It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
BG drop from 225 to 128 in 5 minutes??

Immediately after my strenuous cardio kickbox class last night, I tested my bg and it was 225. After 5 minutes I tested it again and it was down to 128. Has anybody had their bg drop this fast after a workout? I only had 68 carbs throughout the day before my workout (not normal for me - just didn't have an appetite yesterday), so if anything I expected to be in the 70-90 range.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: BG drop from 225 to 128 in 5 minutes??

Oh, yeah...it can drop REALLY fast after that kind of workout. Plus, it takes a few minutes for the difference in blood glucose levels to reach the fingertips. It takes even longer for the difference to reach the capillary fluid in the arms, which is why they don't recommend testing on your arm if you suspect you're low.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Thanks, Ruth. I've never had that happen, so my first thought was that my meter wasn't working right. lol!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Nope...your meter was fine. Drops in blood sugar from exercise can be quite major and, of course, when you tested the first time, it was still on the way down.

It can definitely feel like a major, major low when it drops that fast, though, even if it only bottoms out in the 80's or 90's. It's just such a precipitous drop that you really feel it. Actually, it was a good idea to test again...and test again several times to make sure you're not going TOO low. When I go to the gym, I test before I start exercising, then I test again as soon as I finish (and I'm usually low), then I change clothes, go to the smoothie bar, test again (usually even lower), get a smoothie, drink it, and test again to make sure I'm okay to drive. It's really a pain in the you-know-where, but I passed out while driving once (years ago, before pump) and I don't EVER want to be in that position again.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 08-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Reply Reply