It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
(male)

dman1966 HB User
Hello I'm new here was diagnosed with Mild Diabetes Mellitus type 2.

The problem I have is I don't how if my doc got it rightbecause I took my blood gluocose the other day 6 hours after eating at it was at 91mg/dl......Isn't that normal?......I read it is, my total cholestrol was 210 which is barely boderline high and my bad cholestrol was at 135 which I researched and is borderline high.....The doc said My cholestrol has to be lower or else I'll have to go on meds for cholestrol because of the "mild diabetes Mellitus".....My BP was 132/82 on one dieretic med.....I hate to go on more meds unnessarily.....I'm wondering if this doc just wants to get me on another med for self interest, more visits, more money for the pharms, etc.....These numbers I have don't seem bad to me...91MG/DL blood glucose isn't even high from my research...Plus I had lost 40lbs, and he down played that by saying I'm stil obese.Wthe heck!?...I'm 6 foot 245lbs but am a musclar build my waiste is 40inches pants.....What do you all think? Opinions? Advice?......This doc didn't seem right..Thanks for any feedback!

The Following User Says Thank You to dman1966 For This Useful Post:
fisi (08-01-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Hello I'm new here was diagnosed with Mild Diabetes Mellitus type 2.

Hey Dman...great city you live in! I lived there for a couple of years in the early '70's, and it's still my favorite city in the world (at least, of the one's I've been to.)

Okay...to answer some of your questions. Yes, 91 is normal for a FASTING blood glucose, but what is your bg 2 hours after eating? That's when it peaks for people with either diabetes or pre-diabetes. If you're testing yourself, you should test at least a few times a week after meals. Start the timing from when you BEGIN eating, and then test at the two hour mark. If it's over 160, then you have a problem.

Have you had an HbA1c test (or A1c, for short)? That test measures your average blood glucose over the past 8-12 weeks. It should be less than 5.7. If it's in the range of 5.7 to 6.4%, that is considered pre-diabetic, and anything over 6.5% is considered diabetic.

The fact that all your cholesterol readings (total and LDL) are borderline high is also an indication of possible diabetes, as they usually go hand in hand.

245 pounds at 6 feet even IS definitely overweight. Even with a large frame, you shouldn't weigh much more than 190 and if you don't have a large frame, you should weigh even less.

"wondering if this doc just wants to get me on another med for self interest, more visits, more money for the pharms, etc." No, your doctor wants to prevent you from having all the possible complications of diabetes, such as blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, heart failure, skin and digestive tract problems, connective tissue problems (trigger fingers, carpal tunnel syndrome, frozen shoulder, etc.), amputations of extremities...the list goes on and on. There was an in-depth study and trial of diabetes control and complications about 15 years ago, and it was determined that better (and earlier) control of blood sugar reduced complications by as much as as 60%! That's HUGE! And I've known several people who unfortunately got complications because their doctors minimized their diabetes, as in "oh, you just have a touch of sugar, stop eating sweets." One person I knew died from her doctor's neglect!

So, Dman, it's time to take this seriously. You live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world...don't you want to be alive for many years to enjoy it? You have the chance now to avoid ever having to go on insulin by losing some more weight, learning how to plan your food intake better, add some exercise (hey...just walk up one of those hills once a day!), and avoid all those potential nasty complications. Staying in denial may feel good in the short run, but in the long run it'll come back to bite you.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #3
(male)

fisi HB User

Greetings Dman....,
if at all you are still not sure of your condition i.e Diabetic p/s consult your doctor to check for HgA1c.

fisi.

Last edited by fisi; 08-01-2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: miss spell of the name

Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
(male)

dman1966 HB User

Well I suppose the diabetes wasn't bad enough for him to put me on any meds for diabetes.......He said within 6 months if my bad cholestrol isn't quite a bit lower he will have to put me on a choles med for that.....I don't undersatand how this works, I work out about 3 hours per week, my treadmil just broke though so I have to buy another workout machine...I just did 4 miles on it today in 47 minutes.......My bad choles isn't even that bad, 135 mg/dl, my total cholestrol was 210mg/dl......So what do you all thing?.....The bad part is I smoke 1/2 pack a day.....hard to kick, I also take ABP med Hydrochlorothiazide, an anti drepssant sertraline, and alpazolam for anxiety.....If and when I try to quit smoking my depression hits me bad and my anxiety goes up with that or vise versa

Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
(male)

dman1966 HB User

but he did say I have Mild Diabetes mellitus

Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Dman,

Diabetes is never mild, medium or strong...it just IS. Once you've got it, you need to manage it very carefully. As I said before, NOT managing it well just leads to problems no one wants to have to deal with.

Probably at this point in time you can manage it with diet and exercise. You do still need to lose some weight...sometimes even a 10-pound weight loss can dramatically improve the body's ability to utilize its own insulin. Also, test occasionally two hours after you eat (timed from when you begin the meal, not when you finish.) Your blood sugar at the two-hour mark should be below 160. They say below 180 for diabetics but if you're consistently running 180 at that point, you may need medication.

Please do yourself a favor, Dman, and take this seriously NOW! Trust me, you don't want to be one of those people who only starts managing their diabetes after they already have major neuropathy or kidney disease. I've heard from WAY too many people who say "I only wish I started managing diabetes better years ago." Don't be another one of those people, please???

Ruth

Reply Reply