It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

angelamy HB User
Unhappy High blood sugar after low

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. I woke up early this morning with a low blood sugar of 54 and treated with 1/2 cup O.J. I then ate a cup of cereal just because I was hungry and bolused for the carbs. Because I still felt bad from the low I laid down for a few to wait for my levels to catch back up. I ended up falling asleep for about an hour and then when I woke up and checked my blood sugar, it was in the 200's. I always treat lows with OJ and never have bad results but seems like if I lay down afterwards then my sugar sky rockets. Does anyone else ever have this problem or know why this would happen?

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

JsAngel HB User
Re: High blood sugar after low

Hi Amy

I'm sorry to hear that you had that happen to you. It's called rebound hyperglycemia, and it happens often, especially if you're Type 1. It happens because it takes the body time to absorb the carbs you eat, so you eat more carbs because you're still not "coming out of it."

I specifically refuse to treat myself with orange juice for this reason. It causes very marked rebound hyperglycemia for me.

I try to control my sugars at 83 mg/dL (this is physiological non diabetic normal), so that's my target number at all times. OJ always pushes me over this two hours after, unless I take more insulin to compensate.

I use smarties. 1 sleeve will raise me 10 points, and they work faster (in my experience) because they're maltodextrin (straight corn sugar).

Hope that helps,
Melissa

edited to add -- I will also use 1/8th of a cup of naked naturals mango juice if you're more comfortable with juice. I'm convinced there's just something in orange juice that makes it unpredictable.

Last edited by JsAngel; 08-21-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
(female)

angelamy HB User

Hi Melissa!

Smarties, huh? I knew someone else that used those to treat their lows too. I think I'll give that a try. I like the juice because its just easier I guess, but here lately its just not reacting the same with me. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
(male)

henword HB User

Amy,

I have noticed that if I sleep after eating, during a time of day when I don't normally sleep, I get high sugars. It's different for every daibetic, but you may have found that if you had had only the OJ, you may not have gotten the high.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

It's also possible that if you're very insulin-resistant, when you lay down, your body doesn't process glucose as well as it does when you're up. I'm on an insulin pump, and my basal rates need to be significantly greater during the time when I'm sleeping then during the day when I'm awake. Also, even though you took the insulin for the cereal, your body may just not have been able to utilize it as well when you were asleep.

It helps if you can follow the 15/15 rule...treat a low with 15 grams of carbs, wait 15 minutes, test again and if not above 80, treat with another 15 g carbs, wait another 15 minutes and test again. Easier said than done, I know [ she said from experience ] but I do try to follow that rule most of the time.

Ruth

Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
(female)

FoodandLoathing HB User

That's so interesting about your orange juice observations! I always, alway used to treat lows with juice, but I switched more recently to grapes, which I jokingly call "nature's glucose tabs" because they're delicious, very high in carbs compared to other fruits, and completely unprocessed and natural. YES, I carry grapes (and glucose tabs) with me everywhere.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
(male)

Jearlm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelamy View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. I woke up early this morning with a low blood sugar of 54 and treated with 1/2 cup O.J. I then ate a cup of cereal just because I was hungry and bolused for the carbs. Because I still felt bad from the low I laid down for a few to wait for my levels to catch back up. I ended up falling asleep for about an hour and then when I woke up and checked my blood sugar, it was in the 200's. I always treat lows with OJ and never have bad results but seems like if I lay down afterwards then my sugar sky rockets. Does anyone else ever have this problem or know why this would happen?

Thanks!
I never hardly have a reading below 200, sometimes 180 or 190's...but feel okay. I am generally tired most of the time, but have other probs...I am 69 yo. Wish I could help...feel sympathetic for you. Thanks

Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Jearlm - see my answer to you in the other post, but I want to add that part of the reason you're so tired is those high blood sugar levels. They really take a toll on your body. Don't know how you're treating your diabetes, but it obviously isn't working, and I'm wondering if you're getting proper medical advice/treatment? You may be 69, but you're not dead yet, kiddo, and you could be living a much better life if you got those blood sugar levels down.

Since we're not supposed to hijack someone else's post, Jearlm, can I ask you to start a new thread and give us some more information about you, how long you've had diabetes, and how it's currently being treated? I just really hate to see someone living with diabetes and feeling like there's no hope for treating it better.

Ruth

Reply Reply