It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
(male)

gecko333 HB User
Please Help :( 20yo Male.

Right, where to begin.

Ever since I was about 14/15, I've had on and off bouts of exhaustion. I've been to the doctors plenty of times - they do blood tests, everything comes back perfectly normal, I've had chest scans, STI checks etc, everything always comes back being perfectly normal - they just tell me it's Chronic Fatigue or that I'm 'depressed' - which I know it isn't.

Sometimes I feel fine, othertimes, not at all - the worst tends to be after meals, especially lunch, around half an hour or an hour after lunch, I feel drunk. I go light and fuzzy headed, really struggle to concentrate, if I get up my vision goes blurry and I have to sit back down again, I get dull headaches on the top of my head etc.

Also, if I don't eat every few hours, I get really irritable and also feel weak and tired.

All of this seems to be getting worse and worse every year. I'll give you an example, I had lunch, walked to the library, climbed to the third floor, and felt so weak and dizzy I had to sit down in the lobby for 20 minutes.

I had dinner round a friends, stood up after dinner and fainted. (only ever happened twice though)

And lately, Alcohol is awful. If I have one drink, I turn into a zombie, not drunk, but really light headed, really dizzy, really tired.

Also, I'm often really thirsty all day long, and I can never quench my thirst. other days, I'm fine. I also really struggle with my weight. Last Year I lost 21lbs and went down to from 161 to 140lbs. I'm 6ft1, 20 years old, fairly active, and I really struggled to get up to 161lbs, I was eating 4/5 meals a day, doing lots of weights at the gym, but then lost it all, even though I was eating 2300-2500 calories a day!

Now I'm back up to 147lbs after again eating portions for two.

Diabetes runs in my family. My grandmother and great-grandmother have it, my mom had it during all her pregnancies, and I swear I have all the symptoms of a blood-sugar related disease, be it Hypo or Hyperglycaemia or the beginnings of Diabetes, but as my blood tests always come back fine, the doctors have ruled it out. But they don't offer any alternatives

When I don't have symptoms, I feel great, but then when they do come about, it's totally debilitating, being 20 years old and on some days not having the energy to do anything past 5pm. It's horrible!

Recently I was walking home and suddenly my vision went, everything went blurry, my vision was spinning, I felt like everything was rotating around me, I have never been so scared in my life. Then loosing 21lbs in 8 months! My symptoms are generally getting worse and worse, the headaches worse, the fatigue worse, I just don't know what to do

I've tried eating 5/6 smaller portions and cutting out High GI foods to attempt to stabilize my blood sugar levels but it hasn't helped. I've had a Gluten Intolerancy test which came back fine, and indeed I tried cutting out gluten for a few weeks but it didn't help, nor did two weeks without dairy, or the months I went without caffeine (not that I ever had more than a cup or two of coffee or tea a day).

Also, I get pins and needles ALL the time, If I raise my leg for more than a few seconds, painful pins and needles sets in. Also my pupils are usually Huge, to the extent that people sometimes ask me if I'm on drugs. I never thought about these two things before, but I've read they both can be symptoms of blood sugar problems.

What tests can I demand for at my doctors? What does this sound like? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

OH and also, as strange as it sounds, I find Lemon REALLY helps. Either Lemon and Hot water, or simply chewing on a slice of lemon (I work at a bar so it's easily available) instantly makes me feel way better but it doesn't last very long.

Last edited by gecko333; 07-02-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mosa HB Usermosa HB Usermosa HB User
Re: Please Help :( 20yo Male.

Maybe you should discuss these with your GP as he may have already done these tests.
1 Blood test called HBA1c this is a test that indicates spikes of blood glucose in aprox the month before the test was done. This might indicate that you might have had high levels of blood glucose, even though the normal blood glucose tests are normal.
2 Ask for a Hormone profile test. Sometimes this test is not done to young people. A hormone imbalance or an auto immune disorder can give you these symptoms especially if either the thyroid or the pituitary glands are involved. These can be easily treated by hormone replacements.
3 You haven't mentioned anything about your stress levels. In high stress situations symptoms such as these are quite common.
4 I also suggest you try to avoid high carbohydrate foods. Try this for a few weeks and see weather you improve or not.
5 These symptoms can also be a manifestation of a mineral or vitamin deficiency. Try for a month or so taking a multivitamin. Some brands offer vitamins and minerals targeted for young males.
6 If you are not completely satisfied with your GP or are unsure about the tests you had done, ask for a copy of your results, and discuss these with another GP for a second opinion.
7 If after all this, and you are satisfied with the answer you get from your GP, while feeling still symptoms you can try taking a food supplement like cordyceps which can boost your energy, and your immunity.

Good luck, I hope I was of help to you.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
(male)

gecko333 HB User

Thanks for your reply.

I did try a low carb / high protein and fat diet, but I found that if anything made things worse.

I had a complete check of all vitamins, minerals and nutrients but they all came back fine, no deficiencies in anything.

I have changed my GP 4 times in the past 5 years due to moving for Uni, moving house etc, but I'm now back with my childhood GP and when I return to england in August I'm going to see him again, and will probably ask for hormone and that specific glucose test.

Would buying a home glucose test kit be effective? So that I can take my own glucose levels throughout the day?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

mosa HB Usermosa HB Usermosa HB User

It can be of help up to a certain extent. With home testing you only get the result of that time you are doing the test. The test I mentioned as I already stated can give you an indication of glucose spikes you might have had in the previous few weeks.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
(male)

gecko333 HB User

Okay, I'll ask if I've had this test.
Further Developments this week - I've lost 2kg in a matter of weeks?! How! I had just managed to put on 3 kilos over the past 2 months and BAM it's gone! I've been eating SO much as well as of late, I just don't understand!
Also, I've just developed an extremely painful, bloody, deep internal hemorrhoid. My doctor's advice, get more fibre and drink less alcohol and caffeine - I don't DRINK alcohol or coffee and I eat about 10-12 portions of fruit and veg a day! Something is seriously wrong with my digestive system/body, it's really depressing.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
(female)

88Girl HB User

Don't mean to scare you but if it gets worse and no sign of an answer, maybe see if your GP can get you a neurologist referral to rule out things like MS. People with MS can be affected by heat and your body temp probably increases after eating.

Reply Reply

Tags
diabetes, headache, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, weight loss