It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User
Need diet help...

Hi everyone, this is my first visit to this board and could really use some advice. My husband, 63, just started taking lantus at bedtime after 6 years of metformin he is getting serious about treating his diabetes. We spoke with a diabetes educator, who gave us lots of good info and his diet plan, but ran out of time before we could discuss it. That will be in 2 weeks. Being the cook of the family I've tried to find recipes that fit his requirements. He was given 15 carb choices a day, which we are doing fine with, but only 5grams of fat per meal/snack. We are having a very hard time keeping within the 5 grams of fat limit, which seems very low since his cholesterol level is very good. Or am i missing something about the fat effects? Even 10 grams per meal would be helpful. Seems if something has low carbs it has high fat. Can any of you who are experienced with this type of diet please advise me how to go about feeding him? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Can he save his snack fat grams for supper? thank you for your help. take care, phyllis

Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
(female)

Momof4Men HB UserMomof4Men HB User
Re: Need diet help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylwill1152 View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first visit to this board and could really use some advice. My husband, 63, just started taking lantus at bedtime after 6 years of metformin he is getting serious about treating his diabetes. We spoke with a diabetes educator, who gave us lots of good info and his diet plan, but ran out of time before we could discuss it. That will be in 2 weeks. Being the cook of the family I've tried to find recipes that fit his requirements. He was given 15 carb choices a day, which we are doing fine with, but only 5grams of fat per meal/snack. We are having a very hard time keeping within the 5 grams of fat limit, which seems very low since his cholesterol level is very good. Or am i missing something about the fat effects? Even 10 grams per meal would be helpful. Seems if something has low carbs it has high fat. Can any of you who are experienced with this type of diet please advise me how to go about feeding him? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Can he save his snack fat grams for supper? thank you for your help. take care, phyllis
I think the 5 grams of fat must be ADDED fat, not fat in the food. Added fat would be butter, additional oil, magarine, sour cream, salad dressing, etc. I think this is worth a phone call to the educator, instead of struggling for two weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

phylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB Userphylwill1152 HB User

Hi Momof4, thank you for the advice. I have a growing list of questions for our next visit, all regarding the fat issue. I will be sure to add your comment to the list. I've been reading that a lower carb and more fat diet plan is an approach that is working for many people. Seems the diet pan my hubby has is almost all carbs, which makes no sense to me. thank you for your help. take care...phyllis

Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
(female)

It does seem sort of odd. My educator has me counting carbs - making sure I eat healthy meals, with bulk of my plate veggies or protein, and servings of carbs (11 servings a day) spread out over three meals and snacks. I realize this is different for everyone. She didn't give me a fat restriction, but the idea is that if you are emphasizing healthy and aware of what are good vs bad fats, that will fall into place. I am not much overweight (6 lbs over "healthy" goal) and have added exercise 4-5 days a week, so maybe that is why she is not too worried about my fat intake. I do think, though, that the 5 grams of fat your educator is speaking of is added fat, not the overall fat content in the food.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've been making low fat meals for years since i have to watch my cholesterol, but his restriction is making it all the harder. I did try to call the educator on Friday but they left early for the long weekend. Her nurse is supposed to call back tomorrow and i am going to ask her about the fat situation. The educator was hurrying to be done with us (she had another appt.) when she handed us the plan and didn't really offer any explanation.

My hubby is overweight, but has lost 20 pounds on his own since last Oct. If i am told that 5 grams is all he can have at our 2 week visit we'll just add alittle more more fat,skip a few carb choices and see if that works better for him.. Are you doing the 15 grams of carbs= 1 choice? I've been doing alot of internet reading about diet and not even the recipes from the ADA are that low in fat nor have i come across any fat restrictions unless the person has heart diseses, which my hubby doesn't.

Thank you for you're help. take care, phyllis

Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
(female)

Yes, 15 grams = 1 choice, unless a serving has more than 5 grams of fiber, then you get to subtract the fiber from the carb amount.

No one has ever said anything to me about fat in relation to blood sugar, just carbs. I googled "type 2 diabetes meal plans" and got some good information, also "ADA Complete Guide to Diabetes" and "Carb Counting" have been very helpful books - both available on ADA website and Amazon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4Men For This Useful Post:
phylwill1152 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Need diet help...

HI Momof4, i talked to the DE today and explained my problem about the fat. At first she was very hesitant to agree to allow more, but when i explained to her that i have been doing lowfat meals for many years she said it was ok, but not to go overboard. i think she was thinking that i was going to deep fry everything in lard...hahaha. So as it stands now i can relax about supper meals, cook as i have been, and keep and eye that he doesn't start slipping up during the day. We are veggie eaters already so that part isn't a problem at all.

Last night for supper i made whole wheat pasta and and measured out 2 potions according the to the box which was 3/4 cup dry. After cooking i was surprised to see how much those 2 servings made. I mixed it with a touch of olive oil and Parmesan cheese was even more surprised that we didn't even finish the 2 portions.

Thank you for your help, if you have any recipes tried and true low carb, not to much fat recipes would you share them with me? thanks again, phyllis

Reply Reply