It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

lgm72 HB User
Need advice

I don't know really where to start so here goes....My 72 year old mother has been Type 2 since 1994. At first, she was very good about diet, exercise, and taking her blood sugar. Then she had in her mind that she didn't need to take her blood sugar. She would rely on "feelings" of lows or highs.....and candy would become her quick fix (M&M's) She would be very combative when we tried to get her to take it and keep up with it. My husband, who is a pharmacist, has even gotten her the latest and greatest monitor and still wouldn't do it....

Over the past 1-2 years, we have seen an increase in her sugar intake....at times that is what she would have as an entire meal and a decrease in proper diet and NO exercise. Her A1C is showing the results of this but still she won't listen. It is a constant fight and sadly, one that I feel won't change. She is in complete denial! We are starting to see rages that are becoming more and more frequent where she is getting physical with my Dad. She is having delusions. We know she is slowly killing herself.

I am not sure with HIPAA laws if trying to talk to her physicians will accomplish anything.

Any advice is appreciated!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Need advice

The HIPAA laws prevent a physician from giving YOU any information about your mother, but I don't think the law prevents YOU from giving information to your mother's physician. Given what's going on with your mother, and given that her blood sugar levels are probably so out of whack that it's affecting her mentally and physically, I think a call to her physician is definitely in order. You can just say something like, "I'm not sure what my mother is telling you, but she is no longer testing her bg's at all, and is eating entire meals consisting of nothing but sweets, not to mention the fact that she hasn't been exercising. She's becoming physically combative and I think she's even having hallucinations." Then you have to somehow get her in to see the doctor.

It's also possible that there are some mental changes going on that in itself is responsible for her lack of attention to her diabetes. She really should be evaluated ASAP by a physician and possibly a neurologist.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply