely start taking your numbers a bit more seriously. And, for those who are afraid they'll have to go on medications or even on insulin, well...I had to go on insulin to achieve good control, and I'm so glad I did. After 28 years of diabetes, I can proudly say that my kidney function is normal, my vision is normal, and I have absolutely no neuropathy. I'll take insulin and tight control (even though sometimes it's a nuisance) over dialysis, amputated limbs and blindness any day!

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 06-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Admirer (06-03-2012), Machaon (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 AM  
(male)

Admirer HB User

Thank you Ruth for the response.The medical experts should have got it right in the first place as you said many people ended up with damaged organs as a result..... I am tired of them saying one thing one day only to completely reverse it a few years later (remember vitamin E the cardiovascular saver later proven to cause heart attacks. I took vitamin E for years lol and many other examples like bringing a miracle medication to the market only later prove that it causes heat attacks or cancer. Remember Avandia?).

If those numbers are too high (6.1 to 7.0 or 110 to 125 in the morning and 10 to 12 or 180 to 220 two hours after lunch) and damaging as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread then damage is done already to my organs and I can't reverse what has been done since I have had those number since 1999 when those numbers were normal then.

Last edited by Admirer; 06-03-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:14 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Well, actually, you CAN reverse some damage, and certainly you can prevent further damage. And there is no ONE number (i.e. 13, or 15) that will do the damage but, rather, constantly being higher than normal...so even a constant level of 12 will do damage over the long term. And if you test at 12 and aren't on insulin so you can't correct it, you're going to be at that 12 level for several hours each day.

Honestly, Admirer, if you just want someone to tell you that you don't need to do anything to take better care of yourself, then you're probably not going to hear that on this board.

For Kajikit: The conversion factor is 18. So, to convert mmol (which is the UK measure) to mml (the US measure), you multiply by the UK measure by 18 to get the US equivalent, and you divide the US measure by 18 to get the UK equivalent.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 06-03-2012 at 12:14 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Admirer (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 PM  
(male)

Admirer HB User

Actually it is good to know that I can reverse damages caused already if I bring down the numbers. Thanks. I found out a bit of exercise after supper (20 minutes of biking while watching TV) helps a lot. It brought down the 2 hours to 8.0 or 140. The fasting one still high at 6.8 or 120.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 PM  
(female)

actualreality86 HB User

Here are some serious questions for you and please don't think I'm mean about it.

1. Do you not care?
2. Do you take care of yourself? Like, your heart?
3. Do you want to see?
4. Do you want to go on dialysis?

I ask these things because any blood sugar over 12 (216) would be considered high. In some cases, people who have blood sugars over 8.3 (150) is considered high to them. It depends on the person and how tight the control is. When I was diagnosed with Diabetes in 1999 I was 13 years old, my blood sugar was 54.6. (984) I had lost a LOT of weight, I was so sick that I almost died. I would constantly go to the bathroom. I slept for 19 hour days, and the other times I was awake I was throwing up. It was a scary time. I had Pneumonia and the Flu on top of my diagnosis of Diabetes and my anti-bodies attacked the beta cells. My father was diagnosed 2 weeks after I was born in '86 he passed away to cancer when I was 10. He was a Type 1 Diabetic as well, though his diagnosis was late because he was diagnosed as an adult with type 1.

Diet and exercise works in some cases, someone mentioned adding pills.. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about what's best in your treatment and management? I'm just saying that sometimes, seeing posts about people who "don't seem to care about their illness." is hard to read, because I was at that point one time.. Not anymore and I am trying to take best care of myself that I possibly can. I had some scary highs recently due to bad insulin, but I'm quickly getting that under control I had to throw out a whole bottle of insulin to correct the highs.

All in all?

PLEASE be careful about your management.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 AM  
(male)

davedd HB User

Hi sometimes i wonder also.You multiply by 18 to get US numbers & divide by 18 to get canadian numbers.Diabetis is Very complicated.Few dr's know anything.Been to special classes where i dr will say the exact opposite of the other dr.For a lot of people this has little to do with food as it's genetics.My whole family has this for the past 60 years.If i don't eat or eat little does not matter my sugar goes up.You can eat sugary things but everything in small amounts.Lots of miss information out there.If i left this to the dr i would still be on pills with sugar in the 400-600 range.Through the 80's & 90's i was very high every day.But today i am near normal with little side affects.Not sure if insulin has any side affects but metforman & those pills sure did for me.In the end it's up to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to davedd For This Useful Post:
Darly314 (10-17-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 PM  
(female)

ssjup81 HB User

You, it's sorta like the blood pressure thing. A normal level years ago, iirc, was 130/90 or either 140/90, but I'm going with the former. Now a normal pressure level is 120/80 and anything higher is considered "high".
I do find it odd how what was considered "normal" years ago is suddenly considered to be high by today's standards, but I guess they realized that the higher number did, in fact cause some type of damage. Guess the same can go for diabetes.

I also think it depends no the person. For example, with no meds, even if I fast the entire day, it'd still end up pretty high (in the 300s range). If I eat no carbs all day and eat other foods with low carbs or no carbs, it goes up. Anything I put in my body, it usually goes up. Recently, I have been put on insulin (finally! I wanted to be put on it) and the levels are lowering because I'm not skipping out on taking the medicine, and with the way you can take insulin now (unlike my father back when he was diagnosed 20+ years ago), it's not as much of a hassle.

I know my daily levels are bad (my glucose level is a mess now too...very high), and it's not necessarily because of what I ate that caused the problems...it was my body's rejection of the oral medications I was always put on since it was a huge inconvenience for me due to the fact that I had the side effects. Can't work or do any day-to-day activities if my stomach is a mess. They really should try to do something about Metformin and other oral medications that have Metformin in it for those with sensitive stomachs. I have a sensitive stomach, and had that prob way way way before I was diagnosed with Diabetes.

Last edited by ssjup81; 08-20-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 PM  
(female)

Darly314 HB User

My doctor says 160 or over is damaging, for prolonged periods. One hour after meals, ok. I use a meter that does not give the single number digits, how does one calculate?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM  
(female)

Darly314 HB User

My Glucose tolerance was 345, was diagnosed as Type II. Onglyza keeps it 100-120, sometimes lower, higher when teeth abscess.* I read infection can cause spikes, but, Augmentin LOWERS blood pressure and mine is abnormally low (81/56 last week) So its caffeine, high fiber everything, protein, and no sugar added/sugar free candy, ice cream, and cake slices.

I persuaded my local Winn Dixie to carry low sugar baked goods when I wrote and explained they were giving business to Publix. My DR. says no white bread, potatoes, rice etc. I don't miss them, hadn't eaten white bread in years anyway. Sweet potatoes are great. 12 grain bread has TASTE, unlike white bread; Truvia makes fine Italian ice, my recipe:

Boil six ounces spring water, with 4-5 packets Truvia for at least 2 minutes. Let cool or chill until just 'hot'. Pour over crushed berries, cherries, oranges, etc. Freeze and shave. Added to spring water, its a good fruit drink too.

If the current infection would ease up, I'd be back to normal. I don't miss sugar, my max is 30g per day, unless I get vigorous exercise, not hard to meet. Even Chips Ahoy regular have only 8g in three cookies. Still, I'm petite, it never takes much to fill me up.

* I was in a coma, 12 YEARS before the diagnosis from HYPONATREMIA, due to a diuretic for hearing loss. Dehydration DESTROYS teeth. I also developed osteopenia at age 48 due to the dehydration, and natural risk factors (small boned, slim build)