It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

rico5000 HB Userrico5000 HB User
Question about blood test results

Hello all,

I had a CBC last Friday and they called and said everything was normal. But today I got a hard copy and Glucose (blood) was flagged. It was 104 and their lab has a range up to 99. The urine was normal.

Obviously I was stricken with upset. Scared. I did have some coffee prior to the test. Otherwise I was fasting.

I'm sure many of you are very experienced with these things and can tell me if I'm worrying over nothing or if there is reason for concern.

I know the same lab had a high in the range of 115 a few years ago so I guess it's been lowered. At least at that lab.

Thank you.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Question about blood test results

Unless you have had problems in the past I wouldn't worry about a 104 reading. They will always flag anything over 99. They keep lowering and lowering the numbers, just like Cholesterol so if your over they make you feel like your dying.

If your Dr. was worried about it he/she can always do an A1C test which shows how your blood sugar has been running over the past 3 months.

I seriously doubt your coffe unless it had cream or milk in it had anything to do with it, but next time just drink water. My Dr. has always told me to drink some water before a blood test as from fasting too long you can get dehydrated and that could throw off some of your blood work.

Next visit to your Dr. ask if he/she is concerned and if not, just let it go. Good luck, and don't lose any sleep over it....JJ.....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
rico5000 (08-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
(female)

Oh, thank you. I've been nervous and shaky since I read the darn thing. I know they keep lowering the number. It was 115 not long ago. I really think they do that to get new customers and sell more drugs. They have done that with cholesterol and blood pressure to name two conditions.

Thank you again. You should like you know what you're talking about.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Your very welcome and yes, I have always believed half the time they lower these numbers to shell out more drugs. As I said, ask your Dr. next visit if he/she is concerned and if so, they can do an A1C which will put your mind totally at rest. It's not even a fasting test and some Drs. do it right in their office although I prefer having it done fasting and at a lab. Your like me, I see something flaged on my blood work and I worry too much about it.

Best of wishes...JJ....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
rico5000 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
(female)

I'm glad you told me about that test and the fact it's not necessary to fast. Yes, I do get upset with the least little thing. If a number is off, I get all anxious and my heart rate goes up. It's awful.

I just came back from seeing my cardiologist. He redid one test that came back flagged but he said I was in excellent health and he wished all his patients were as healthy. Then he added he really meant it as I'm sure he thought I thought he was just saying that to make me feel good. Either way, it made me feel good.

He also said not to be concerned about the 104 number. He said it could be the way they took the blood (I was left with an awful hemotoma and the guy did an awful job of drawing blood. Inserted the needed several times.)

Anyway, you're very kind and I appreciate you talking with me.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
(female)

Talking Re: Question about blood test results

I'm glad you told me about that test and the fact it's not necessary to fast. Yes, I do get upset with the least little thing. If a number is off, I get all anxious and my heart rate goes up. It's awful.

I just came back from seeing my cardiologist. He redid one test that came back flagged but he said I was in excellent health and he wished all his patients were as healthy. Then he added he really meant it as I'm sure he thought I thought he was just saying that to make me feel good. Either way, it made me feel good.

He also said not to be concerned about the 104 number. He said it could be the way they took the blood (I was left with an awful hemotoma and the guy did an awful job of drawing blood. Inserted the needed several times.)

Anyway, you're very kind and I appreciate you talking with me.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad your Cardio Dr. put your mind at ease. I hear ya about the anxious stuff, been there many times myself. Just keep doing what your doing and let that 104 be a memory. Oh yes, some of those people taking blood can really mess you up at times. I usually go to the same lab and get the same gal as one of the other ones really hurts me. If my turn is next I will sometimes request waiting for the other gal...

Best of wishes for many good test results...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
rico5000 (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
(female)

Wink Re: Question about blood test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I'm glad your Cardio Dr. put your mind at ease. I hear ya about the anxious stuff, been there many times myself. Just keep doing what your doing and let that 104 be a memory. Oh yes, some of those people taking blood can really mess you up at times. I usually go to the same lab and get the same gal as one of the other ones really hurts me. If my turn is next I will sometimes request waiting for the other gal...

Best of wishes for many good test results...JJ....
Thank you so much. You're right about them messing you up. My cardio's nurse just called and said my potassium was normal at 4.6. It was not the 5.6 the other doctor's lab had it at. She told me they had messed it up. Not her words. Mine. But my guess is the 104 is the same way. In fact, the doctor called me last night and more or less explained that to me to reassure me I was not prediabetic. He admitted the drug companies intentionally lower the numbers. He said that before I even brought it up! I at least appreciated his honesty about that.

The following user gives a hug of support to rico5000:
JJ (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well this was certainly your lucky day huh? Glad the potassium level is also normal, now hopefully you can have a relaxing weekend.

Your Cardio guy sounds like ours, as he is honest and tells it like it is. Our Cardio guy is watching his weight etc. as his A1C has been running about 6.2..(6 and below is considered normal) and he wants no part of being on any meds. for Diabetes. Many Drs. shove you on meds. if it is just a tad over the 6 but most wait till it is 6.5 and if you can't bring it down with diet and exercise they shove you on meds.

Like our Cardio Dr. told us, yes he doesn't want to see himself or his patients with very high numbers for anything but he also thinks many Drs. panic and put you on meds. for things too soon. Like he said, sometimes the so called cure is worse then the illness as some of the side effects can be brutal.

Glad you have such an honest and caring Dr., there sure aren't too many out there that would call to ease a patients mind. KUDOS to him!!! Now you have a pleasant weekend and forget you even heard the number 104... or hey, you can play that number, it just might be a lucky one!!!

Wishing you all the best.....JJ......

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
rico5000 (08-18-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
blood test, diabetes, glucose, pre-diabetic